Bad Rift Cable? Anyone experience this?

Mad Dog 7.62

Suddenly my Rift is giving me problems. Flying along and suddenly the view goes black, and when I check the Oculus app it says my HDMI cable is unplugged. I have checked it, unplugged it, switched ports, tried unplugging and plugging back in the end in the headset, checked all the USB plugs etc. Absolutely no problems prior to this. Its also wanting to kick on by itself at times too, without me picking up the headset. I have sent a message to Oculus support and I am guessing the cable has gone bad. Has anyone else experienced anything similar??

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

Do you see an Orange LED on the center of the HMD? I've had this happened to me and apparently it has to do with HDMI not being fully compliant (mentioned here a few times, if you want to search for it).

You can move the HMD's USB cable to a different USB port (Rift has a few recommended ones on their website). Or you can use an HDMI to DisplayPort converter and use that if you have a DP open.

Finally, check that the cable hasn't come loose on the HMD side. I've had that happen to me as well.

And of course, you could have a bad cable, but I would rule out the above first.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

as hansangb noted, I'd switch it to a different USB3 port first.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Thanks, I have tried all that already though. I really don't have that much use on the Rift, the cable should not be shot already either so I'm not sure whats going on. Waiting to hear something from Oculus support.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte GA97XSLI

Core i7 4790 @ 4.0 Ghz

MSI GTX 1080ti

32 Mb RAM DDR3-2133

512GB SSD for DCS

HP Reverb VR HMD

Thrustmaster Warthog & MFG Crosswind

I had that problem. At first I thought it was a USB problem but using it in another system had the same results. I RMA'd it and had a return in about a week. Hope your warranty is still valid

:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To "Mad Dog"

Windows 10 or Windows seven?

And whitch kind of video card?and his drivers?

On nvidia card 1080 you have a hdmi slot dedicated to VR?when black screen happens,change the slot seems to fix the issue,in any case on my rig:

A windows seven with a nvidia 1080 and his last drivers.

A black screen doesn't mean necessary a hardware conflict,in most of case it is due to software.

With OS whitch is regulating the supply power to redirect and switch sometimes ressources like USB .You might be surprised often.This kind of issue happens on insufficient power supply.And a rig equiped with sli request a lot.

I ran into a similar problem some time ago. I reinstalled on more than one occasion (Rift software), and then I launched DCS one day and I noticed Steam was also running. I shut everything down, rebooted the pc, made sure Steam was not open, and launched DCS. I now always make sure Steam is not active when I launch DCS, and have never encountered the issue again.

Sorry, no cool signature here.

Mad Dog, I have been using the rift since June 2016 without any problems. The past month the same problem as you started happening. Tried everything I could to fix it and nothing. Contacted Oculus support and even though the warranty is up, they still had me send it back and I am waiting to get another one.

Oculus is slow on this so just keep sending the info they ask for. Once they see your log files is when they will send you a return label to send it back.

+1 RMA it.

The connector on the RIFT probably got loose of the PCBA. Had the same issue with my brand new unit. You can test it. Push the cable INTO the headset when you are in VR. If the screen goes black, your connector on your RIFT is broken. Happend to a lot of units around 1-2 years ago.

Should be replaced without a complaint as long as you still got warranty.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

+1 RMA it.

The connector on the RIFT probably got loose of the PCBA. Had the same issue with my brand new unit. You can test it. Push the cable INTO the headset when you are in VR. If the screen goes black, your connector on your RIFT is broken. Happend to a lot of units around 1-2 years ago.

Should be replaced without a complaint as long as you still got warranty.

Yep, it`s a hardware problem. I had the same. In my case it was sufficient to move the had a bit to loose connection. Didn`t happen in the first 10 minutes of using the Rift when it still was cold. But after heating up a bit the problems started. Happened after I used the Rift for 1 month. But I didn`t have a problem to get a replacement unit.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Hey Mad Dog,

please have a look in my experience report:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196039

I have played a long time with a broken Rift before thinking of RMA. Since the service of Oculus is close to perfection I recommend to get a new one, since it is very likely that you have a hardware problem.

Cheers,

MadMonty

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

Because the issue is sometimes not the cable... Its the connector on the PCBA inside the RIFT.

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard