AJ37 Armament

MBot

For a a while I have been trying to get a definitive picture of the armament options for the AJ37 Viggen. Please note that this is about the AJ37 before the AJS37 upgrade in the 1990s. Of particular interest are the hardpoints capable to carry the RB75 Maverick missile. There seems to be some conflicting information around.

AJSHF37_Bev-stor.jpg

For long I have depended on this graphic, as it seems to be very specific about what the AJS upgrade changes. Note that it lists two RB75 on the fuselage hardpoints for the AJ37 prior to the AJS modification.

37vapenalt.jpg

This graphic is interesting because it shows two RB75 on the wing stations instead. What is discrediting this graphic is that it shows a RB04 on the center-line pylon, which as far as I know could only ferry the RB04 but not launch it.

latest?cb=20130718105113

Yet another variant, this time it either two RB75 on the wing or fuselage hardpoints are shown, but apparently not all 4 at the same time. Again we have the RB04 center-line issue.

Let's have a look at some photos. Unfortunately photos of RB75 seem to be quite rare and it is often hard to tell whether the subject is a AJ37 or AJS37.

YylBeIz.jpg

That is probably the most famous picture. Considering the quality, I would hazard a guess and say this one is a AJS37.

nMwgxUh.jpg

Here we have a nice shot of number 3 and 4 carrying RB75 on the fuselage hardpoints.

attachment.php?attachmentid=175227&stc=1&d=1514634528

This still from a youtube clip actually made me question the first graphic above. Note the RB75 on the wing hardpoints. Now the big question is whether this is a AJ or AJS. F7 did fly the AJS for a couple of years as far as I know, but the footage has a vintage touch. Of course you never know what kind of processing was applied to the video. (also note that this seems to be live RB75 and not training rounds, a very rare sight).

So, does anyone have any evidence or first hand experience on what hardpoints the AJ37 were RB75 capable?

Viggen_RB75.thumb.jpg.0a216dad04a64867ff2f2df6df009ac7.jpg

Interesting question...

I’m racking my brain here. I served as a mechanic on the AJ37. I only remember hanging RB75 on the fuselage pylons. But I seem to remember something about it could hang on the wing pylons, but the computer could only handle 2 RB75 at the time, or something?

Unfortunately I’m not sure, so my reply will probably just add to the confusion.

I will check with some friends, still in service...

Part 3 of the AJ 37 SFI, page 8 in the pdf, lists all the loadout alternatives for the original AJ 37 (minus the outermost pylons). It does differ a bit from the other available tables though.

Regarding carrying the Rb 04E on the central pylon - it was discussed in another thread and the conclusion was that the air force wanted it to be implemented there, but it turned out to be unpractical due to the low ground clearance. And the AJ 37 was very dependent on carrying an X-tank anyway.

Edited by Farks

Part 3 of the AJ 37 SFI, page 8 in the pdf, lists all the loadout alternatives for the original AJ 37 (minus the outermost pylons). It does differ a bit from the other available tables though.

Regarding carrying the Rb 04E on the central pylon - it was discussed in another thread and the conclusion was that the air force wanted it to be implemented there, but it turned out to be unpractical due to the low ground clearance. And the AJ 37 was very dependent on carrying an X-tank anyway.

Thank you, this is fantastic! So RB75 could be loaded on the wing stations, but apparently never more than 2.

What is very interesting about this list is the large number of asymmetric loadouts to mix A-G ordinance, Sidewinders (often just 1) and pods. Combining one RB05 and one RB24 for example makes a lot of sense, since you can't fire two RB05 in a single attack anyway (and you generally do not want to re-attack).

I really like this loadout: KB - RB75 - XT - RB24 - RB75

It's a bit weird though, since other sources show different data and claim that asymetrical loadouts weren't possible. But since it's the actual flight instruction manual used by the air force, and thus can be considered a primary source, it should be accurate. This part of the SFI was published in 1979 after the Rb 75 had been implemented, so maybe they had used that opportunity to re-wire some other stuff to allow for the listed loadouts?

IIRC this was still possible, but without wiring for firing (but it could be used to transport an -04). Probably no point in simulating this in DCS Viggen though!

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/