[MERGED] DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

self-edit. I typed a bunch of stuff that's apropos, but then realized this will devolve into my OS is better than your OS. So I deleted it all.:D

I do not think that the speech would have evolved, at most we can discuss the driver support. However I do not see where the problem is in discussing if one thing is better than the other (OS and sims) if you want the best you have to discuss.

I do not think that the speech would have evolved, at most we can discuss the driver support. However I do not see where the problem is in discussing if one thing is better than the other (OS and sims) if you want the best you have to discuss.

There's no discussion. Games will not support Linux because there is not penetration. There are no serious games for the MacOS for the same reason.

But since IRC/CompuServe/Usenet/Reddit, people have debated why Linux/Windows/MacOS is better for XYZ.

But the fact of the matter is, games like DCS will only run in Windows for the next foreseeable decades.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Well, for those who want to know, TM Warthog and my Saitek pedals work as intended in Linux Mint 19.1 in Steam and a Free-2-Play Warbird game.

So yeah, the basic hardware works, doesnt even need drivers like in 10...LoL

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

ED have already stated their intent to use Vulkan and I believe said that the next step was to replace textures. That’s probably why we’ve had the odd issue recently with missing textures, eg gun mounts on Huey, RB15.

I’m very much expecting at least an initial Vulkan implementation this year, followed by optimisation.

I think you are the optimistic guy on the entire forum.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

There's no discussion. Games will not support Linux because there is not penetration. There are no serious games for the MacOS for the same reason.

But since IRC/CompuServe/Usenet/Reddit, people have debated why Linux/Windows/MacOS is better for XYZ.

But the fact of the matter is, games like DCS will only run in Windows for the next foreseeable decades.

All clear. Btw what you mean with "no penetration"?

the selling of a company's products in a particular market or area.

biggest market share

This comes back to being first to market, plus many more people using MS. (MS) API DirectX. Giving direct access to the video and sound using their API etc.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-all-computer-games-released-on-Windows-but-not-always-on-Macs

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Mac OS X and Linux are logical platforms to port DCS to.

I think the military would consider going with Linux for security reasons if they want to deploy DCS for large networked simulations.

Realistically, if your network is specifically being targeted (like a government might be) it matters little what OS you're running.

https://www-zdnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/security-researchers-discover-new-linux-backdoor-named-speakup/?usqp=mq331AQCCAE%3D&amp_js_v=0.1#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.zdnet.com%2Farticle%2Fsecurity-researchers-discover-new-linux-backdoor-named-speakup%2F

For the machines that would likely be used solely for the military version of the sim should be air-gapped in the first place. They probably don't have to deal with the master server check-in non-sense. Windows is not the insecure mess it used to be, and present day malware relies on user ignorance more so than OS exploits.

The benefit of Linux is that you dont have to pay a MS license for your Game server in a DC. That is roughly 15-30$/month less for a Linux driven server.

Usually, both run great if done right, tho Linux is much much simpler to manage once installed.

DCS on the Linux Desktop is a wet dream, I dont expect it to happen till 2025 or later tbh but the server module was a thing.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Sorry but what you mean with "game server in a DC"?

If you want to host a "big" server for DCS, with say 64 Pilots, you do need a considerable amount of UPLOAD and a good WAN connection in general. Normal household connections do not suffice this requirement.

In order to make that still happen, people rent a server in a DataCentre where bandwidth and good overall connection quality is granted, usually 1Gbit or better UPLOAD + DOWNLOAD.

The downside is the price, the better the hardware your rent, the more bandwidth/traffic-volume you book, the more expensive it gets. On top of the hardware, electricity and connection costs you will be charged a monthly fee for using a prop. OS like MS Windows. The price I paid for 1 server was iirc 110€ for a Linux based server and around 135€ for the same machine with a Windows Server OS. aFter 12 month, you paid 300€ just for Windows...OK ?

So, if we had a Linux capable DCS dedicated server module, anybody or any Group of Pilots could save some big cash over the year if we wouldnt have to go with a MS driven server.

The downside is, less people and pilots know Linux good enough to set up a gameserver on it, but its nothing you cannot learn in a week or two with some help. I wouldnt be afraid.

That's what "gameserver in a DC" means

If you want to host a "big" server for DCS, with say 64 Pilots, you do need a considerable amount of UPLOAD and a good WAN connection in general. Normal household connections do not suffice this requirement.

In order to make that still happen, people rent a server in a DataCentre where bandwidth and good overall connection quality is granted, usually 1Gbit or better UPLOAD + DOWNLOAD.

The downside is the price, the better the hardware your rent, the more bandwidth/traffic-volume you book, the more expensive it gets. On top of the hardware, electricity and connection costs you will be charged a monthly fee for using a prop. OS like MS Windows. The price I paid for 1 server was iirc 110€ for a Linux based server and around 135€ for the same machine with a Windows Server OS. aFter 12 month, you paid 300€ just for Windows...OK ?

So, if we had a Linux capable DCS dedicated server module, anybody or any Group of Pilots could save some big cash over the year if we wouldnt have to go with a MS driven server.

The downside is, less people and pilots know Linux good enough to set up a gameserver on it, but its nothing you cannot learn in a week or two with some help. I wouldnt be afraid.

That's what "gameserver in a DC" means

When you live in a city where 1Gb up/down is the standard and hear it's not normal :cry:

J/k.. I could have 10Gbit up/down for a few hundred USD a month.. so if any server admins are looking for rental space.. *cough*

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

• 1 year later...

Vulkan???

Honestly all I can really ask for is for more VR coverage in terms of updates till we get this supposed end all be all fix known as vulkan. VR updates have been either pushed under the rug it seems and it's unfortunate. VR is so unoptimized to the point where it doesn't matter what graphics settings are used, the results are mostly the same.

Honestly all I can really ask for is for more VR coverage in terms of updates till we get this supposed end all be all fix known as vulkan. VR updates have been either pushed under the rug it seems and it's unfortunate. VR is so unoptimized to the point where it doesn't matter what graphics settings are used, the results are mostly the same.

This isn’t an F-16 related issue. This is related to the core DCS package. It’s probably better posted somewhere else rather then the F-16 section.

Such as this : https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=509

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 1 month later...
maybe in july?

:lol:

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Don't think it'll be July, this is something major.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.