VAICOM PRO plugin for VoiceAttack

Hollywood_315

F14B RIO Issues

Hey Guys!

I hope someone here could help me with my problem!

Im a RIO on a F14B and want to use the "select" command for changing various frequencies real quick. It works perfectly fine after some training and fine tuning but it only changes the pilots radio not the rio radio. I tried to use another push to talk TX (as i use the SNGL Mode regulary) and it didnt work.

I even bought the AIRIO Plugin to maybe get a workaround, but whenever i issue a AIRIO command on the RIO Seat i get a hint that im the RIO (which is true :D though i could overcome that).

So now im stuck there, would be really great if someone could help me!

Thank you in advance

Just checking in to make sure you guys are not suffering from the same packet size issue i ran into recently. Are you seeing the correct module/aircraft displayed on the PTT page no matter which map oder mission you are firing up?

I'm not sure what you mean with regard to the issue, but here is what my PTT screen looks like before I load DCS (SRS mapping enabled):

attachment.php?attachmentid=210545&stc=1&d=1558498750

Once I load the F-14 Cold Start Instant Action mission, the PTT screen shows the same display. Then, I cycle the Select PTT Mapping button (the button just below the selector knob) to default and back to SRS. Then I get the following display:

attachment.php?attachmentid=210546&stc=1&d=1558498820

Does this clarify anything?

562895299_Screenshot2019-05-2200_05_42.png.5f72167887aa09c8a21587ef5a4abac8.png

1635962467_Screenshot2019-05-2200_13_28.png.c4d80bd2e4174b70f715996a97a40da8.png

Seems like you guys have a similar problem like i had. Will write a post on how to check and fix this tonight, in case you are on win 7. Fairly easy and not a biggy, but finding out about what the problem was was very painful indeed.

Looking into my problem, I found only one mod that will not work. I'm using VSN F14A & B mods while getting cash together. All other mods work fine so It must be some script they have left out or disabled in some way. Looks like I will have to do some digging of my own and go through all their LUA files. I thought it was because of the Carriers, but didn't work on the airport runway.

Knew somehow that it couldn't be Viacom Pro at fault. If anyone else has the same problem and finds out the answer before me, please let me know.

Cheers

FIXING UDP PACKET PROBLEMS:

So i guess this goes mostly for folks on windows 7 but might be worth investigating for anyone who has difficulty on getting the correct module/aircraft show up on the PTT page which might be related to UDP packet size and windows receive buffer:

So first, as Hollywood mentions in the intro to Vaicom 2.5, the data transmission between Vaicom/VA and DCS runs via UDP and it doesn't hurt to read the first three short paragraphs to better understand why there can be issues here on wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Datagram_Protocol

The important thing here is, that unlike TCP, UDP connections don't set up a proper connection between sender and receiver (no handshake), instead the sender seems to simply propagate datagrams on a specific port and the receiver must listen for it on that same port. I better paste the pertaining wikipedia paragraph highliting the important stuff:

"UDP uses a simple connectionless communication model with a minimum of protocol mechanisms. UDP provides checksums for data integrity, and port numbers for addressing different functions at the source and destination of the datagram. It has no handshaking dialogues, and thus exposes the user's program to any unreliability of the underlying network; there is no guarantee of delivery, ordering, or duplicate protection. If error-correction facilities are needed at the network interface level, an application may use Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) or Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) which are designed for this purpose."

Now, i had the problem that the actual voice commands worked fine but only on some missions did the PTT page display the correct module. I spent something like 40 hours over a couple of days trying to find out why that was happening. Neither the trouble shooting information on the Vaicom homepage nor the manual did address in detail what specific requirements Vaicom presuposses in relation to ones windows network settings so you are kind of left in the dark fumbling around. In the end i found out that there is

a general "DefaultReceiveWindow" that afaik sets the windows wide buffersize for all incoming network packets unless overridden dynamically by the communicating programs or whatnot. Not entirely sure, but increasing this buffer's size resolved the connection issues on my end.

So, windows 7 being older than windows 10 could be the explanation here. If i recall it correctly from my research into this, windows 10 has a DefaultReceiveWindow size of 64Kb, while windows 7 apparently has only 8Kb unless specifically increased dynamically by the communicating programs or increased by the enduser. That is what you need to check and change if need be. This size difference kinda makes sense since back in 2009 when windows 7 launched big ass broadband connections were not the norm for most endusers. Today many folks have 50-500mbit internet connections and windows 10 accounts for that probably from the get go.

After i figured out what the problem likely was, i tested increasing size like 10Kb,12Kb, 24Kb etc., and the sweetspot according to my tests was between 10 and 12Kb. Below, the connection on the Caucasus and some missions was not working ok. Hollywood later stated that the datagram size was about 8Kb. Either it's more than 8Kb and the datagrams coming over UDP from DCS simply do not fit into the DefaultReceiveWindow, or the transmission speed and collection by Vaicom are not in sync. No idea.

Anyway, now this is how you check and alter the DefaultReceiveWindow on windows 7. Again, windows 10 users probably would never run into this issue since windows 10 has a more than sufficient DefaultReceiveWindow by default.

So go read the short description on where and how to check in the windows 7 registry at: http://www.miersengineering.com/2015/03/480/

"

Windows 7 has a default maximum upload (and download) rate.

To increase the upload/download rate the following can be done:

1) Regedit:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM \CurrentControlSet \Services \Afd \Parameters] DefaultReceiveWindow = 1024000 DefaultSendWindow = 1024000 If these keys are not present, the default is 8KB for both which was the amount of data

2) If the DefaultSendWindow / DefaultReceiveWindow value is not in there, you will need to add it. Right-click on the right column and choose “New > DWORD Value (32-bit)” and name it DefaultSendWindow (DefaultReceiveWindow). Make sure that you enter it exactly like that, with the first letter of each word capitalized."

For me, i did not have this key at all, only the DefaultSendWindow. So i did as advised and added this as per the description above. I set it to its maximum value of 16777216 decimal or 1000000 hexadecimal (16mb). But i am not entirely sure whether this high value i actually applied, there was some conflicting information on various microsoft blogs and other websites. But the default window will be bigger than the default 8KB, and afaik for all network traffic on your system. I have not researched whether this should be an issue or something, so keep that in mind.

@Home Fries and Ghost Dad Recon

Let me know whether you don't have the registry key and if adding this with a high enough value fixes your issues...i am curious i must admit :)

@Hollywood

You mentioned that you are going to deprecate win 7 and 8 support in the future. Any specific reason for this? Something that you intend to implement that is not supported by pre windows 10 versions? Because i gotta say, for us privacy minded users it sucks if more and more programs require windows 10, unless there is a really compelling reason for you to do this. From what i know about Vaicom, i don't see any fundamental issue that makes it harder or more failure prone on windows 7 instead of windows 10. Both perfectly support Net. 4.5.2 and we probably now know how to make sure the datagram UDP stuff needs to be checked and configured on windows 7 if stuff is not working properly.

Anyway, hope this helps some of you...cheers.

Edited by sc_neo

Glad it worked out for you in the end :)

And, yeah i felt pretty annoyed when i got it working and the issue was so simple to fix. So documention is key, i am sure Hollywood will update the manual und troubleshooting section to account for the DefaultReceiveWindow issue.

Im a RIO on a F14B and want to use the "select" command for changing various frequencies real quick. It works perfectly fine after some training and fine tuning but it only changes the pilots radio not the rio radio. I tried to use another push to talk TX (as i use the SNGL Mode regulary) and it didnt work.

Might be something to do with Jester radio commands in general at this point. For some reason, he's stopped tuning his radio for me too. I used to say "Jester, tune Stennis" and he'd tune his radio around to the required channel (13 in my missions case), now the command goes through, but he doesn't tune the radio.

I haven't flown the Tomcat in over a month, so there have been a couple of updates to the Open Beta, and one to VIACOM and Voice Attack. Anybody else seeing this?

Voice Attack just shows this on any radio press:

7:13:28 PM - TX2 | VHF/UHF ARC-182: [ F-14 AI RIO ],[ ],[ ] Select Recipient [ ] [ ]

7:13:28 PM - Recognized : 'select Stennis' (contains 'select')

7:13:26 PM - (awaiting additional input)

7:13:26 PM - Recognized : 'jester'

or if I just say select and wait for the tone as I would tuning my own radio;

7:13:36 PM - TX2 | VHF/UHF ARC-182: [ F-14 AI RIO ],[ ],[ ] Select Recipient [ ] [ ]

7:13:36 PM - Recognized : 'select'

7:13:35 PM - (awaiting additional input)

7:13:35 PM - Recognized : 'jester'

Tuning the Pilot radio myself works perfectly.

7:03:11 PM - TX3 | VHF FM: [ CVN-74 John C. Stennis ],[ ],[ ] Select Recipient [ ] [ ]

7:03:11 PM - Recognized : 'stennis'

7:03:10 PM - (awaiting additional input)

7:03:10 PM - Recognized : 'select'

VAICOM version 2.5.10.0

AIRIO Version: 2.5.2

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Might be something to do with Jester radio commands in general at this point. For some reason, he's stopped tuning his radio for me too. I used to say "Jester, tune Stennis" and he'd tune his radio around to the required channel (13 in my missions case), now the command goes through, but he doesn't tune the radio.

I haven't flown the Tomcat in over a month, so there have been a couple of updates to the Open Beta, and one to VIACOM and Voice Attack. Anybody else seeing this?

Voice Attack just shows this on any radio press:

7:13:28 PM - TX2 | VHF/UHF ARC-182: [ F-14 AI RIO ],[ ],[ ] Select Recipient [ ] [ ]

7:13:28 PM - Recognized : 'select Stennis' (contains 'select')

7:13:26 PM - (awaiting additional input)

7:13:26 PM - Recognized : 'jester'

or if I just say select and wait for the tone as I would tuning my own radio;

7:13:36 PM - TX2 | VHF/UHF ARC-182: [ F-14 AI RIO ],[ ],[ ] Select Recipient [ ] [ ]

7:13:36 PM - Recognized : 'select'

7:13:35 PM - (awaiting additional input)

7:13:35 PM - Recognized : 'jester'

Tuning the Pilot radio myself works perfectly.

7:03:11 PM - TX3 | VHF FM: [ CVN-74 John C. Stennis ],[ ],[ ] Select Recipient [ ] [ ]

7:03:11 PM - Recognized : 'stennis'

7:03:10 PM - (awaiting additional input)

7:03:10 PM - Recognized : 'select'

VAICOM version 2.5.10.0

AIRIO Version: 2.5.2

I see that you are on FM instead of AM on the radio. same happens to me. the select command tunes correctly but also switches to FM (by default?). asking Jester to change "Radio Mode AM" after tuning the frequency or recipient fixes it and everything works. drove me mad in the beginning until i figured that out... not sure if this is a DCS interface issue or a VAICOM feature.

@Hollywood: your view?

overalien

Hog Driver starting to really like the Tomcat

System specs:

Intel i7-8700k - OC to 5.0 GHz

| 32 GB RAM 3600 MHz | Nvidia 1080ti SLi | Mixed Storage - Win 10 and DCS on Samsung SSD 970 Pro

Flightgear:

7 Displays (3 x 1440p, 1 X 1080p, 3 X Lilliput Touch) | 3 x Cougar MFDs

| Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals | iBEAM Shaker + Simshaker for Aviators w. Sound Module | Helios | VAICOM Pro + AIRIO | TrackIR 5

FIXING UDP PACKET PROBLEMS:

Anyway, hope this helps some of you...cheers.

Bang on. This resolved the issues, good call! Thanks a million!

@hollywood, not sure if it's possible to incorporate the UDP datagram packet size into an update? Seems very likely this was the compatibility issue for both the extended commands and the module display on the config screen.

Actually, i believe i have read during my investigation into the DefaultReceiveWindow config stuff, that programs can be coded to dynamically set that buffer window, increase from default. But i am not sure whether this was for some specific buffer for TCP, or really for that general DefaultReceiveWindow.

I installed VAICOM Pro onto my steam DCS World install and never managed to get it working, I contacted their support and didn't receive any response. Now when I try to uninstall everything my in game radio menu no longer works.

Is there anyone who has installed this on a steam version of DCS and got it working, and secondly how do I get a refund if support won't talk to me?

Hey mate, so for how long have you be waiting for Hollywood to get in touch with you? Is this a one man show and not a fulltime job, so give him some time.

Now, what steps have you taken to verify the installation is setup correctly? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

Edited by sc_neo

Hey mate, so for how long have you be waiting for Hollywood to get in touch with you? Is this a one man show and not a fulltime job, so give him some time.

Now, what steps have you taken to verify the installation is setup correctly? Windows 7 or Windows 10?

It's only been a couple days.

I'm on Windows 10, followed the installation instructions. I'm not sure how to verify it was setup correctly, I placed everything where it was said to place it. Not sure what more I can do there.

From what I could see the VAICOM Pro plugin could be opened using LCtrl+LAlt+C and I could mess around in there. VoiceAttack told me the plugin was initialised and the program itself was recognising sentences and DCS specific instructions and names so I think that means the profile was working. However when I loaded up the game it didn't seem like the module was connecting to my DCS, the VAICOM plugin window didn't display any information from the module I was flying (tried across Hornet, F14, Mig 21 and Mig 29).

Any help at this point would be appreciated as I'm not sure where to go from there.

Edit: Everything is also set to run as administrator.

@sc_neo Hey mate many thanks for updating on the UDP snag for Windows 7. It's being looked into for a fix in next update.

Generally: Windows 7/8 is becoming ever harder to support. Pretty much all support time is spent on Windows 7 cases these days,

it is prone to very specific oddities (like the UDP packet case) which are just not a factor in Win10.

The old Win7 test machine has died recently and specific testing for Win7 in reasonable timeframes is becoming an issue.

Already there are a massive number of testing and support axes to work against for this plugin:

DCS Release or OpenBeta, Singe Player or Multi Player, Easy Communications On or Off, plugin Free or PRO version, Extensions installed or not,

30+ different aircraft modules, combinations of settings, and then Windows of 7 8 or Windows 10,.. you get the picture.

While I will still try to support for legacy Windows versions where I can, win10 will become the only officially supported OS going forward.

PM me in any case of more questions and thanks again for you determination with tracking down the UDP thing :thumbup:

@Highwayman-Ed Can you try using the Select command without call Jester first, e.g. just say 'Batumi,.. Select.'

@overalien See answer to @Ed

@Linkage Looks like you may need to point to your DCS install folder with the custom path option.

Run a DCS Repair first.

Look here for the 2 mins install fix: youtu.be/LchLOQxKfXY?t=722

http://www.vaicompro.com/faq.html

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

Thanks for the response, followed that video when I installed and followed all instructions. Still no dice. plugin is pointed at my DCS install and the export.lua has been deleted. DCS Verified and even reinstalled. Open Beta option checked as I am on Open Beta within Steam.

Generally: Windows 7/8 is becoming ever harder to support. Pretty much all support time is spent on Windows 7 cases these days,

it is prone to very specific oddities (like the UDP packet case) which are just not a factor in Win10.

The old Win7 test machine has died recently and specific testing for Win7 in reasonable timeframes is becoming an issue.

Already there are a massive number of testing and support axes to work against for this plugin:

DCS Release or OpenBeta, Singe Player or Multi Player, Easy Communications On or Off, plugin Free or PRO version, Extensions installed or not,

30+ different aircraft modules, combinations of settings, and then Windows of 7 8 or Windows 10,.. you get the picture.

While I will still try to support for legacy Windows versions where I can, win10 will become the only officially supported OS going forward.

PM me in any case of more questions and thanks again for you determination with tracking down the UDP thing :thumbup:

I hear you; I experience the same thing with my TARGET profile (Cougar vs Warthog, VR vs TrackIR, modules, etc.), though since it isn't payware I don't face the same pressures that you do. However, I am an experienced test engineer (hardware and software) with a Win7 setup, and I keep both beta and release versions on my PC (for my version comparison), so I would be happy to test and report on your behalf.

Edited by Home Fries

Im having an issue with viacompro. New to voiceattack. IM pretty sure Ive got viacompro installed correctly as it will function with my seitek x-55. Havent made any changes to the profile other than assigning two throttle buttons to the tx1 keys.

Now when I go in game, for instance free flight, the comms menu keeps turning on and off. Ive even tried to disable the \ key and it still occurs. How do I fix this. I made my own profile and this problem doesnt happen so it has to be something in the viacompro profile.

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

Hello,

Any idea about when there will be a patch to correct the conflict between vaicom and the fug 16 (radio) switch in the Bf 109?

The switch always turn off itself when vaicom is on. It can take 30 second or 5 minutes. But it always switch off. :(

Except that, love it.

But because of this bug I have to choice between SRS and Vaicom when in the 109.

Thanks ! :pilotfly:

@Wulf Thanks, the 109 has been looked into before and this is actually a bug in the DCS module itself.

Specifically it responds inadvertently to a 179 external input command.

So it would need to be fixed there. You could try switching Easy Comms On/Off, may help as workaround.

Cheers

Easy comms on/off has no effect. Bug still there :(

@JG13~Wulf Ok as said this is a bug in the Bf109 itself, not in VAICOM.

For reporting: there are unwanted side-effects when processing the 1591/1592 external input commands for PTT.

@Gunterlund21

If your menus pop up when using PTT: make sure to clear all key / button bindings in DCS config, user manual page 10.

If you see a blinking menu: this means the lua files in Saved Games are properly installed, but the ones in the DCS program folder are not.

Specifically it points to RadioCommandDialogsPanel.lua not being configured properly.

The standard way of approaching is 1) run a DCS repair, 2) confirm VA runs as admin, and 3) set the custom path in the Config tab.

On manual page 35 there's a listing of the lua files involved and their locations for manual inspection. Also make sure no other apps are interfering in export.lua.

@Linkage Assuming you're on Win10 with VA latest version 1.7.5.

For Steam it can be a matter of trying without the ob option checked. PM me if you get stuck.

@Fries Much appreciated mate. Yep that TARGET profile looks like a pretty elaborate piece of work for testing as well.

We got our hands on a temp replacement box we'll probably keep that for the Win7 reference so should be OK. Cheers :joystick:

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com