1080 or 1080ti

Looking to upgrade my the video card in my new build. My build is a Ryzen 1600X with 16GB ram, but I repurposed the Radeon 4850 from my Dell studio XPS that crashed. DCS would run on the old Dell, but after reinstalling the new updates from the DCS website, it constantly crashes on startup. I checked the log file and it appears to be the video card that is causing the problem.

But enough rambling. Looking to purchase a new card and I am stuck between deciding between a 1080 and 1080ti. I have not played DCS or other computer games in awhile and want to try VR to see if it reignites that spark.

Do not want the pay the extra $200 to $250 for the 1080 just in case it doesn't. So I was wondering what is the practical difference between the two in VR.

Thanks for any help.

Barry

Looking to upgrade my the video card in my new build. My build is a Ryzen 1600X with 16GB ram, but I repurposed the Radeon 4850 from my Dell studio XPS that crashed. DCS would run on the old Dell, but after reinstalling the new updates from the DCS website, it constantly crashes on startup. I checked the log file and it appears to be the video card that is causing the problem.

But enough rambling. Looking to purchase a new card and I am stuck between deciding between a 1080 and 1080ti. I have not played DCS or other computer games in awhile and want to try VR to see if it reignites that spark.

Do not want the pay the extra $200 to $250 for the 1080 just in case it doesn't. So I was wondering what is the practical difference between the two in VR.

Thanks for any help.

Barry

In a nutshell, if you want to use VR, get the fastest card you can find. As of now, that would be the GTX 1080 Ti, or even a Titan if you're willing to spend the cash.

I still think normal monitors are better, they don't suffer from the 'screen door effect' you get with VR headsets. VR resolution isn't quite up to snuff for flight simming yet. A 4K VR headset would be good, but even if one existed, you'd need a Titan V to run it.

So, for a normal screen, the regular 1080 is great, and for VR, get the 1080 Ti.

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I whole-heartedly agree with Magnanimous. I'm actually here today to sell me Helios monitor and cockpit panels because I won't be needing them any longer. VR is WAY better than 3 screen, 3D, or 4K.

Oh yea, get the 1080ti and the Samsung Odyssey if you are doing VR now.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

How does the odyssey compare to the rift. Is it worth the extra dollars?

There's a whole thread dedicated to it in the VR subthread.

Works fine. I tried both, kept the Rift. I did not perceive any visual benefit (which I found odd) so the Odyssey went back.

From a tracking perspective Rift is better. But for DCS Sim use, either will work.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'd say the following (which is a little different what others said before in this thread)

If you are not sure if you can "reignite the spark" to play computer games I would suggest to buy a Geforce 1070... It is affordable and about the same speed as a 980TI (I have one)

For normal VR this Card is quite good and can handle all current VR games due to the more or less low resolution of the common headsets (Oculus and Vive). However if DCS in VR is your major priority I'd agree you should buy the biggest card you can / want to afford.

Edited by Ayindi