*** 2018 VR Wishlist ***

Precog

One thing I would put on my wish list, would be spatial audio. Much like one gets when playing an Oculus game made for VR.

Don't know if something like that is possible on a game designed primarily to run on a monitor or not, but would be a nice enhancement.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Please please please fix the VR zoom speed.

It seems like having a bindable axis could potentially be cool, but at the very least giving us an option to make it an instant pop to full zoom or adjust the speed would be a huge improvement to VR.

The zoom animation speed can be a bit excruciating at times.

One thing I would put on my wish list, would be spatial audio. Much like one gets when playing an Oculus game made for VR.

Don't know if something like that is possible on a game designed primarily to run on a monitor or not, but would be a nice enhancement.

Yes, that would be pretty cool. Oh, and you were right. Robo Recall is a pretty fun game! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Yes, that would be pretty cool. Oh, and you were right. Robo Recall is a pretty fun game! :)

:thumbup:

It is a blast!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

What would be quite a nice little quality of life addition is the ability to set/force a desired ASW mode from within the game, alongside the PD slider.

I'm well aware that this can be achieved using either the Oculus debug tool or OTT - But the quirk with that is using the debug tool you have to manually set anything other than 'AUTO', and for OTT there seems to be an issue with profiles not setting your choice for ASW on app launch, and to achieve the desired setting I have to manually flip from say 45 locked, to auto and then back to 45 locked for it to stick. That might be just me, maybe I'm doing something wrong...but it's extra steps all the same.

It'd be nice to have a setting for it in game that applies and stick upon launch. Just a thought.

I might stick that one in the proper 'wishlist' thread - does anyone know if the ED devs frequent that one?

9700k@5.2Ghz | GTX 1080ti | 32gb Ram@3200Mhz | 512gb M.2 NVME SSD

Oculus Rift S | VKB GF Pro Mk.II+MCG Pro (rotary wing) | BRD DS-Raven (fixed wing) | MFG Crosswind V2 | Jetseat+SSA/SSM | SimLab GT1 80/20 Rig | NLR Motion Platform V3 | Quad Bass Shaker Setup

DIY Control Panels: 'White Rhino' Throttle | UFC | MFBB Left | MFBB Right | MFBB Centre | WEP-TECH ACP | HYD-MECH LDG | SYS-ELEC | AN/ARC Radio

I don't believe the Oculus or Steam VR runtime support SLI/Crossfire. DCS can't support it because neither system will. Their explanation is that there is too much latency in multi GPU environments.

Correct, Oculus API does not support mGPU.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Correct, Oculus API does not support mGPU.

Lame. From what I gathered from this thread though, VR in DCS doesn't seem to be constrained at the GPU level if you have a high end GPU:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=157374

That's why I was wondering about the idea of running two separate engine threads both sending their own outputs to the GPU to separate the computing tasks for the left and right eyes. (disclaimer: I last wrote a computer program in the year 2000)

• 2 weeks later...

In other VR games there is less game-play benefit in going into extra/unlimited details.

In flight and especially military sims it is the case. Newly available Vive PRO and Pimax 5K/8K VR solutions are moving the boundaries, while (single) GPU can't keep up.

Both Nvidia and AMD got their implementations of multi-GPU rendering for VR. There are tech/demos/games about it, means it is possible. It is matter of priorities and resources (people coding 3D engine are different to 3d modelling or simulation coders). Considering military customers, multi-gpu rendering (one per vr-eye) would be extremely beneficial for the product. Support from NVidia/AMD, PR/news time, popularity among generic VR customers who got money, taking care of small yet dedicated user-base DCS got (hence the prices).

• 4 weeks later...

Anti-Alliasing

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

I would add supplement with leap motion support natively in dcs for manipulating the switches and knobs.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

In other VR games there is less game-play benefit in going into extra/unlimited details.

In flight and especially military sims it is the case. Newly available Vive PRO and Pimax 5K/8K VR solutions are moving the boundaries, while (single) GPU can't keep up.

I just bought a Samsung Odyssey, which has the same resolution as the Vive Pro and performance is quite good on my 1080Ti even with 1,6 Supersampling. Granted, anything that go considerably above that will need a new GPU architecture.

Intel i7-13700k | Zotac Trinity RTX 4090 | Asrock B660 Steel Legend | 32Gb RAM 3600 | 2TB NVMe + 2TB SSD + 8TB HDD | Corsair TX850M | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | LG 4K OLED 48CX8LC

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL

I just bought a Samsung Odyssey, which has the same resolution as the Vive Pro and performance is quite good on my 1080Ti even with 1,6 Supersampling. Granted, anything that go considerably above that will need a new GPU architecture.

Well you are doing better than me then with your higher resolution device. I must be doing something wrong. And I sure can't handle 1.6 PD, that really boosts your already high resolution much further.

I would not consider my performance with the Rift to be "quite good", in fact spent quite a bit of time tweaking just to get it "acceptable".

Maybe it is the 7700k...

Edited by dburne

Don B

nvm WMR fixed itself

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Same level of zoom as a monitor player. Don't care whether that's increasing zoom for VR user, or decreasing zoom for monitor players. I'd just like parity.

I think DCS needs to rethink how they display other aircraft at distance. This should not be determined by the resolution of the monitor or VR device, but rather by what would be detectable by a typical human fighter pilot eye.

For me, the Rift gives a compelling experience and I have found things like low level, refueling and formation flying to be much improved through VR. On the other hand, the distance at which airplane can be visually acquired is way too low. I know IRL, with less than fighter pilot eyesight I can spot an F15 at 8-9 miles, and of course this depends upon its orientation from my perspective. With the Rift, it isn't even close to IRL. This is with pretty optimized settings on a 1080ti.

I have heard many simmers say they love VR, but it’s just not competitive with monitors for spotting aircraft and results in a huge competitive disadvantage. Aside from VR, there shouldn’t be andvantage given to someone with a 4K monitor over 1080p..... at least there was a good solution for this way back in Falcon 4.0... so it would seem it is possible for ED to come out with a solution that makes visual acquisition of aircraft occur at same distances regardless of the display device, so that simmers with 1080p vs 4K or VR with various hardware (not everyone has 1080+ hardware for VR) are on a level playing field.

I’m not big on zooming. Maybe inside the cockpit to read a small gauge or indicator, but zooming outside ruins the experience. I’d favor a solution where you can put something near the center of your vision and the sim would provide some details on it through some type of triggerable dynamic label based on what you should be able to tell from that distance had you not been limited by your display device.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

My one month love affair with VR is already quickly cooling off and collecting dust. Bought one game, Lone Echo and only played maybe 1/4 of it. Glitches, nausea, hot face,steamy eyes and vasoline smeared graphics.

Yes its jaw dropping being IN the pit but to many draw backs especially when you have a nice 4k large tv.

Until the resolution is greatly improved, anything DCS does are just bandaid fixes. Helis and WW2 birds great fun just burning holes. High speed fighters and reading numbers on a small crt to launch a weapon on a black dot in a sea of "stuff" is about as fun as giving blood.

Unless "they" move fast, I can easily seeing VR once again dying out. VR is good for a few things and high fidelity fighter simulations ain't it.

Edited by JIMJAM

My one month love affair with VR is already quickly cooling off and collecting dust. Bought one game, Lone Echo and only played maybe 1/4 of it. Glitches, nausea, hot face,steamy eyes and vasoline smeared graphics.

Yes its jaw dropping being IN the pit but to many draw backs especially when you have a nice 4k large tv.

Until the resolution is greatly improved, anything DCS does are just bandaid fixes. Helis and WW2 birds great fun just burning holes. High speed fighters and reading numbers on a small crt to launch a weapon on a black dot in a sea of "stuff" is about as fun as giving blood.

Unless "they" move fast, I can easily seeing VR once again dying out. VR is good for a few things and high fidelity fighter simulations ain't it.

I can certainly understand your frustration, VR in it's current form will never be for everyone.

I do not believe though VR is in any danger of dying out, it has grown nicely over the last year and all signs show it continuing to do so going forward, especially as newer generation devices are developed and brought to market.

I do believe eventually VR will be very much mainstream. But certainly not there yet.

I look forward to the day, I can say " remember when" regarding today's generation devices.

Been flying in VR now over a year, and have never gone back to the monitor.

Don B

Player helmet shadow

Could ED please add the option to add a crude 3d model of a helmet, parented to the VR camera? It would not obscure any portion of the field of view and could be very low poly, with a simple shader.

This would then cast a shadow in the cockpit depending on the player's head movement, further increasing immersion.

For example, when I'm turning, or in a dogfight, and move my head in the cockpit I would then see the corresponding shadow move in my peripheral vision. Cockpit shadows already greatly contribute to immersion, to have it interacting live with my movement would anchor me in that space in a personal way.

If you ever played F.E.A.R. you'll remember what fully dynamic, player driven shadows can do for immersion. I can only imagine what that would be like in a cockpit.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

Easy to do too! As long as players don't get snitty when their reflection looks a bit bland. But relatively few VR pilots use the mirrors, as far as I know. Perhaps there's a shader switch to turn the helmet off for primary rays, and only for the shadow, who knows.

Oculus CV1, i7 4790k @ stock, gtx 1080ti @ stock, 32gb PC3-19200 @ 2.4ghz, warthog & saitek pedals, razer tartarus chroma.

-Avatars synced in multiplayer. This is a long shot but when me and a buddy land after a multiplayer flight - it would be awesome if we could hop out of the plane and walk/teleport to a Bar/Room at each airport/carrier and debrief the flight. So the ability to brief/debrief/chat socially with synced avatars WITHOUT leaving DCS would be pretty awesome.

Simplified version would be, if the headmovement would be more accurate - I'm missing looking up and down.

In addition to this, simple gestures with the hands would be great. It's more for the fun on the ground.

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2