OT: Heads up, FreeFalcon4 is released

suntrace1

Wow, I just tried it out and - please tell me that's NOT the way my 3d pit is supposed to look? I've included one shot of the 2d pit for reference. It looks fine, much better than in stock F4.

Everytime I look at this 2D cockpit I'm getting more convinced about LO's qualities.

"See, to me that's a stupid instrument. It tells what your angle of attack is. If you don't know you shouldn't be flying." - Chuck Yeager, from the back seat of F-15D at age 89.

=RvE=

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't think there is a sim I've flown that has topped LOMAC. RV comes closer, but again is limited by the dated feel of the engine and FM makes me giggle sometimes. Dynamic Campaigns and interactive tower controllers really help immersion, but then I look at the ground and lose all sensation of actually flying. When I come low to the ground, I don't feel that sense of speed. This is what kills the immersion for me. I truly think a next-gen flight sim isn't going to be a F4 mod and until someone does release the next generation flight sim tech, LOMAC will probably always be my preference.

I still don't think there is a sim I've flown that has topped LOMAC. RV comes closer, but again is limited by the dated feel of the engine and FM makes me giggle sometimes. Dynamic Campaigns and interactive tower controllers really help immersion, but then I look at the ground and lose all sensation of actually flying. When I come low to the ground, I don't feel that sense of speed. This is what kills the immersion for me. I truly think a next-gen flight sim isn't going to be a F4 mod and until someone does release the next generation flight sim tech, LOMAC will probably always be my preference.

Obviously we have different ideas of immersion. I hate to say it, but the radio chatter, fighter/ATC AI, large strike packages, etc. in any one of the Falcon 4's iterations gives a lot better sense of combat immersion than LOMAC.

sigzk5.jpg

Obviously we have different ideas of immersion. I hate to say it, but the radio chatter, fighter/ATC AI, large strike packages, etc. in any one of the Falcon 4's iterations gives a lot better sense of combat immersion than LOMAC.

I suppose LOMAC and F4 hold two pieces of the puzzle, but I'm generally interested in the sense of flight and visual feedback I get when flying in LOMAC. I really enjoy CAC and when I fly in LOMAC, the sense of motion really wow's me sometimes. Dogfighting in LOMAC is very satisfying. I've played F4AF and the same furballs don't make me feel like I'm actually turning and burning. That said, I'm usually more interested in tactical engagements rather than campaign scenarios, so dynamic campaigns don't hold a particularly strong appeal.

I guess I can't appreciate F4's strengths without first having LOMAC's strongpoints. I don't think I'll get my wish until the next gen sims start coming out, though.

Everytime I look at this 2D cockpit I'm getting more convinced about LO's qualities.

But now there is also an almost fully functional 3d cockpit which looks like this:

20070131233627yg0.jpg

It is clickable and supports 6DOF

It isn't as eye candy as LOMAC is, but we don't have so cute transparent hud in Su-27 :cry: :

2007-01-31_050732.jpg

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I can hardly wait to get a sim with superb graphics (LockOn is really great but still has many graphics bugs and I hate when sounds get lost too) and FM and Radio chatter... smooth online play... and nicely playable on good graphics settings (unline LockOn was when it came out :rolleyes: ).

Hopefully BlackShark and FighterOPS are going that way...

No longer active in DCS...

By the way, it took whole night to download RedViper (I was asleep, I just left the PC do its thing ;) ) I have to wait again till I get home tonight after work to install and see what this fuss is all about :D

Wow, I just tried it out and - please tell me that's NOT the way my 3d pit is supposed to look? I've included one shot of the 2d pit for reference. It looks fine, much better than in stock F4.

I think you need to turn the AF on, try 4AF.

Oh, for AF, I mean Anisotropic Filtering, not Allied Force. :)

Just finished downloading and installing RedViper. I went looking for my F4 disk, but found Mig Alley instead. :joystick: So had to install RV over Allied Force. No wonder LP was so pissy. Red Viper is a HUGE improvement over Allied Force. And I paid 30 bucks for AF. Grrrr...

Because I care deeply for all of you (in a non homo way) I seeded this bad boy for 24 hours. :D

I have been seeding for 2 days .. naner naner

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Zuki" Resident mud mover

CH HOTAS untill it breaks(for life)!

Not affiliated with any "squad":thumbup:

It's sweet, but I'm only getting 4DOF, not Side to side or up and down...

:( any suggestions?

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well I've tried it, and same as you Highwayman, I'm getting left/right up/down and zoom movement only... and overall after trying it tonight, Falcon 4.0, or F4AF with or without FF4, this thing just can't win me over over LockOn.

Yeah, it's got fully clickable cockpit, but then again I don't wanna use the mouse to click on buttons when I'm flying so that comes in nice and handy only when starting up engines etc...

Terrain is still so crappy looking to me there's just no way I can take my time to re learn all the buttons and avionics... the graphics is still soo outdated.

The only thing I find really good with FF4 is that they've added missile engine smoke and burners... they look really nice :D

It's sweet, but I'm only getting 4DOF, not Side to side or up and down...

:( any suggestions?

By default only 4DoF is active, you need to start the patcher (Red Viper Config Editor.exe in your Falcon 4 directory), point it to the correct F4 executable (RedViper.exe) open up

RedViper Configuration -> Track IR Settings -> Track IR DOF Support

and select the bottom option (TIR Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X, Y, Z). Then click Apply Settings and it should work.

• Like 1

It can be installed over F4AF??! is there any difference between this and over original F4?

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

By default only 4DoF is active, you need to start the patcher (Red Viper Config Editor.exe in your Falcon 4 directory), point it to the correct F4 executable (RedViper.exe) open up

RedViper Configuration -> Track IR Settings -> Track IR DOF Support

and select the bottom option (TIR Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X, Y, Z). Then click Apply Settings and it should work.

geee, thanks for that... I'll give it another go :D

err... also, any way to have resolution of 1280x1024????

Yes!

You can install it over Falcon 4 AF. The RV install detects it automatically and asks if you wish to do so.

Frankly RV is WAY WAY in advance of the AF version and undoubtedly will piss people off that bought the game full price.

RV is nothing short of INCREDIBLE and if you read all the docs, there are lots of extras. I just found out how to bump map the terrain and it now looks STUNNING.

No damage model per se but its work in progress and the shadows are still the same but the weather and the model of the F16 takes your breath away.

Hope this helps

Mizzy

Also, to enable higher resolutions add -hires command after EXE file in your shortcut target like this:

Target: D:\Falcon4\RedViper.exe -hires ;)

After trying it again, and having the resolution preperly set, this free add on is actuall not so bad... makes me realise Falcon 4 is actually quite a proper sim... just outdated graphics (terrain especially) but FF4 adds quite a few nice features... nice 3d cockpit, 6DoF for TrackIR (which by the way is very smooth), the frame rate is very good... nice missiles effects (smoke and flames) avionics... hm the list is quite long... gonna be quite a lot of learing to get back into this sim.

What I read s far, the online code is also improved... what do you know, I might just start flying this old sim again :confused:

Someone from SimHQ sent me their copy of F4AF when it first came out. Evidently he thought that LP was doing a major update on it. He was disappointed and pissed off and posted that it was free to whomever wanted it. Now maybe I'll get some use out of it. I didn't use original F4 much. Hated the patch dance.

You won't regret it ruggy, it really will blow you away the difference!

Mizzy

Yes!

You can install it over Falcon 4 AF. The RV install detects it automatically and asks if you wish to do so.

Frankly RV is WAY WAY in advance of the AF version and undoubtedly will piss people off that bought the game full price.

RV is nothing short of INCREDIBLE and if you read all the docs, there are lots of extras. I just found out how to bump map the terrain and it now looks STUNNING.

No damage model per se but its work in progress and the shadows are still the same but the weather and the model of the F16 takes your breath away.

Hope this helps

Mizzy

They have nothing to be pi$$ed about buying the game, I own AF as well and dont see how I got hurt. I still need to install it first anyway.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P