F14 is old ... whats the big deal?

JonTex

The cat is retired and in the bone yard. But to some countries like Iran the spoils of aircraft parts are very valueble. So the question has risen among DOD should the U.S. sell the surplus of parts? Why is there such a debate over an outdated piece of machinery?

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,123655,00.html?ESRC=navy.nl

I dont get it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Outdated? No, not really, not as 'outdated' as the F-18C, but it's not as cheap to maintain, but it can do the role of fleet defender better than the F-18C (maybe E). The thing is, we can whine and cry, but it will change nothing. The F-14 is retired, the F-18 is a very good plane as well, but it has other strengths, ok, actually not, but it does everything for less money.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

The cat is retired and in the bone yard. But to some countries like Iran the spoils of aircraft parts are very valueble. So the question has risen among DOD should the U.S. sell the surplus of parts? Why is there such a debate over an outdated piece of machinery?

I dont get it.

Because you don't supply an openly hostile country with materiel to keep their air force running - it's just daft.

Even if you assume they're outdated and they can't use Phoenix anymore (for any one of a number of reasons), it's still a better idea to make sure they can't leave the ground than take your chances with them in the air.

The F-14 is a wonderful aircraft with some superb kit onboard and even tho it also started using it bombing capability its a lot cheaper to operate one type. In the world of ever decreasing military budgets somethings have to go.....

The F-14 is a wonderful aircraft with some superb kit onboard and even tho it also started using it bombing capability its a lot cheaper to operate one type. In the world of ever decreasing military budgets somethings have to go.....

Ever decreasing? The US spends 522 billion A YEAR on military expenditure. If they really wanted to keep the F14 going, I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem. The armed forces have a fetish for spending billions on new technology even when older tech is still perfectly functional because there are people that make lots of money off of it. Personally, though, I have a hard time figuring out how a new fleet of F/A-18s is going to threaten the terrorist bogeyman.

Personally, though, I have a hard time figuring out how a new fleet of F/A-18s is going to threaten the terrorist bogeyman.

And what, an aging bunch of fleet defenders optimized for air-to-air is gonna be sooooo much more threatening to terrorism?

What would be even more productive ways of spending money is developing and fielding a Hummer replacement out in Iraq pronto, or upgrades like TUSK for the M1.

sigzk5.jpg

And what, an aging bunch of fleet defenders optimized for air-to-air is gonna be sooooo much more threatening to terrorism?

My point was that neither threatens them, so why spend all that money. It's not specifically F/A-18 I suppose, but that military expenditures are out of step with the type of security threats that need to be addressed.

F-14 1 flight hour = 50+ maintenance hours

F/A-18C/D/E/F/soon G 1 flight hour = <15 maintenance hours

These numbers are just pure examples, the difference is HUGE , this is just to show the actual matter of fact.

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

And don't forget kids: the better you think the F-22 is, the bigger your penis is :)

WOW!!! My penis grew an extra 22 inches!! Im draggin dirt behind me now. Im gonna have to watch that, my hearing effects my balance and I dont wanna trip over it....All new kinds of pain to think about, dont you think???

I dont get it.

My answer. The IRIAF loves their tomcats and the US Navy hates them. Thats why they are trying to smuggle the parts.

Not true! for every flight hour its 20-25. The F/A-18E/F is 10-15 hours.

I asked some of the guys of VF-31 and VF-213 at Oceana last year and they said they averaged about 5-10 hours per jet on their last cruise......beat that hornet!

My answer. The IRIAF loves their tomcats and the US Navy hates them. Thats why they are trying to smuggle the parts.

Not true! for every flight hour its 20-25. The F/A-18E/F is 10-15 hours.

I asked some of the guys of VF-31 and VF-213 at Oceana last year and they said they averaged about 5-10 hours per jet on their last cruise......beat that hornet!

ehm, on their last cruise. Now look at the global perspective. the Superhornet is now the new workhorse. Even IF its "just" 10 hours, its still 10 hours. In my opinion, it is a good decision to take the hornet. I dont even want to start discussing with you since you are gonna start hating me and everyone else for not wanting the tomcat back and you probably still think that airforce jets dont have tailhooks lol.

Flip

madrebel.png

sig.jpg

"Imagine the reason that people hold on to

hatred so stubbornly is because if the hate

is removed, the pain will set in. Do not follow where

the path may lead. Go instead where there is

no path and leave a trail."

You have to remember that having an "average" of 25 hours maintenance for each hour of flight doesnt mean that EVERY single F-14 that goes up for an hour is down for 25... It just means that more F-14's are down getting repaired at a given time then F-18's would be. Wich means for the same number of aircraft F-18's represent a bigger force then F-14's.

Dun get me wrong i love F-14's they are my favorite fighter i just wish they didnt break so often but they are getting old...just has the F-18's will get old in 10 years...

Anytime Baby...!

So, what about tailhook size, which jet has the biggest? The replacement of the superbug will have a dutch made tailhook, watch out, it may contain sensei in the base. When the pilots eject the tailhook's core is ejected as well, deploying a 60cm long hash stick slung under a parachute. So when the crew lands, they can make peace with the enemy (the used catapult tubes on the Mk. 16 will be used as pipes) the old fashioned way.

Oh, the world would be a freindlier place with that instead of 9mm this, armor piercing that, cluster munition thus.

The drawback would be the rising prices in Morrocco and India, as those will be the main suppliers of the tailhook fillings.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

It's too bad, i loved the 'cat and it's a shame they retired it, however, I must agree that it was getting a bit too expensive. the bug has better ground atack abilities which is really what we need right now. The F-14 was designed with long range intercepts in mind, which is no longer needed nearly as much today.

And, yes, this argument is getting a little old...

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

I think Tex went back and looked at a few newspapers or checked yahoo,msn or something else.

:dunno:

not sure what your referring to but I think if you click the link you can see I was reading this article @military.com.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because you don't supply an openly hostile country with materiel to keep their air force running - it's just daft.

Even if you assume they're outdated and they can't use Phoenix anymore (for any one of a number of reasons), it's still a better idea to make sure they can't leave the ground than take your chances with them in the air.

Yea Id have to agree with you. But man we sure could use the money. I mean its not like we dont have anything here in our arsenal that couldnt shoot them down right? Why cant we just sell them nuts and bolts like the article said? I mean even if that helped them fly their aging tomcats with no phoenix capabilities our aircraft are far more superior to the cat. And besides we are not at war with Iran.

The only real problem I see with selling this country the "nuts and bolts" is that they found sensitive materials being included in the shipments of these so called "nuts and bolts". But even in the long run that really doesnt threaten the safety of our pilots .... the tomcat is an outdated weapon system in comparison to jets like the F22.

(some how that just doesnt sound right):noexpression:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

These numbers are just pure examples, the difference is HUGE , this is just to show the actual matter of fact.

Flip

:music_whistling: and what is old mig29 maintenance hours ??? more than F-14s hours ???

Why do people insist on posting these threads? Talk about beating a dead horse. Just go dig up the one from last week and see what everyone said then..

Amen to that. Makes me wonder why people post threads where just by the topic you know it will either end up locked or going around in circles. If I was so curious about the F14 and what the big deal is about it I would do alot more research. Otherwise its just one of those threads that replicates the Jerry Springer show but in forum format....personally, I enjoy the TV version better. But hey, isnt ignorance bliss?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]