VAICOM PRO plugin for VoiceAttack

Hollywood_315

I tried https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=242134 but could not get it to work most likely I'm installing it incorrectly still learning.

Could you give more detailed instruction on how to install it. Used mainly for ATC replies and JTAC, fly mostly in VR.

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

It's probably easiest if you use something like JSGME, as that makes it easier to reinstall mods after a DCS update has overwritten them. Just put the mod folder into the Mods folder in your DCS root folder and when you open JSGME, it should appear as an inactive mod. Move it to the right hand column to activate it and reload DCS.

Once you have done that, you can check that it works by using LShift & F3, when there is a radio message on screen and you should see it remain there. LShift & f5 should toggle it on and off and LAlt & f5 should remove it altogether.

Give me a shout if you need a hand with the VA profile that allows you to make those key combinations work via voice recognition and I'll probably just link my profile.

I initially had trouble getting the plugin to work in DCS but the troubleshooting guide worked, specifically repairing DCS from within steam properties. It found 12 files that needed to be fixed. Afterwards I removed the export.lua from the saved games/dcs open beta folder and almost everything works now. The problem is the PTT page stays stuck on easy com and a single radio use. With the FA18C that means only the com 1 switch on my hat switch is working. Is this normal or should the PTT page change to suit the module?

The “detect new module” and open beta boxes are ticked and custom path is set and saved.

I tried restarting everything, starting voiceattack after DCS, before it, after loading the module (starting mission or hot start), removed the export.lua again. All still the same.The voice commands are going through properly though so its definitely hooked in at least.

Any ideas?

Make sure that you are running VA as Administrator and that it is the export.lua file in the Scripts folder that you are deleting. I'm guessing that the latter is true, as I have never seen an export.lua file in the DCS root folder and it sounds like it is being recreated, when you restart VA/VP, as it should be.

Edit: it is worth noting that the module name will not be displayed in the PTT window until you have actually started the mission. after it has loaded

Is there a command for Jester to tune a preset radio channel on the aft radio?

I don't have the F14 yet, but from the list of commands in the manual, it would appear that you can only ask Jester to tune to a specified frequency. there is a select command, that you can use such as Select Channel 5, but i think that might just tune your own radio rather than ask Jester to tune his. Might be worth a try though.

I don't have the F14 yet, but from the list of commands in the manual, it would appear that you can only ask Jester to tune to a specified frequency. there is a select command, that you can use such as Select Channel 5, but i think that might just tune your own radio rather than ask Jester to tune his. Might be worth a try though.
I've tried that, it doesn't work, sadly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I initially had trouble getting the plugin to work in DCS but the troubleshooting guide worked, specifically repairing DCS from within steam properties. It found 12 files that needed to be fixed. Afterwards I removed the export.lua from the saved games/dcs open beta folder and almost everything works now. The problem is the PTT page stays stuck on easy com and a single radio use. With the FA18C that means only the com 1 switch on my hat switch is working. Is this normal or should the PTT page change to suit the module?

The “detect new module” and open beta boxes are ticked and custom path is set and saved.

I tried restarting everything, starting voiceattack after DCS, before it, after loading the module (starting mission or hot start), removed the export.lua again. All still the same.The voice commands are going through properly though so its definitely hooked in at least.

Any ideas?

Is your PTT mode set to Norm on the PTT tab of the VAICOM config screen? If not, what is it set to?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

I've tried that, it doesn't work, sadly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Looking at Chuck's guide for the F14, it would appear that there is a way, via the radial menus, to do what you are trying to do, but if this has been added since the last AIRIO release, it may be that it is a command that is yet to be added.

However, even though it doesn't appear in the list of RIO commands, have you tried something like "Radio Tune Channel 4", when pressing the INT PTT?

Hi Hornblower. I'm Golden. Followed your instructions and, after a number of test flights with full comms, I'm now back in business As it turned out, I already had Skatezilla's app so it was no problem doing the repair. However, like the last time I put it in motion, it broke my HELIOS setup. Fortunately I backed up my lua files. Since I'm also in lock down, I'll start the scratchpad & kneeboard build tomorrow. In closing, thanks a bunch for your help. Will keep you abreast of developments. Have a good one.

Mike

Thanks for responding Hornblower, Greyman! Spot on with the PTT not in norm, i misunderstood the display in the config, to me it looked like the labels for the PTT were fixed and the rotary switch moved to inv, norm etc. so i thought it was on norm already.

That fixed the issue of not being able to use all 6 tx nodes, but its still in easycom even though in DCS its set to off. Is this normal?

Also, to help others, I had an issue where AV and the plugin were working perfectly at understanding the commands and processing them but DCS wouldnt do anything. I would say things like "tower..." and in AV it would say there are no ATCs nearby. Turned out the export.lua and vaicom folder was correctly put in the script folder of saved games/DCS open beta/scripts, but not in the base DCS saved game folder (saved games/DCS/scripts). I simply copied and pasted the two items over and it all worked perfectly.

Does VA / Vaicom work as expected when DCS isn't running?

Have you used the custom setting for the DCS path and do you have the OB box ticked - if so untick this and then restart VA before loading DCS again.

I think the issue might be with Export.lua. ED changed file locations and structures in the change from 2.5.5 to 2.5.6. If the above doesn't work try closing both DCS and VA, delete the Vaicom Export.lua file in your saved games, repair DCS (really recommend SkateZilla's utility for this if you don't already use) and then restart VA (ensuring it is run as administrator) followed by DCS.

Let us know how you get on.

On a separate note, Vaicom now has its own section in Input and Output rather than a single thread of 500+ pages. This means we can now have multiple threads so should make finding answers / getting support easier.

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Just wanted to chime in and confirm that un-ticking the OB checkbox is what worked for me, after several hours worth of wracking my brain with this issue in 2.5.6

Did all of the steps previously mentioned throughout the forum since this compatibility issue reared it's ugly head (deleted export.lua, repair, re-install, run as admin, etc).:crash:

Glad to have VA/VAP working again in DCS beta, since it is what I use more than 2.5.5. stable.

Thanks

Edited by redtail

~Redtail~

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think the biggest problem is that DCS is stuck between 2 incompatible versions for the last 4 months. Maybe it would have been better to have 2 versions of Viacom instead of dealing with all this over and over. 1 for beta and another for stable.

Once stable catches up to the new folder structure 99% of people’s issues will be gone

I think the biggest problem is that DCS is stuck between 2 incompatible versions for the last 4 months. Maybe it would have been better to have 2 versions of Viacom instead of dealing with all this over and over. 1 for beta and another for stable.

Once stable catches up to the new folder structure 99% of people’s issues will be gone

I might be wrong here, but wasn't there this post were Hollywood said one should roll back a VAICOM version for stable?

That said, it's working for me in both on the latest version of VAICOM. It has always been like that for me, as long as I've selected custom path, and checked "ob", when having OB installed. As per posts pre last Christmas, I've started to re-select after EVERY update. OB or stable. And after last OB update, I deleted export.luas

No re-install of anything. But I see your point.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I don't recall that. Perhaps you are referring to the instruction to roll back VAICOM if you want to roll back DCS OB to 2.5.5. That's in the manual (p. 4) ...

"2.5.5 Open Beta is not supported: for this, revert back to plugin version 2.5.15."

I might be wrong here, but wasn't there this post were Hollywood said one should roll back a VAICOM version for stable?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I don't recall that. Perhaps you are referring to the instruction to roll back VAICOM if you want to roll back DCS OB to 2.5.5. That's in the manual (p. 4) ...

"2.5.5 Open Beta is not supported: for this, revert back to plugin version 2.5.15."

You're probably right. Like I said, I might be wrong.

Anyway, my point was that, I have no issues with stable and OB with the same version of VAICOM. So I'm quite positive that it should be the same for everybody, and having two versions of VAICOM will only add to the confusion.

I really want this to work for everyone! Without having to reinstall anything. To me it seems that making sure the custom path is selected (while not running DCS), checking "ob" where applicable and/or deleting export.luas, restarting Voice Attack, then starting DCS. IN THAT ORDER!

Solves it for 99.99% according to posts here.

New to viacom pro...i seem to have it all working ok but i hear the chatter in the f18 but i dont in the f14...any ideas what i got wrong?
@Dave73

Welcome to the wonderful world of Vaicom

Please could you tell us what Chatter settings you have in the EX tab of the Vaicom config window.

Also, what kinds of mission are you flying (cold start, free flight etc)

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Struggling with Viacom

We'll get you there!

Yes, if the control panel doesn't tell you which module when you're in the cockpit, it will not work. Because it means VAICOM cannot communicate with DCS.

Quick note, you might know this already, Voice Attack with a plain ordinary profile just blindly sends key presses, mouse clicks etc to active window unless specified otherwise. VAICOM is way smarter as it talks directly with DCS behind the scenes. But that means it must know how to communicate with DCS, and for some reason this gets f****d after every upgrade the past 6 months, at least for me.

Like I said, my way to solve it, is usually to just repoint the customer path. But yesterday I had to delete export.lua as well.

I think I had to do this because I had one change to my setup. I reinstalled SRS. (I had it de-installed due to VAICOM issues before).

I cannot make a diagram right now, wouldn't be perfect anyway (God I miss the autocorrect on my MS phone), but let's pretend.

Try this one more time.

1. Close DCS and VA.

2. Delete export.lua in scripts per @Greyman's instructions.

3. Repair DCS, recommend @SkateZilla's excellent app.

4.Open VA and VAICOM profile, and re-select custom path. Open control panel, and don't close VA.

Pause and think. Do you have other apps/plugins installed that might be using export.lua, like SRS, TacView, the rumble thing, SSI???? DCS-BIOS etc. Make note. YES or NO

5.a. NO, start DCS, start a module and see

IF VAICOM displays module=working!

Go to END.

ELSE, let me know. Me think some more.

5.b YES, start DCS, start a module and see

IF VAICOM displays module=working!

Go to END.

ELSE Uninstall ALL of them, and go to 1.

END. Smile and be happy!

Hope this made sence. Crossing my fingers for you!!

I'm looking for help. I too am getting no module name in the Viacom window and the "There are currently no ATC recipients available." message when trying to transmit. I've tried all the advice in the above quote and rolling Viacom back to an earlier version. nothing works. I'm very reluctant to reinstall DCS due to very slow internet, changing from OB to the standard version took in excess of 26 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I'm looking for help. I too am getting no module name in the Viacom window and the "There are currently no ATC recipients available." message when trying to transmit. I've tried all the advice in the above quote and rolling Viacom back to an earlier version. nothing works. I'm very reluctant to reinstall DCS due to very slow internet, changing from OB to the standard version took in excess of 26 hours. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Which plane(s) are you trying in, and are you now running stable (and if so which version)?

Primarily the Hornet but also the F5 I'm using the latest stable edition 2.55
Okay. So you have.

1. Run repair of DCS.

2. SET custom path in VAICOM control panel, and NOT checked "ob", as you're using stable.

3. Deleted export.lua in \saved games\DCS\Scripts folder

4. Restarted Voice Attack

5. Started DCS

If yes, try again.

Have you tried the following from the FAQ troubleshooting

[TABLE]Symptom Module name not shown on PTT page

Symptom Not functioning after DCS update

Cause Faulty lua install due to incorrect or missing DCS path in Windows registry

Remedy Set DCS program files path with Custom Path option (Config tab)

Remedy Fix DCS install path in Windows registry (use regedit) HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Path

[/TABLE]

For the last line the path should be to the root install of your DCS installation (mine is E:\Games\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta as an example)