VKB-Sim MCG. Questions. Answers. Advice.

UIV

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played with my new gunfighter and MCG Pro quite a bit over the weekend.

My impressions coming from a Warthog stick:

- Stick movement is smooth and sweet; shocking improvement over the warthog and very precise around centre. Coming from the Hog, the default MCG springs seem very very very light (combined with the light weight of the stick itself) so expect big inputs unless you change springs or put in some serious input curves. I'll say the smooth precision control is easily the best thing about this joystick and grip combo.

- The "middle finger button" is a massive improvement over the pinky button on the Warthog. It is much more comfortable to actuate with your hand in a natural position than having to stretch down with your pinky. Makes an excellent "shift" button for stick controls if you aren't using it for NWS/Laser/whatever.

- As a 1 to 1 replacement for the Warthog, it's going to take some time to get used to the thumbstick and hat switch layout. You've got either TMS/DMS pretty much where it's always been but after that you're on to using the index finger hat (which works well, but doesn't feel natural) or the "gate control" thumbstick (which also works well, but feels weird as you can move it freely on the X/Y axis, instead of a hat which can only go left/right/up/down, also if you use gate control this way, you probably won't be able to use it for TGP slew, which I know a lot of people are unsatisfied with on the Warthog throttle).

- The master mode hat with it's relative axis mode seems cool, but you'll have to work to get the most out of it. During my flights I easily got mixed up between normal mode/relative mode/short press to reset which mucked up my trimming quite a bit. For ease of transition, consider disabling the relative mode if you're used to the Warthog trim hat behaviour.

- As crazy as it may sound, I think I prefer the feel of the buttons on the Hog. MCG buttons work fine and are responsive but have a harsher clicky feel than I'm used to, and I'm not a big fan of the flat plastic pickle button. The triggers feel a little mushy to me, but click properly at each stage.

- The 3 position fold down trigger currently does not work properly if you set a repsonse curve on the stick. Apparently this is a known issue and will be addressed with a software update.

- In my opinion, the supporting software needs a lot of improvement (Wizzo/Vkbdevcfg). Not what I'd call intuitive or user friendly.

- VKB is working on it, but to me this seems a bit of a sloppy release; documentation and firmware not ready when the sticks reach the customers is subpar.

Personally I'm glad to have it and I will use it enough to justify the cost ($520 USD after shipping and duty to Canada) but it's not without issues.

Edited by exray

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

I am almost certain I missed something here. But before I open a support ticket, perhaps someone here can help out.

Just got my MCG Pro. Swapped out my existing KG-12 from the Gunfighter stick. Followed the calibration instructions. All good. BUT:

(a) none of the button presses, or grip axes (as opposed to base stick axes) are recognized.

(b) the VKB software thinks the grip is a KG-12.

I guess I have missed a critical update step? What is that?

EDIT: I could not run wizzo_gf, because I get "JOYSTICK NOT FOUND PLEASE CHECK THE CONNECTION", so I am running VkbDevCfg v1.852.

EDIT 2: Here is the screen shot showing that the VKB software only knows about the KG 12 grip:

LKiBkFJ.png

Edited by Bearfoot

I am almost certain I missed something here. But before I open a support ticket, perhaps someone here can help out.

Just got my MCG Pro. Swapped out my existing KG-12 from the Gunfighter stick. Followed the calibration instructions. All good. BUT:

(a) none of the button presses, or grip axes (as opposed to base stick axes) are recognized.

(b) the VKB software thinks the grip is a KG-12.

I guess I have missed a critical update step? What is that?

EDIT: I could not run wizzo_gf, because I get "JOYSTICK NOT FOUND PLEASE CHECK THE CONNECTION", so I am running VkbDevCfg v1.852.

EDIT 2: Here is the screen shot showing that the VKB software only knows about the KG 12 grip:

LKiBkFJ.png

You need to update to the 1.917 firmware for the MCG I believe. Get the firmware and zbootloader from the vkb site, put them in your vkbdevcfg folder the hit boot loader from within vkbdevcfg.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

You need to update to the 1.917 firmware for the MCG I believe. Get the firmware and zbootloader from the vkb site, put them in your vkbdevcfg folder the hit boot loader from within vkbdevcfg.

I tried that. And it did not seem to work. But that's because I did not do it right. Good news is that I figured out how to update the firmware

It is really a crazily convoluted and, to me, a non-intuitive process, so I am going to list it here for future reference:

(1) Download ZBootloader and the firmware file.

(2) Load Vkb Config, and click bootloader. The blue light on the Black Box goes out and the VKB config program quits. Don;t worry about this, and do not try to get the blue light to come on. It's fine.

(3) NOW fire up "ZBootloader". You might see something like "read error 0". If so click reset, quit ZBootloader, and restart it again. You should now see just the "device connected" message without the "read error 0"

(4) From inside ZBootloader, open the .vkb firmware file you downloaded. Then click on "Flash".

(5) Now your Black Box should register as "VKBSim Gunfighter Modern Combat PRO v1.917".

For me, going from step 2 to 4 was the crazy non-intuitive part. I must have missed to some basic documentation.

Aaaaaanyway, that's the good news out of the way.

Here is the bad news (for me):

The buttons, switches, etc. on the grip are STILL not being recognized, nor is the different grip.... :(

zVJNWmv.png

ZIBUXHh.png

I guess I am going to open a ticket ...

Edited by Bearfoot

I tried that. And it did not seem to work. But that's because I did not do it right. Good news is that I figured out how to update the firmware

It is really a crazily convoluted and, to me, a non-intuitive process, so I am going to list it here for future reference:

(1) Download ZBootloader and the firmware file.

(2) Load Vkb Config, and click bootloader. The blue light on the Black Box goes out and the VKB config program quits. Don;t worry about this, and do not try to get the blue light to come on. It's fine.

(3) NOW fire up "ZBootloader". You might see something like "read error 0". If so click reset, quit ZBootloader, and restart it again. You should now see just the "device connected" message without the "read error 0"

(4) From inside ZBootloader, open the .vkb firmware file you downloaded. Then click on "Flash".

(5) Now your Black Box should register as "VKBSim Gunfighter Modern Combat PRO v1.917".

For me, going from step 2 to 4 was the crazy non-intuitive part. I must have missed to some basic documentation.

Aaaaaanyway, that's the good news out of the way.

Here is the bad news (for me):

The buttons, switches, etc. on the grip are STILL not being recognized, nor is the different grip.... :(

zVJNWmv.png

ZIBUXHh.png

I guess I am going to open a ticket ...

Make sure the stick is plugged all the way in. There should be 0 clearance (flush) between the stick collar and the base.

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

Checked.

Still no joy

In the drop down that says KG12 can you select MCG or Generic Device? From the screenshot you posted.

• Like 1

In the drop down that says KG12 can you select MCG or Generic Device? From the screenshot you posted.

Did not even know that was a drop down! I can indeed select either MCG or Generic Device. This made think the problem was solved! But alas, still no joy ... no button clicks register, and the device still shows up as missing/red. Also, when I restart the device its back to KG 12 :(

fjZ9dEq.png

@Bearfoot:

Can you put your KG12 back on your base and be sure to reset your base to the factory default - which is a good starting point for everything thereafter:

1) Launch VkbDevCfg-C

2) Click on the "Info" tab and type DEFAULT (all uppercase!)

3) Click on the button near edit window

4) Click on the "Default" button (see attached)

The device will restart with factory default setting.

The idea is that you need to get rid of the KG12 references stored inside the BlackBox so that the MCG can be recognized.

With the default settings active, take your KG12 grip off and put the MCG on. Have a look at the BlackBox - does the 'Stick' LED flash red? If so, that would indicate that the grip is not fully seated on the Gunfighter base and there is no communication between the base and the grip. Please check that as well first.

Also, once the MCG grip is on, go through with the MCG calibration procedure: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2853

Have a look here too to see if this helps you any further if issues still persist: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=28675#p28675

p3.JPG.db6b43633f1875ef3be6832d8426c81e.JPG

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As promised, I'm following up :thumbup: Thank you in advance for your time.

Yeah. And label translation.

You won;t believe but I still remember :)

Just something more urgent gets in the way every time we want to do it.

But patience will be finally rewarded :)

Remind me again end of this week if there is still nothing....

Ah, "communication"

I'm wondering what exactly point you're trying so hard to prove? That during transition period there are some miscommunication problems? - Thanks, I've noticed that already. We'll take care of the big red letters. No shortage of those in China.

:pilotfly:

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator

Yeah. And label translation.

You won;t believe but I still remember :)

Just something more urgent gets in the way every time we want to do it.

But patience will be finally rewarded :)

Remind me again end of this week if there is still nothing....

Sounds good sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

@Bearfoot:

Can you put your KG12 back on your base and be sure to reset your base to the factory default - which is a good starting point for everything thereafter:

1) Launch VkbDevCfg-C

2) Click on the "Info" tab and type DEFAULT (all uppercase!)

3) Click on the button near edit window

4) Click on the "Default" button (see attached)

The device will restart with factory default setting.

The idea is that you need to get rid of the KG12 references stored inside the BlackBox so that the MCG can be recognized.

With the default settings active, take your KG12 grip off and put the MCG on. Have a look at the BlackBox - does the 'Stick' LED flash red? If so, that would indicate that the grip is not fully seated on the Gunfighter base and there is no communication between the base and the grip. Please check that as well first.

Also, once the MCG grip is on, go through with the MCG calibration procedure: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2853

Have a look here too to see if this helps you any further if issues still persist: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=28675#p28675

That did it!

THANKS!

I think I got away with just doing the typing "DEFAULT", clicking the button and then clicking the big "DEFAULT" button (i.e., without swapping the grips back and forth) ... as that seemed to solve everything. Grip is recognized as MCG, and all buttons, axes, etc. are recognized!!

I totally missed reading that these steps were needed. Excellent support saved the day :) :) :)

THANKS AGAIN!

• Like 1

Thanks a ton @rrohde, you're so much on right time with your helping hand.

Hey Aerogator , any idea of the availability of the MCG Pro for gladiator pro MKii from Russia website

I placed an order from Russia VKB the order # is 6436 . it was placed on January 3rd. the automated mail was sent informing me that they will contact me of the payment method as well as the delivery method however till right now i hadn't receive any mail from them so i can proceed with my payment. at that moment i thought maybe my order got lost or something so i placed another order # 6493 same item and i still didnt receive anything from them . would be possible if you can update me on any of these orders.

Thank you in advance

I had the same issue as bearfoot. The only problem I am having now is the stick light keeps flashing red. I have reseated the stick multiple times and I am pretty sure it is seated properly... I sent in a support ticket.

You probably already thought of this --- but check the cable connections. I get that red light when one thes cable is slightly loose in its socket.

You probably already thought of this --- but check the cable connections. I get that red light when one thes cable is slightly loose in its socket.

Everything is nice and tight.

Edit: I can try taking the stick apart once I get permission, don't wanna mess with the warranty.

Edited by StandingCow

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Everything is nice and tight.

Edit: I can try taking the stick apart once I get permission, don't wanna mess with the warranty.

Upload here screenshots from VKBDevCfg-C:

- Test-> External devices

- Global -> External

Click on the "Stat" button

Upload here screenshots from VKBDevCfg-C:

- Test-> External devices

- Global -> External

Click on the "Stat" button

Yea, actually I just noticed my KG12 stick isn't working either (it was earlier). The pins on the base itself are not in any way damaged or bent, and they are still springy. I had hit park controller at some point but since rebooted, does that have to be unset in some other way?

Lights on the blackbox are blue by sys - green by bus - flashing red by stick

See attached for screenshots.

externaldevices.thumb.JPG.6c899e89c2e90b7ebbdb0bb634cec04a.JPG

externalstat.thumb.JPG.d19262e9d6a7596963c47a9fb07ba40b.JPG

Edited by StandingCow

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Ok, I reinstalled the KG12 grip and flashed the firmware back to an earlier version (_BlackBox_GF_v1_85_2). I am now seeing a green light on the blackbox. Going to try reflashing the newest firmware again...

Edit: Flashed newest firmware and again the red flashing light on both grips. Question, am I supposed to be flashing the MCG-pro firmware or just MCG firmware? I have been doing MCG-Pro since that's the stick I have. Pretty sure this proves it isn't a physical issue?

Edited by StandingCow

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

Ok, I reinstalled the KG12

Look, when you flash the system with FW made for KG12 and default it - in the very moment it defaults, the system begins working with and for KG12, not any other grip.

As you said, the system recognizes KG12 and shines the green light to you.

=> Fine, that proves the base is alright.

When you flash the system with FW made for MCG (Pro in your case), and default it - the system will (or, is supposed to) work with the MCG, and stop recognizing KG12*.

There must be some contact missing, as we tried all grips before packing, and they all worked. Hence, there of course may be surprises, but a "doa" case is extremely unlikely.

Let's see where the contact might be lost.

First, although it is banal, I would recommend you wipe the contacts (both pins and platforms) with an earbud dipped in gin.

Then if it didn't help right away, open the grip, carefully disconnect the cable that is going to the base (red-yellow-black).

Also, open the base so that you get access to the same cable there.

Mount the grip onto the base twist it a few times, and check the connection with a multimeter.

Tell me how it goes.

_____

* there will be FW that you will be able to use with both grips (different profiles though) a bit later.

>

Best Regards from VKB Lair,

AeroGator