Mission Editor

rogonaut

+1 A 3D editor would be nice and has been requested many times before (it may already be under consideration, but citation needed). More waypoint types and control over waypoints would be more than welcome for me.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

It is quite unbelievable that dcs doesn t provide such functionality.

It would benefit them so much as more people would build missions and propose them to the community.

When you see currently how much time it taked to properly position items on the map...it is refraining us to create added value to dcs

Yes, the amount of time I spend messing around with exact unit positions is unbelievable, and placing something only to find out half of it is on an awkward hill or being eaten by trees (day of the triffids anyone?) means I spend more time creating missions (by far) than I cumulatively spend flying it - a full 3D editor (or even another zoom level, an accurate top down silhouette of the thing I'm placing and accurate drawings of trees on the map(atm the 1.5 Caucuses just has sorta orange-brown rectangles that can be sometimes misleading) would cut the fine placement time by 10.

I do believe a 3D editor is in the works - and if it's anything like Arma 3's EDEN editor it will be perfect. (The 2D editor should be retained simply because you can see large distances easily, which is better for aircraft and ship waypoints, but for fine placement of static objects (imagine making container walls, I mean you think you've got it right, you find out you haven't, you edit it again, you hit fly now only to find that you've overcompensated and well...

) same goes for setting up FOBs and FARPS in general, especially with no templates for static objects/templates for mixed objects (for say making templates for a FOB with infantry, static objects and aircraft for instance).

When we finally get a 3D editor oooh will things be good...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

And the 3D models could be wireframe+thumbnail, not even full 3D rendering needed and it would serve the purpose as good.

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

+∞

For a visualization of just how useful this tool could be:

3-undo-redo_GIF_OPTIMIZED.gif

No more having to place an object, load the mission, get angry because it has to be moved 5 meters to the left, go back in the mission editor, move it, load the mission up again, get frustrated because you moved it 2 meters to the left too far.. Turned me away from intense mission making.

Circle Waypoints.

3D Preview for placing objects or better 2D objects that show real size and orientation.

that would be great!

I already made a similar thread days ago so watch this before posting because it break a rule, you are not suggesting the "same" thing as i done but just be careful

::https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=198071