OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

Thanks all! Really excited about this so far - likely the most complex part of the pit so far. No exploded views yet. If I get bored and want to take time from accomplishing the current stuff, I'll make em, but otherwise not until the design is done and it's time to start making drawings and the BOM.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Throttle Quadrant is complete - redesigned the servo mounts, and made it a stand alone installation into the console - some significant redesign of the forward internal structure of the console was required. Also, redesigned the fingerlifts - they are not going to be fun to print, but unfortunately the best I can do. I MAY machine them out of aluminum just for fun.

The cover plate for the console is pretty different than the real one - this was necessary because of the build requirements of the throttle quadrant. Just no way around this without making the throttle arms more like the real one which will take a full machine shop to make.

Just wanted to add screen caps of the final iteration of the throttle quadrant. Work on the seat is in full swing, and really excited about what this comes out to. Unfortunately, reliable reference material has been hard to come by, so it will be "ish" at best unless some first hand sources become available.

OH_Throttle_Quad_ISO_20181225.thumb.PNG.a8c0dfe6f4ea02ba02ee42441aa2cf48.PNGOH_Throttle_Quad_LEFT_20181225.thumb.PNG.af6a38bfb36bbb7a03518410feabed70.PNGOH_Throttle_Quad_RIGHT_20181225.thumb.PNG.feaed75cef5c888f544c54033fdb8442.PNGOH_Throttle_Quad_GRIPS_FRONT_20181225.PNG.65c4bfb3787699d05b9df1d9c182d0b5.PNGOH_Throttle_Quad_GRIPS_BACK_20181225.thumb.PNG.748b755e3800c4db3a0ad3f6a9eeb7eb.PNGOH_Throttle_Quad_SERVO_MECH_20181225.PNG.6bb9b8b0333a21429f9d2b779e69dbad.PNG

Awesome work man! That looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Been working the seat pretty heavily. Conceptual model is mostly done - now I have to finish designing the various mechanisms, the seat arming lever, and fastening everything together.

OH_WIP_SEAT1_20181227.PNG.c8b10db533f477d184b7420c44a2f501.PNGOH_WIP_SEAT2_20181227.PNG.b7f13d2cbb4e0f6d6f3e95880ac04c16.PNGOH_WIP_SEAT3_20181227.PNG.181b4ced2a37a19ef44dd11786ad0904.PNG

And just to show how far we are....

OH_WIP_SEAT4_20181227.thumb.PNG.4bc337864d307865356b3003a3964fa8.PNG

Edited by jrsteensen

Looking at picking up some acrylic sheet so I can start experimenting with back-lit panel fabrication. I'd rather just order one big sheet cut down into a more manageable size so I have enough to experiment with and plenty remaining to pack the actual panels when the plans are available.

If I recall correctly, you are designing the OpenHornet back-lit panels around the assumption they will be made of stacked layers of 3mm/0.125" acrylic, milled (necessitating cast, not extruded acrylic), painted and engraved, is that correct?

I'm thinking to get the sheet cut down into 5.750" wide blanks to minimize material wastage when milling the light plate and panel to their final dimensions while being wide enough to make the backing plate to the mil-spec dimension if I stick with an acrylic back plate instead of aluminum. Are the OpenHornet panels being designed around those same dimensions from the mil-spec or should I look at getting the sheets cut to a different size?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

AJ: Unfortunately, the panels will not be back-lit this iteration. Backlighting creates an order of magnitude of complexity and cost and we decided that backlit panels are something we may do in a future iteration. That said, the electronics are capable of supporting PWM backlighting.

Here is an excerpt from our requirements document detailing the panel construction:

2. PANEL REQUIREMENTS

2.1. PANEL STACKUP

2.1.1. Panels shall consist of the following plys:

2.1.1.1. .125 (1/8) inch clear acrylic (Backplate)

2.1.1.2. .1875 (3/16) inch clear acrylic light plate (Light Plate)

2.1.1.3. .0625 (1/16) inch Rowmark Ultra-Matte, White on Black (Legend Plate) (Equivalent 2-ply rotary engravable materials may be substituted as desired.)

2.2. PANEL CONSTRUCTION

2.2.1. Light Plate and Legend Plate shall be bonded with Weld-On #4 or equivalent, then painted IAW FED-STD-595, 37038, Lusterless Black, prior to engraving.

2.2.2. Backplate shall be painted IAW FED-STD-595, 37038, Lusterless Black.

2.2.3. Bonded Light and Legend Plate assembly shall be assembled to the Back Plate with #6 screws, unless otherwise required for specific application.

2.2.4. Backplates shall be installed to consoles with #6 flathead screws with printed DZUS head replicas.

2.3. PANEL TYPOGRAPHY

2.3.1. Legend Panels shall be engraved to the minimum depth as specified by the manufacturer.

2.3.2. All fonts shall be Gordon Medium Bold or Gordon Medium Condensed Bold as required for specific application.

2.3.3. 14-point sized font shall be standard, increasing and decreasing as required for specific application.

Badger: Here is the footprint of the pit: (NOTE: This does not include any external visuals or other accessories you may utilize in the installation.)

Length: 71.2in [1808.5mm]

Width: 34.47in [875.6mm]

Height: 42.61in [1082.3mm]

This is great info!

Any chance that the plans for the Tub frame can be shared so that we can get working on the basic cockpit frame construction while the other elements are being finalized?

Ultimately, no. While still designing, everything is subject to change until the release candidate is ready. I've ran into several situations that resulting in some minor and some major adjustments to other assemblies while designing other components. It's a bad idea that will result in people having to rework things multiple times. Best just to not paint ourselves into that corner.

Ultimately, no. While still designing, everything is subject to change until the release candidate is ready. I've ran into several situations that resulting in some minor and some major adjustments to other assemblies while designing other components. It's a bad idea that will result in people having to rework things multiple times. Best just to not paint ourselves into that corner.

Think of the Lexus LFA - They introduced a carbon reinforced frame while in development. Before (As much as I heard) they started dev it with a normal metal/aluminium chassis. If that is true, I don't want to know how much had to be redesigned :music_whistling:

I am looking forward to this btw. - I figured out I need a SimPit myself :)

1000 flights, 1000 crashes - perfect record

Well, finished up the seat this AM. Well into the rudder pedals and powered linear actuator carriage adjustment mechanism. This is using the MFG Crosswinds. You can see the carriage, and the reference pedal I'll be using to design a pair of 3D printed pedals for this thing.

Oh! Prime example of why we don't release anything yet - I had to remove 3 inches of material from the structure of the lower console to accommodate the pedals at full aft adjustment.

OH_WIP_RUDDER1_20190108.PNG.163db7e1ca3415749c5368dea0df988a.PNGOH_WIP_RUDDER2_20190108.PNG.66dc3ea016d8bd87e954e137aceb1b85.PNG

And the pedals are done, and integrated into the pit. No mods required to the Crosswinds.

OH_FINAL_RUDDER1_20190109.PNG.dda4fff3ddf9d9eb778167d455f5a519.PNG

They have about 7 inches of electric adjustment, then can be manually slid back and forth on a rail and locked in place so you can place the CL of that 7 inches wherever you need to.

Will the basic design without the linear actuator and rail be able to accommodate other pedal designs like the Thrustmaster TPR or the Slaw devices range?
No. You should be able to design a platform for your specific pedals pretty easily. I think the TM pedals will be too narrow to clear the center pedestal however.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info.

The TPR are 236mm wide between the outside edges of the pendulum arms and 520mm wide from the outside edges of each pedal. At the narrowest point of the housing they are 147mm wide.

How does this compare to the width of the central pedestal?