f18 cockpit build

Beerider

Bloody awesome!

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

here are all the steps :

1. search all the picture and materials with f18C - EASY/TIME CONSUMING

2. 3d model - i used the 3d model from FSX (is in the install folder) - I delete all the fuselage and i kept only cockpit. i scale it to 1:1 and i simplify it -remade some panels. (for this tasks i use some youtube tutorials and i call a friend 100 times - VERY HARD

3. buy some vectorial 2d panel drawings - 30$ -EASY

4. export 3d panels in vectorial format -MEDIUM

5. buy the wood panels - 50 $ -EASY

6. measure and cut the wood panels with a hand saw and file the edges - HARD

7. laser cut and engreve the faces of the panels - 170$ - EASY

8. search and buy push buttons, rotary encoders and toggle switches - 200$ - EASY/ VERY TIME CONSUMING

9. buy loebodnar controllers - 270$ - EASY

10. soldering the switches and wire the boards - MEDIUM/EXTREMELY TIME CONSUMING

my advice are:

1 don t start this type of project if you are a person who start something and never finish it.

2 you have to be extremely patient

3 prepare to do mistake and start over again

4 you have to be very methodical

My conclusion is that everybody can make this if he really want it and you don t have to be a NASA engineer. there a lot of information everywhere.

Now my problem is that with leobodnar boards and joy2key software the switches in the on position mantain the keyboard press . if someone can help me i will be grateful.

Looks awesome!

Now my problem is that with leobodnar boards and joy2key software the switches in the on position mantain the keyboard press . if someone can help me i will be grateful.

This is normal (maybe joy2key allows you to change this, I've never used it) Now you have to edit some lua files for the modules to properly use your toggle switch inputs. It's time consuming but worth it.

I made a tutorial thread/video, you can find others as well. https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=186695

• Like 1

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

After 2 month of hard work and zero skills i made this f18c cockpit. The wait for the module relese was much pleasent :doh:

It is not 100% accurate but i will use it with oculus rift

You should get a trackball mouse, I use one, and its brillinant:pilotfly:

Intel Core i7-6700K Cpu 4.00 GHz OC 4.8 GHz Water Cooled|32 GB DDR4 ram OC| Nvidia RTX 2080Ti| TrustMaster Warthog|Saitek Battle Pro Pedals | Logitec G13| Oculus Rift S :joystick:

I´m in for a ride, a VR ride:pilotfly:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBX_-Hml7_7s1dggit_vGpA?view_as=public

Drooling Drooling Drooling some more.

Are you sure you ain t wasting your work with Occulus rift?

How will you see the switches MFD and ect with the stuff in front of your eyes? (my impression)

I think a set of monitors/TV with track ir or similar could be much more enjoyable and not waste your work.

Now a question, i Se that you have many instruments that aren t a monitor ... RWR, artificial horizont, fuel gauge ect what are those, or which brand are they operational, i mean will they behave as they should or are they dummies?

Edited by Slaunyeh

your pit looks great, it looks like they are the backgrounds u get with the thrustmaster bezals,

i'm about to start making a sim pit and use a Rift, for the switches there is a small gap near the nose that u can see out off if u look down,so u can see the switches that way, well that what im planning, im gona try and make it so i can move panels around for other pits

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After you bild yourself the cockpit you will know with eyes close where is every switch. The problem is with mfd. But after some practice i can push the right button 80%.

The gauges are printed . From the start i wanted to use it with oculus. I can t say that i am a big fan of f18. I enjoy more ww2 planes era. I own most of dcs modules but from modern planes i like su27 / 33/ mig29 which sadly are very poor implemented. So i needed a very big joystick .... that's why I built it :))) . my choice was f18 because it is alike ( kind of....) su27 and maybe i will like it too..

If all the screen and gauges were functional the amount of work time and money were exponentially higher. So i keep it simple.

My Buttkicker lfe mini will arive monday and with andre software i hope to bring some life in it.

Edited by Beerider

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
After 2 month of hard work and zero skills i made this f18c cockpit. The wait for the module relese was much pleasent :doh:

It is not 100% accurate but i will use it with oculus rift

Overall Great setup, especially since you mentioned your first time doing this. Although looks like you used F16 style MPCD dipplays.

These would be more fitting for the Horent Pit( even if they are used for the super Hornet) the MDI is certainly very similar to the AMPCD.

https://www.driven-technologies.com/simulated-flat-panel-displays/simulated-military-displays/f-18-simulated-displays/f-18-multi-purpose-display-indicator-mdi.html

and on ebay you can find some actual Hornet DDI on sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/F-18-Hornet-Cockpit-MFD-DDI-Instrument-Panel/253934097447?hash=item3b1fa6d427:g:8AkAAOSwCx5bw7M1:rk:1:pf:0

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

• 2 months later...
here are all the steps :

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2040/index.htm

You may try this site if you haven't already.

Built many cockpits, and some of their boards solved my problems when

working out the kinks with joy2key.

The site can be confusing to navigate, but I found patience was rewarded...

at least in my case.

Hope it helps.

• 4 weeks later...