Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder pedals RJ-12 output?

Hello All,

Does anyone out there have the TFRP rudder pedals, or knows what kind of output the RJ-12 jack puts out?

I have the T.16000M FCS HOTAS on its way from eBay. I want to hack the throttle quadrant to make a dedicated heli collective (replacing the grip with tubular aluminum and replacing the buttons with better, etc.). There's an RJ-12 input where the rudder pedals can interface, and TM says that it'll incorporate the 3 axes from the pedals into the throttle. What I'd like to do is substitute 3 pots to use for trim wheels when I'm flying fixed wing aircraft, but don't know (short of buying and hacking) whether the RJ-12 signal is just a straight reading from the rudder axes or if it's run through the board on the pedals and communicated via serial or some such? I know that there's a separate USB output from the pedals, so maybe what comes across the RJ-12 line is linked in with that some way.

I could use a Bodnar board, I realize, for the trim controls, and more buttons to boot, but the FCS throttle has plenty of buttons to choose from, and keeping everything compatible with TARGET would increase cross-sim utility. (I don't usually use TARGET for sims, but it did allow me to use the Warthog HOTAS for Ghost Recon: Wildlands heli flight somewhat successfully).

Tell me, O Wise Ones, does anyone have the answers I seek?

Thanks in advance

-Erik

i9 11900K :: 32GB G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 :: Corsair water loop ::  Samsung 2TB 980pro nvme :: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterblock :: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Xtreme MoBo :: HP Reverb G2 VR

VKB Gunfighter flightstick and collective :: TM Warthog throttle & MFDs :: MFG Crosswind pedals :: 5 Dayton Audio bass shakers on 5.1 home theater amp

Win10 Pro x64 :: DCS 2.7 (Huey & P-51, mainly; have all the other rotors, but haven't explored their depths as yet)

Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder pedals RJ-12 output?

What I do know is that the RJ12 connector is for connecting to the T-Flight HOTAS 4 so that a PS4 will see a single controller with the rudder axes. This can also work for PC games that recognize a single controller. Beyond that, I cannot say.

There's an RJ-12 input where the rudder pedals can interface, and TM says that it'll incorporate the 3 axes from the pedals into the throttle. What I'd like to do is substitute 3 pots to use for trim wheels when I'm flying fixed wing aircraft, but don't know (short of buying and hacking) whether the RJ-12 signal is just a straight reading from the rudder axes or if it's run through the board on the pedals and communicated via serial or some such? I know that there's a separate USB output from the pedals, so maybe what comes across the RJ-12 line is linked in with that some way.

This RJ12 (female) connector in TWCS base is input for X,YZ (or whatever name of pedal axes) plus +5V and GND.

Inside pedal are nothing more that 3 potentiometers and their wires wires going to RJ12 male plug.

The way to know what pin in RJ12 is is looking in pot cables inside throttle to define what is +5V and Gnd, the remaining wires is one axis input each.

If you don't have pedals look at TWCS PCB where this RJ12 female is soldered, maybe are codes near, if not...you have a "pineapple to peel". :D

BTW - For this kind of project, a DIY collective, better use a BU08336, their electronics is better that TWCS ones, with easy to identify/use connections pins.

TCWS is a sliding throttle so heir mechanics has no use for a collective mechanism, neither are project for additional leverage/weight of collective tube...

Edited by Sokol1_br

What I do know is that the RJ12 connector is for connecting to the T-Flight HOTAS 4 so that a PS4 will see a single controller with the rudder axes. This can also work for PC games that recognize a single controller. Beyond that, I cannot say.

Thanks for the response, Home Fries.

That's about what I gathered. I wonder how informative it would be to take some resistance readings from the pinouts. If it's a straight line to the pots, the meter would show it.

I didn't find any specific documentation online, so I wondered if any of the control builders in the audience had any experience with these...

Thanks!

-Erik

i9 11900K :: 32GB G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 :: Corsair water loop ::  Samsung 2TB 980pro nvme :: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Waterblock :: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Xtreme MoBo :: HP Reverb G2 VR

VKB Gunfighter flightstick and collective :: TM Warthog throttle & MFDs :: MFG Crosswind pedals :: 5 Dayton Audio bass shakers on 5.1 home theater amp

Win10 Pro x64 :: DCS 2.7 (Huey & P-51, mainly; have all the other rotors, but haven't explored their depths as yet)

Hello!

My pedals rudder axis just broke so I decided to use the toebrakes and combine them in a target script to an rudder axis. I wanted them alittle further apart so I rebuilt them :smilewink:

I hope the pictures help you with the connections.

IMG_20180118_184256.thumb.jpg.75f0f7e679e0a6adc844ae493c4d14a3.jpg

IMG_20180118_184500.thumb.jpg.6674bcab687a9fd9c6804cd11d07c74a.jpg

IMG_20180118_184511.thumb.jpg.dee24e2db2752afe5ab81a0f028acafb.jpg

IMG_20180118_184608.thumb.jpg.a6e8c22c76dca3004151822a6d2ac518.jpg

IMG_20180118_184808.thumb.jpg.b921714d8005a82f7e0efc29165b0af0.jpg

IMG_20180118_184523.thumb.jpg.214830d699dc4407a1334c3d55cad4e9.jpg

Hello!

My pedals rudder axis just broke so I decided to use the toebrakes and combine them in a target script to an rudder axis. I wanted them alittle further apart so I rebuilt them :smilewink:

I hope the pictures help you with the connections.

Wow, thanks!!

Is that the only card in the box? Nothing for USB interface?

The connections look like they're going to be VERY helpful.

_Erik

Wow, thanks!!

_Erik

Oh, I think I see...

J2 and J3 are the remaining toe axes, and J1 is the absent rudder?

_Erik

Wow, thanks!!

_Erik

Yes, it's the only card. For USB you plug in the RJ12 in a USB dongle.

Oh, I think I see...

J2 and J3 are the remaining toe axes, and J1 is the absent rudder?

_Erik

Correct. Even with J1 disconnected I have spikes on rudder axis. I think my USB dongle is broken. Just using my toebrakes for rudder works great!

Glad I could help :)

Yes, it's the only card. For USB you plug in the RJ12 in a USB dongle.

Correct. Even with J1 disconnected I have spikes on rudder axis. I think my USB dongle is broken. Just using my toebrakes for rudder works great!

Glad I could help :)

Perfect, thanks!

I didn't expect to get an answer, much less such a complete one, and so quickly.

-Erik

• 5 months later...

This is great info, thanks!

I don't have the TM pedals, but I want to plug a DIY set to the TWCS throttle so I don't need separate electronics.

The RJ12 connector on the throttle is a non-standard one, though... It has the latch on the left side. I can probably modify a standard (center-latched) connector to fit, but I'd rather find a proper one instead.

Anybody got a good source for it (i.e., cheap)? I found it in a couple online auction sites, but they only sell like a 100-pack and shipping was too expensive. I only need half a dozen, and free (or dirty cheap) shipping :D