Testing LockOn FC install on Vista, problems!

H4rM

Got it working. Just had to add to both the autorun and install executables both compatibility and run as admin settings.

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Microsoft Windows Vista x64 bit

Overclocked Intel Core2Duo @ 3.30GHz

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

DCS Blackshark Russian DVD Box and English Download

1920x1080 res. @ 37" Westinghouse LVM-37w3 1080P

Background image by Shrubbo.

Got it working. Just had to add to both the autorun and install executables both compatibility and run as admin settings.

:)

Could you explain that in greater detail. Exactly what did you do and how?

Thanks

PT

PT Myers

Retired

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium, 2 DDR2 TWIN2X2048-6400 COR Memory, Intel Core2Extreme X6800, 2 BFG GTS 6800 PCI-E

Just have to right click the AutoRun.exe and Install.exe on the flamingcliffs CD and set them both to run in Compatibility Mode for XP SP2 AND check the box to run as administrator.

Then after the install is complete, right click the LockOn.exe in the install folder and do the same to it ( check for compatibility mode and admin mode).

It appears though on the reboot that there is a problem with the SF driver and Vista. Just googled for Vista and SF and found the updated driver for Vista.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

Another thing to be aware of is VISTA is having problems with SATA drives. I have a friend who is MS Certified and he was installing it on his wifes machine. He told it wouldn't recognise the drive nad he had to roll it back to install it one IDE.

Just thought it would be of some interest to you.

Works like a charm guys, so no problems upgrading to Vista.

As far as Sata drives, read here:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t375782.htm

Sata drive here worked perfectly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

what a piece of crap OS, how can microsoft dare to put on sale an OS that wont even do the most basic things like seeing hard drives?! :disgust:

Must be a an innovating developing strategy: to launch a product in beta stage...tsss tss

Do I look like a guinea pig?:animals_bunny:

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Guest IguanaKing
what a piece of crap OS, how can microsoft dare to put on sale an OS that wont even do the most basic things like seeing hard drives?! :disgust:

Must be a an innovating developing strategy: to launch a product in beta stage...tsss tss

Do I look like a guinea pig?:animals_bunny:

Pilotasso, and all...those who already bought Vista are the guinea pigs, not you. I was an early-adopter of an OS when 98 came out, and I was actually not at all disappointed. Windows 98 WAS actually an improvement over 95, right out of the gate. Then along came ME, and I jumped on that right away...MAN did I get BURNED!!! :mad: I went back to 98 and kept it until at least 6 months after XP was released, and I still had random reboots and blue screens. Only in the last 4 years has XP been somewhat bullet-proof...and don't even get me started on that crap OS XP Pro 64 that I tried for about 3 weeks before reverting to the 32-bit version. I will be displaying the same level of caution here...its going to be AT LEAST 6 months before Freaky Bill gets more of my cash. A buggy game is one thing, but the OS? Well...its the OS...meaning your computer is nothing but a loosely assembled pile of microchips flying in formation without it. We recently received an e-mail from the tech support staff at the company we bought our avionics shop software from...and they said, "At this time, we recommend that you DO NOT install Windows Vista. If you get a workstation that has Vista installed, we welcome any feedback you may have in order to improve our product to work with the new OS. But, under no circumstances, should you install Windows Vista on the machine you use as your server. We know for a fact that it will NOT run Microsoft SQL Server 2005."

How does lockon perform in vista? (fps roughly compared to XP)

I'm going to install vista now on my new system. It's fun to see what they came up with, secondly i don't want to maintain two os installations or reinstall in a near future unless i have to. (If so, only a small xp installation for benchmark comparison)

Hopyfully will drivers improve further and general problems be solved in the following weeks.

Agreed. For those that can wait , please wait on this OS for others who don't mind experimenting, to work out issues, etc... WinXP SP2 seems to still be the best bet.

Eventually for those that want the DX10 power once games start to come out it is necessary to try Vista on test bed systems that are not primary systems to work out issues, as we will be moving to Vista for this DX10 functionality.

My post is for those presently moving to Vista, that at least LockOn:FC works with the new OS, and quite well too! Just make sure you follow the steps in the 1st posts on this thread to run the exe's in compatibility and admin mode.

For reference: I put Vista on an old system I had here that was not being used for anything. The system is an AMD Sempron 2800+ (2Ghz) with 1Gb of DDR, Sata HDrive and an nVidia FX5200 (128Mb), so it works very well on this old horse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

Pilotasso, and all...those who already bought Vista are the guinea pigs, not you. I was an early-adopter of an OS when 98 came out, and I was actually not at all disappointed. Windows 98 WAS actually an improvement over 95, right out of the gate. Then along came ME, and I jumped on that right away...MAN did I get BURNED!!! :mad: I went back to 98 and kept it until at least 6 months after XP was released, and I still had random reboots and blue screens. Only in the last 4 years has XP been somewhat bullet-proof...and don't even get me started on that crap OS XP Pro 64 that I tried for about 3 weeks before reverting to the 32-bit version. I will be displaying the same level of caution here...its going to be AT LEAST 6 months before Freaky Bill gets more of my cash. A buggy game is one thing, but the OS? Well...its the OS...meaning your computer is nothing but a loosely assembled pile of microchips flying in formation without it. We recently received an e-mail from the tech support staff at the company we bought our avionics shop software from...and they said, "At this time, we recommend that you DO NOT install Windows Vista. If you get a workstation that has Vista installed, we welcome any feedback you may have in order to improve our product to work with the new OS. But, under no circumstances, should you install Windows Vista on the machine you use as your server. We know for a fact that it will NOT run Microsoft SQL Server 2005."

The moment that the company I work for will switch to Vista will be the day that I will switch to Vista. Why do you think? Simple, we design medical diagnostic software and if there is one thing out there that needs to be safe it's medical diagnostic software running on a MS OS.

I've actually posted this at a different location on the forum... But since this post is right-out there I'll make a few comments of my own..

I've actually contemplated the issue of installing a new operating system, and have concluded that its most likely better to wait until the smoke clears before taking action..

So for those of you that don't know already I've just completed building my new system..

I waited until it was time for Vista to be released and bought Windows XP Pro SP2 and Pro 64 which I've installed on 2 of my computers...

The 32 bit is of course was for my gaming computer (64 bit drivers aren't that compatible with gaming software so I felt it wasn't worth the hassle)...

Now both copies of XP are OEM and are eligible for the Vista upgrade..

I had read last month that it was going to cost 20.00 USD for shipping and handling to send out the upgrade, but 2 weeks ago when I did the electronic transfer for shipping it only cost 10.00 USD each...

Microsoft said that they would be shipped about 2 weeks after availability..

But when the disks arrive I'm still going to hold off installation until I'm sure that I'll have a stable O/S....

It sounds to me like there needs to be a lot of fast stepping now to get this bear to work .... :smilewink:

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

Another thing to be aware of is VISTA is having problems with SATA drives. I have a friend who is MS Certified and he was installing it on his wifes machine. He told it wouldn't recognise the drive nad he had to roll it back to install it one IDE.

Just thought it would be of some interest to you.

I have 4 Sata drives (CDEF) had no problems at all with Vista in that regard.

PT

PT Myers

Retired

ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium, 2 DDR2 TWIN2X2048-6400 COR Memory, Intel Core2Extreme X6800, 2 BFG GTS 6800 PCI-E

Well I have it but the X-fi driver support is useless...

Ill have to wait a while till creative come out with a proper driver.

:Core2Duo @ 435FSB x 7 3.05GHz : ATI x1900xtx: 2GB Patriot @ 435Mhz : WD 250Gb UATA: Seagate 320Gb SATA2: X-Fi Platinum:

The moment that the company I work for will switch to Vista will be the day that I will switch to Vista. Why do you think? Simple, we design medical diagnostic software and if there is one thing out there that needs to be safe it's medical diagnostic software running on a MS OS.

Take a read here, this guy actually mentions the spectre of critical stuff such as medical software running on vista:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Scary.

Personally, I feel we're just seeing the result of one company having absolute dominance in the OS market - proof positive that competition is good, and monopolies are bad.

Guest IguanaKing

Yup, scary indeed. I am in a field where software glitches can be the difference between life and death too. Bill Gates will HAVE to respond to the FAAs demands...as David Byrne once said "This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around."

Don't you guys just love that part in the SouthPark movie where the General shoots him? :D

I say it's way too early to switch to Vista. It was the same thing with Win 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP before:

MS did beta testing, until they thought the OS would be safe to place on the market - however, it always turned out that all previous MS OS were only stable and safe after SP 2.

I will not buy Vista before SP 1 for it is available - I'm not going to spent money on an OS and then work as another beta - beta tester for Bill Gates - no way.

I will keep my Win 2000 SP 4 - it runs like hell, no probs at all.

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

This quote says it all:

"Mr Johnson, that fuzzy region on your X-ray indicates one of two things. Either you have multi-drug resistant tuberculosis, or the copy-protection system on our computer thinks that part of your left lung looks like Mickey Mouse."

Shit the FDA would close us down so fast it would be the first recorded faster then the speed of light court case :mad:

As another FYI to many:

I successfully installed Vista alongside XP Pro on my Sager Gaming Laptop that runs LockOn: FC very well. We all know how finicky laptops are and this one has dual hard drives in Raid-0. Everything installed perfectly, and Lockon works great.

So far so good in these initial tests.

FYI: Check out EASYBCD 1.52 for boot manager control in Vista.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB

I don't have any problems running lockon in Vista, just the aircraft skin is a lot darker than normal (I see correct color brightness only at the very edge of the airplane's shape). My fps are always between 50 and 100 with 1920x1200 res and medium high settings over cities... (same as it was with XP), I got 30/40 fps more with FSX (normally between 50 and 65).

Robbie.

I don't know if this may help anyone, but after installing Vista on my Sager 8790 laptop that has an ATI mobility radeon 9700 pro (256Mb of ram), I then downloaded the latest drivers from Mobility ATI's for Vista and have huge improvents in fps. I am currently running my laptop in higher graphical settings than ever before and have on average about a 20 to 30 fps increase from XP. I took some screenshots in the default settings at 109 fps. I then upped the resolution to my max of 1680x1050 and upped the graphics alot ( I have never been able to use settings like this in XP and gotten over 27 fps) and using 2xAA and now have an avg of 39-47 fps.

I hope others who try it have the same good fortune as I have just encountered.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

6GB DDR Ram

Nvidia GTX280 1GB