New VR Settings for 2.5

Wags

Yep . I will be aiming for 4x msaa with my next gpu .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

If I had to choose between the two, I would take MSAA versus SS (PD) any day.

I run 2x MSAA and 1.3 PD.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I use 1.3 SS in OTT and 1.3 PD in game and I think the image looks better than 1.3 just in OTT and better performance than 1.6 in OTT. I wish more people would test a mix between the two and not just say it from a manual. I will test some more with 1.5SS in OTT and max 1.7SS in OTT just to compare but at some point I can very easy be mistaken and fool myself :) .

Also AA in nVidia settings don't do anything at all but 2 or 4x MSAA in game makes big difference in quality! 4x is preferable!

Maybe I will test some more. Same as you I have tested so much it gets difficult to know exactly what's the best. Agreed, in-game MSAA has the most impact but I found it was too heavy on the FSP for what it did and preferred to get an almost as nice with the SS. I may try it on again now if I remove all AA settings from nvidia, yes they don't do much, but I thought they helped, for no impact on FPS (probably says it all really...)

• 2 weeks later...

I Finally got back to flying after an almost 2 month coronavirus hiatus (aka my daughter moved back into my cockpit)

Anyway, stayed in 2.5.5 and tried the thing where I cranked in game pd down to .8 and stream up to 360.

90 fps at 90mhz all day in SP and 45-60 in MP. Was in Just Dogfight all day and not only did frames hold but looked really good in F14.

Next stop, back to 2.5.6 to see if it helped. Couldn’t hardly play it before.

Let ya know what happens.

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

What made the biggest difference for me is "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" in Nvidia Control Panel. Setting it to 4 got rid of most of stutters.

Also, I did some hardware monitoring and realized DCS is taxing my GPU more than my CPU. Thought it was strange as everyone said DCS is CPU intensive. So I moved one of my secondary monitor to motherboard onboard graphics and seems to have helped.

FWIW....The YouTube Community Members Who"ve been given the latest beta patch to publicly preview The Super Carrier report that they see a significant performance increase,

Where did you find this information?

I watched all YT video's I could find and so far, I've only seen Redkite mention VR performance to be OK-ish (sorry can't quickly find exactly where in his video he says this). I also asked GR to expand on it, but just as Redkite he responded that his system isn't fast enough for VR (which actually kind of surprises me, for such popular YouTubers.

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Flew several missions last night F14 in 2.5.6 in the acrobatics server. First worked really well. Startup, taxi takeoff and formation flying was really clear and smooth except an occasional stutter out of nowhere then back to normal.

Stopped for dinner than went back after it. Tried SP refueling training and seemed ok. Slide show When I went back to same Aerobatics MP server.

Turned it off and went to bed. Wanted to see if a reboot helped but didn’t want to deal with the 10 min start up!

Is there a hot start option for aerobatics server in OB? If not there should be.

Edit. This was trying stream ss at 350. Dcs pd .7 btw. Originally had stream ss 75. Dcs pd 8.

Edited by Mr. Big.”Biggs”

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I watched all YT video's I could find and so far, I've only seen Redkite mention VR performance to be OK-ish (sorry can't quickly find exactly where in his video he says this). I also asked GR to expand on it, but just as Redkite he responded that his system isn't fast enough for VR (which actually kind of surprises me, for such popular YouTubers.

Check this one....

Patrick

mini.gif

In the hour long video Jar did with the virtual stingers he said he was getting great performance with his Rift S in the beginning of the video.

I use 1.3 SS in OTT and 1.3 PD in game and I think the image looks better than 1.3 just in OTT and better performance than 1.6 in OTT. I wish more people would test a mix between the two and not just say it from a manual. I will test some more with 1.5SS in OTT and max 1.7SS in OTT just to compare but at some point I can very easy be mistaken and fool myself :) .

Also AA in nVidia settings don't do anything at all but 2 or 4x MSAA in game makes big difference in quality! 4x is preferable!

OTT overrides in game PD. You can easily check it by using Pixel Density overlay from OTT. Right now Oculus overlay's are broken, but you can see it if you look to the side on loading screen

In the hour long video Jar did with the virtual stingers he said he was getting great performance with his Rift S in the beginning of the video.

Ah missed that one

Also reading the questions and answers from STING, this looks really promising! :bounce:

Difficult trying not to get my hopes up too high :P

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Ah missed that one

Also reading the questions and answers from STING, this looks really promising! :bounce:

Difficult trying not to get my hopes up too high :P

:thumbup:I know how you feel....but i think we are need a little something to look forward to now a days....even if it's just a tad better in VR it's something welcomed

Patrick

mini.gif

What made the biggest difference for me is "Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames" in Nvidia Control Panel. Setting it to 4 got rid of most of stutters.

Also, I did some hardware monitoring and realized DCS is taxing my GPU more than my CPU. Thought it was strange as everyone said DCS is CPU intensive. So I moved one of my secondary monitor to motherboard onboard graphics and seems to have helped.

Agreed, this really does improve smoothness. I have tested more and now use 2x MSAA in game and stripped all AA settings from card. MSAA does have performance impact but does also make a really good difference in game. As for in game PD vs oculus SS, This is really hard to tell as after several times testing different combos I can't judge it as well. I think that they are basically achieving the same result, but OTT SS does it with less impact on FPS. This would make sense because any calculations are being done by the oculus software which is likely running on a different core (that's what it appears like in TM) but of course the bulk of the work is being done by the GPU either way. I am back to 1.7 in OTT only and plan to use this for a while, then down to 1.6 for a while and then maybe to 1.5 and see if I notice too much.

Hello, do you know if is possible to disable vibration on touch controllers?

Because it seems that with the latest updates on dcs, the controllers vibrate continuously when you pass the cursor on a clickable switch. This is quite annoying and also drain a lot the batteries.

thanks

A.

I confirm this is still the case with 2.5.5, it vibrates all the time on clickable cockpits.

• 2 years later...

anybody know how to get better spotting in vr? im hopeless! i do tun high pd (1.7-1.8) with ssaa/msaa off and i use fsr 0.5. should i drop pd turn ssaa up and reduce the fsr??

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

2 minutes ago, eatthis said:

anybody know how to get better spotting in vr? im hopeless! i do tun high pd (1.7-1.8) with ssaa/msaa off and i use fsr 0.5. should i drop pd turn ssaa up and reduce the fsr??

I would have suggested first not reviving a 3 year old thread that has to do with a different version of DCS. 😉

If you mean spotting as in being able to identify units further out - there are certain scripts that can be implemented for labels that will have a single pixel populate at a certain distance, and then fade that out as the unit gets closer where you can then actually see it in VR. 

Something similar to:

1 minute ago, Dangerzone said:

I would have suggested first not reviving a 3 year old thread that has to do with a different version of DCS. 😉

If you mean spotting as in being able to identify units further out - there are certain scripts that can be implemented for labels that will have a single pixel populate at a certain distance, and then fade that out as the unit gets closer where you can then actually see it in VR. 

Something similar to:

yes unit spotting, no labels on our servers. i had no idea this was an old thread lol

5 minutes ago, eatthis said:

yes unit spotting, no labels on our servers. i had no idea this was an old thread lol

I'm fairly sure the server can be setup to provide only these dot labels. (Configured at a server level), so the server will allow the client to either have no labels - or if labels are selected by the client - they'll get this 'dot label only' showing up - but only at the distances and color, etc specified. 

It's the only option I'm aware of at the moment to bring VR distance vis in par with 2D.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dangerzone said:

I'm fairly sure the server can be setup to provide only these dot labels. (Configured at a server level), so the server will allow the client to either have no labels - or if labels are selected by the client - they'll get this 'dot label only' showing up - but only at the distances and color, etc specified. 

It's the only option I'm aware of at the moment to bring VR distance vis in par with 2D.

correct, but we dont use labels at all on our server, only for training, just had a play with pd and ssaa with promising results, spotted dot at 20nm but they were highlighted against clouds so thats perfect case

• BIGNEWY locked and unpinned this topic