OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

...Thanks to this forum, i present my new pedals !!!
They came out nice hreich!

All,

The project is slow on progress right now. This is a busy time of year for all of us with our real jobs. Not abandoned. Just slow for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yes that’s the basic concept except we use the RS-487 chip. It allows up to 128 devices on the bus and termination resistors are not necessary. You won't be able to buy ready made break out boards as you can for the 485 chip however the wiring is very simple. If you are intending to use DCS BIOS, there are template sketches for master and slave in the examples in the Arduino IDE once you install the DCS BIOS library.

As to PSU, find an old pc and salvage the PSU from it. Wallwarts may not be sufficient with respect to current draw depending on how you build your cockpit. I use a common 5V power rail that all my Arduino boards are connected too. I also have a 12v power rail for specialty components such as led strips.

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

Great project! Any update on this?

My rig specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @3.4Ghz // Corsair 16GB DDR3 // MoBo Asus Z87K // HDD 1TB 7200RPM // eVGA Nvidia GTX 760GT 2GB DDR5 // LG 3D 47" 1920x1080 // Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS // Saitek Combat Pro Pedals // Thrustmaster MFD Cougar pack // PS3 Eye + FTNOIR

It's much too late now, but I have a photogrammetry scanned F-18 left side throttle. If you want to compare the shape of the guessed one.

Mesh isn't cleaned up or scaled. The texture looks wierd because I sprayed it with water and baby powder to get an accurate scan

https://skfb.ly/6I7wL

edit:

Right grip as well

https://skfb.ly/6I7yw

Edited by TomVR

• 3 weeks later...

Look absolutely fantastic TomVR! Thanks! Turns out we were very very close with the left grip, though I'll try to get around to tweaking it to match yours when I get the chance.

I'm back at work on the project, having completed the HOOK indicator and working the standby compass. I'm going to forgo a full canopy bow, as it just adds complexity to the goal of making the pit easily moved, and reference info with the canopy closed is extremely hard to come by.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any updates on timeline for availability of the structure files?

So really the major items we have left for mechanical work is the stick, glareshields, skins, and center tub structure. We aren't committing to any timelines at this point as work is very very slow to progress right now, but once those items are complete, we may look at a partial release. It depends if people want a full drawings package or if the CAD files will be sufficient.

Found late but subscribed :)

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Hi!

Eagerly awaiting for any kind of release. Partial or otherwise.

Donated!

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

Hey!

Many (maybe most) of us have ability to use CAD files and explore/experiment with your models without the drawing packages.

As a humble recommendation, then, I would suggest that you make the CAD models available as early as you can and welcome derivative contributions from fellow designers/builders. My belief is that that would not only accelerate the project but it would also result in the weeding out of problems before you invest a whole lot of time in putting together the drawings.

Hey!

Many (maybe most) of us have ability to use CAD files and explore/experiment with your models without the drawing packages.

As a humble recommendation, then, I would suggest that you make the CAD models available as early as you can and welcome derivative contributions from fellow designers/builders. My belief is that that would not only accelerate the project but it would also result in the weeding out of problems before you invest a whole lot of time in putting together the drawings.

I kind of like the idea of an open QA period before starting drawings. Great idea. I'll talk to the team about it. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...

I was not particularly convinced about building a F/A-18 pit ... until I read this entire thread.

OpenHornet team seems to do a fantatsic job and I am very interested to see where it will go.

Since i am planning to buy a Shapeoko I think this pit would be a wonderful module for my modular cockpit, after a bit of tweaking.

@ Bloop: I was so happy to read that you will rebuild the Iris software to make it compatible with Raspberry, this just what I need for my Mirage 2000 pit. Will it be customizable (as the original Iris) to be compatible with all DCS modules?

I've been interested in this for a while, definitely doing the full Hornet build, but wont start until about March 2020 as I'll be deployed to the Middle East until then. I'm hoping by that time this is either finished or there is something released so I can start as I think this is a great initiative and top notch project.

but not many builders ready to pull the trigger on a full build in a reasonable timeframe to act as alpha testers.

Waves :)

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

Have also donated and signed up on the discord.

Looking forward to building my first pit. Having this resource saves so much time!

Keep up the good work.

And if you need some help, holla out on the discord.