OT: Heads up, FreeFalcon4 is released

suntrace1

Yes!

You can install it over Falcon 4 AF. The RV install detects it automatically and asks if you wish to do so.

Frankly RV is WAY WAY in advance of the AF version and undoubtedly will piss people off that bought the game full price.

RV is nothing short of INCREDIBLE and if you read all the docs, there are lots of extras. I just found out how to bump map the terrain and it now looks STUNNING.

No damage model per se but its work in progress and the shadows are still the same but the weather and the model of the F16 takes your breath away.

Hope this helps

Mizzy

Where can i read instructions about bump mapping terrain? thanks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, to enable higher resolutions add -hires command after EXE file in your shortcut target like this:

Target: D:\Falcon4\RedViper.exe -hires ;)

After trying it again, and having the resolution preperly set, this free add on is actuall not so bad... makes me realise Falcon 4 is actually quite a proper sim... just outdated graphics (terrain especially) but FF4 adds quite a few nice features... nice 3d cockpit, 6DoF for TrackIR (which by the way is very smooth), the frame rate is very good... nice missiles effects (smoke and flames) avionics... hm the list is quite long... gonna be quite a lot of learing to get back into this sim.

What I read s far, the online code is also improved... what do you know, I might just start flying this old sim again :confused:

Can't seem to get that to work:(

O well

Mizzy

Wing buffet is simulated but curiously they do it at high speeds not low speeds as it should be.

Missile also move arround differently, F-16 has a cuter nozzle, Cockpit looks much better also but the 3D world is still pretty much ugly as always. Different pyrotecnics FX, but nothing too special. All menus have a windows 3.11 looking interface with a red wallpaper as background, kinda odd.

I havent tested it thoroughly yet.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

F4 + FF4 is much better then F4AF.

Mizzy just change target for the icon you start RedViper with, and add -hires after ....\redviper.exe line. This enables me to see 1280-1024 resolution in setup (and few other lower resolutions). I saw this at FreeFalcon forums.

No longer active in DCS...

Try not to install FF4 over F4AF because that would probably further piss off LP and it might screw up your isntall. This is from the manual:

FF4/RV1 is not intended to be installed over AF, and whilst attempting to do so may ruin your existing AF and F4 install...We can't guarantee that it won't work.

Only don't install Bazt too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try not to install FF4 over F4AF because that would probably further piss off LP and it might screw up your isntall. This is from the manual:

FF4/RV1 is not intended to be installed over AF, and whilst attempting to do so may ruin your existing AF and F4 install...We can't guarantee that it won't work.

Only don't install Bazt too.

I am not too bothered about pissing off LP as their release was nothing more than what we already had and many of its features were community developments anyway. Plus FF4-RV is NOT a commercial product so LP are loosing nothing!

However, I personally would not install FF4 over F4 AF since it creats a great deal of instability and CTDs I have found. So I went back to reinstalling my (legal) copy of the original F4 and it works a treat.

ALL of my software is legal btw ;)

Mizzy

I am not too bothered about pissing off LP as their release was nothing more than what we already had and many of its features were community developments anyway.

That is wrong. F4AF is the most stable online version of F4 ever made. I fly Falcon since 1998 and not even the MP5 version was as good as F4AF. Never had one single CTD.

Yes!

You can install it over Falcon 4 AF. The RV install detects it automatically and asks if you wish to do so.

Frankly RV is WAY WAY in advance of the AF version and undoubtedly will piss people off that bought the game full price.

RV is nothing short of INCREDIBLE and if you read all the docs, there are lots of extras. I just found out how to bump map the terrain and it now looks STUNNING.

No damage model per se but its work in progress and the shadows are still the same but the weather and the model of the F16 takes your breath away.

Hope this helps

Mizzy

Hey Mizzy,

Would you be so kind and give me a hint how to enable the terrain bump-mapping as I can`t find it in the docs.

Help appretiated,

Hollow

Okay, I for once did install it over AF, and I don't regret it, it looks more 'newtonian-like' I know it's only eye candy, and the FMs are still based on the same rules as the paper planes, but it does look and feels better than AF, it's more a lomac than some SP mod now. What I like too are the new models, too bad we can't have the block 60 flyable, but heck, the HAS F-16 and the F-16I look very cool too.

The FM performance is falconish, even with HFFM, again, the 24* AoA limit, and the nazi FCS holding the plane back. One criticism is that we can't use high off-bore missiles like in 1.08, instead you need to padlock the target, and then press 'U', which is lame. I do like the way the aim-9X dances, it seems more real than the one in AF. The missiles are toned down too, no more 'uber bvr Mach 15 AMRAAM that will hit any target no matter when', instead it's a 'uber leet unspoofable amraam', as advertised, nothing more.

And the game CTDs when I try to fly the Viggen :( Like Jack Bauer ever so oftenly states: Damn it!

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Is anyone else having a problem with it loading extremely slowly? I've got to the screen with the five aircraft on the right side, right before you fly, and it takes almost 10 minutes for it to move from the A-10, to the next one up, and then it goes to the F-16 in less than a minute, but then it gets stuck there. It also seems that going between menus is really slow for me as well. I think I installed everything right, but I'm not totally sure. I uninstalled Allied Force, then installed the original Falcon 4.0, and then FF4 right after that. It seems like the installations went fine, and everything worked out, but I really don't know. Everything else on my computer works fine and runs as fast as normal, so I don't think it could be a hardware problem, but I'll try just about anything. Thanks.

Stupid thermals...

That is wrong. F4AF is the most stable online version of F4 ever made. I fly Falcon since 1998 and not even the MP5 version was as good as F4AF. Never had one single CTD.

I don't play online and F4AF was a rip off for people who already owned F4 ;)

Think about it, if some lame community developer released Flanker 2.5 with nothing but better online play (which is a very small minority of people) would you be pissed off paying the same as the original game release???

That is how I saw F4 AF ;)

My Partner (well, am married to him) paid less for Flaming Cliffs for me and it featured more improvements than F4 AF could have dreamed of using the old Falcon 4 game engine. At least FF4-Red Viper made wonderful and significant changes worth buying.

Please don't go down the online stability crap because most of us don't play games online...look at the gaming industry statistics if you need proof, or maybe a representative from Eagle Dynamics can chime in and clarify this issue from their commercial perspective ;)

Mizzy

Is anyone else having a problem with it loading extremely slowly? I've got to the screen with the five aircraft on the right side, right before you fly, and it takes almost 10 minutes for it to move from the A-10, to the next one up, and then it goes to the F-16 in less than a minute, but then it gets stuck there. It also seems that going between menus is really slow for me as well. I think I installed everything right, but I'm not totally sure. I uninstalled Allied Force, then installed the original Falcon 4.0, and then FF4 right after that. It seems like the installations went fine, and everything worked out, but I really don't know. Everything else on my computer works fine and runs as fast as normal, so I don't think it could be a hardware problem, but I'll try just about anything. Thanks.

actually i got more fps with ff4. Better than ff3.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Think about it, if some lame community developer released Flanker 2.5 with nothing but better online play (which is a very small minority of people) would you be pissed off paying the same as the original game release???

My Partner (well, am married to him) paid less for Flaming Cliffs for me and it featured more improvements than F4 AF could have dreamed of using the old Falcon 4 game engine. At least FF4-Red Viper made wonderful and significant changes worth buying.

Please don't go down the online stability crap because most of us don't play games online...look at the gaming industry statistics if you need proof, or maybe a representative from Eagle Dynamics can chime in and clarify this issue from their commercial perspective ;)

Mizzy

Its not the online stability that makes AF special or better than all other mods so far. Its the stability itself, you can now actually play Falcon with less of chance of ctds. I don't see AF as a rip off at all in fact its placed Falcon back on the game shelves for people to buy it further increasing the number of people playing Falcon(and other sims). It also means Falcon can be further developed and made better and better with further patches. All we saw from the original F4 was 1 patch and that was it until the source code made its way online.(compared to 9 so far for AF and one more on the way) Now as far as online play is concerned more people eg more than 4 can fly online now(32 is the most I've seen on one server) where as with previous mods we were limited to 4 and that was it. Or in the case of 2 years ago 1 or 2 on hypperlobby as not many people were using it online the way it is used now. To compare F4 to Flanker 2.5 is also a bad comparison as both sims are totally different.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

In my opinion Falcon 4.0 Alied Force was a real ripoff... I installed it... tried it for 1 hour... and uninstalled it straight away.

Well, after a whole hour, of course you knew all about it.

Great heads up on the thread. Gives us a new toy while we wait for BS.

Some just can't get excited about one thing without dissing another. Oh well.

E8600 Asus P5E Radeon 4870x2 Corsair 4gb Velociraptor 300gb Neopower 650 NZXT Tempest Vista64 Samsung 30" 2560x1600

Mizzy

If one thinks of F4AF as a rip off - well, then don't buy it. All versions of F4 were plagued with CTDs, in offline and online play.

About your comparison with Flanker 2.5: our squad had flown Flanker for 18 months and that wonderful peace of software crashed in almost every decent mission. Does "Internal Flanker error" ring a bell? A nightmare ... and the first release of Lomac (Flanker 3.0 ?) ... geez, if it only had the quality of F4AF, but it was more or less unplayable.

I play Lomac online only, because offline i feel so alone in the air - it's so damn quit and missions won't "survive" the next patch/version, or did that change? :huh:

No, I don't even get into the cockpit, it loads slowly on the loading screens and the pretty much freezes eventually.

If you have sound card from Creative - try to switch to the one integrated with your mainboard before running Falcon. (control panel -> audio devices -> audio tab -> sound playnig [first from top]) (names may vary, I have Polish OS ;) )

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

BMS?

Anybody knows if BMS Team is also working in forward Falcon4 development?...Tell me if I´m wrong but I think I´ve seen allusions made by Gorny in the FF forum in which the idea of both FF & BMS teams working together (really BMS working for FF :doh: ) was suggested. I do know that time after C&D, BMS continued their work far beyond BMS2.0 I´m fearful about what these guys could have done with Falcon during all this time!...;) . Time will tell.

By default only 4DoF is active, you need to start the patcher (Red Viper Config Editor.exe in your Falcon 4 directory), point it to the correct F4 executable (RedViper.exe) open up

RedViper Configuration -> Track IR Settings -> Track IR DOF Support

and select the bottom option (TIR Yaw, Pitch, Roll, X, Y, Z). Then click Apply Settings and it should work.

Thanks Gundelgauk, you're a star...!

Rep inbound :thumbup:

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okay, I for once did install it over AF, and I don't regret it, it looks more 'newtonian-like' I know it's only eye candy, and the FMs are still based on the same rules as the paper planes, but it does look and feels better than AF, it's more a lomac than some SP mod now. What I like too are the new models, too bad we can't have the block 60 flyable, but heck, the HAS F-16 and the F-16I look very cool too.

The FM performance is falconish, even with HFFM, again, the 24* AoA limit, and the nazi FCS holding the plane back. One criticism is that we can't use high off-bore missiles like in 1.08, instead you need to padlock the target, and then press 'U', which is lame. I do like the way the aim-9X dances, it seems more real than the one in AF. The missiles are toned down too, no more 'uber bvr Mach 15 AMRAAM that will hit any target no matter when', instead it's a 'uber leet unspoofable amraam', as advertised, nothing more.

And the game CTDs when I try to fly the Viggen :( Like Jack Bauer ever so oftenly states: Damn it!

So what you are saying that AF+FF4/RV looks much better than F4+FF4/RV? And will it be OK if i would install FF4/RV on AF v 1.09? I will give it a try anyway, thank you.

:pilotfly: