OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to believe that this thread started 18 months ago! It has been a source of inspiration and motivation. I for one, would love to tackle a new (from scratch) build based on a complete set of cockpit plans so please share updates on availability of the frame plans as soon as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Good morning all! Randomtroubledmind and I have decided to start building a preliminary release package of the CAD models for the OpenHornet project and the F/A-18C cockpit reference model. This package will not reflect the final configuration and everything will be subject to change. We feel this is the best path forward given development has somewhat stalled due to life responsibilities.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!!

What a contribution to this community. Thank you!

Are there any guides that illustrate how to open category areas as complete components to begin some work. I'm not well versed in Github but after the download, it looks like there are well over a gig of files and it's hard to tell which ones are sub components (or dependencies) in order to get a full model open in something like Fusion 360.

Thanks again!

WOW!!!

What a contribution to this community. Thank you!

Are there any guides that illustrate how to open category areas as complete components to begin some work. I'm not well versed in Github but after the download, it looks like there are well over a gig of files and it's hard to tell which ones are sub components (or dependencies) in order to get a full model open in something like Fusion 360.

Thanks again!

Hey DD! I just updated the report's README to include the basic top level assembly structure.

I said it on discord and I'll say it again here ... Bravo! Amazing work and I can't wait to start printing some components. In one fell swoop you have answered many prayers, 3d models for all the knobs in the cockpit? Hallelujah!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

I'm getting an error in Solidworks stating that the OpenHornetSimPit.sldasm file is corrupt and cannot be opened. If I select the OpenHornetSimPit.sldasm file and try to see the dependencies, the same error is presented. Anyone else having this error or have some advice on how to fix?

BTW, I'm using Solidworks 2018-2019

Edited by ddanois@mac.com
typo

Thanks for all the incredible amount of work and going ahead a publishing the files as a "work in progress." The README.MD file lists "Center Tub.sldasm" as one of the high level assembly files, but there is no file by that name in the MCAD folder. Could it be called something else?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Thanks for all the incredible amount of work and going ahead a publishing the files as a "work in progress." The README.MD file lists "Center Tub.sldasm" as one of the high level assembly files, but there is no file by that name in the MCAD folder. Could it be called something else?
How did you download the repository? Are you familiar enough with CAD to understand file relationships and parametric modelling? (Not talking down to, just asking!)

And honestly, the center tub is basically a placeholder until I get the stick designed and integrated.

How did you download the repository? Are you familiar enough with CAD to understand file relationships and parametric modelling? (Not talking down to, just asking!)

And honestly, the center tub is basically a placeholder until I get the stick designed and integrated.

I just went and double checked. I stand corrected - its "center tub.sldprt". It is very much a placeholder.

JR,

Thanks for the reply.

I saw your comment about GitHub corrupting the download zip file, so used "git" to clone the repository. I don't consider myself a CAD expert by any stretch, but I am smart enough to compare the file names listed as major assemblies in the README.MD file with the contents in the MCAD folder on GitHub and identify that the referenced file was not present.

I do understand the basics of the CAD file relationships and parametric modeling. However, I don't have access to Solid Works, so am trying to import the files into Fusion 360. So far, I have been able to successfully import the ejection seat.

I understand the project is a work-in-progress and some parts may be incomplete. At this point, I am just trying to understand what is what in the project and to see what I can do with what's there at this early stage. My goal is to try to export the cockpit structural elements to be able to take to my CNC.

Appreciate all your hard work and please understanding I'm not complaining, just thought you'd want to know about any issues that turn up.

I just went and double checked. I stand corrected - its "center tub.sldprt". It is very much a placeholder.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals

Glareshields.2019.10.21.PNG

OpenHornet: Now with more glareshields.

Still kicking around mounting and such, but going to be focusing on getting the Upper Instrument Panel build ready first.

I do need some COTS PCBs modelled for this effort, and I'm perfectly okay with COTS components being a STEP. So message me if you would like to take those on!

• 2 weeks later...

What an amazing project, thanks for your efforts jrsteensen!

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

Thanks to randomtroubledmind, we have released the reference model for the F/A-18C cockpit. This is based on a mixture of real dimensions, some serious photogrammetry, and hundreds of hours of additional work. For those of you not wanting to build an OpenHornet, this will let you design your own pit.

https://github.com/jrsteensen/OpenHornet​

Edited by jrsteensen

The link seems to be broken.

I just found this thread and I'm very excited to get to work on building some components. I've been playing around with panels and RSMapper for a while.

Certainly wanting to make this a priority project for myself. If anything tester wise is needed on the fabrication end, let me know, I don't mind making saw dust.

Im not sure on your plan for the switches and dials but I'm currently using bodnar boards for my existing setup.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

The link seems to be broken.

I just found this thread and I'm very excited to get to work on building some components. I've been playing around with panels and RSMapper for a while.

Certainly wanting to make this a priority project for myself. If anything tester wise is needed on the fabrication end, let me know, I don't mind making saw dust.

Im not sure on your plan for the switches and dials but I'm currently using bodnar boards for my existing setup.

Fixed. Electronic layer (custom PCBs and IO solution) are in their final design iterations, - we use a DCS-BIOS and Arduino based solutions. Leo's boards wont do the trick since you need output capabilities as well.

If you have any specific questions, I usually answer our discord channel the quickest.

Just looking at a couple of your models.

Do you plan on fabricating or providing plans for the rudder pedals?

I have MFG's but of course they do not have the proper pedals for the Hornet.

What are you plans for the throttle? Your own design?

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Just looking at a couple of your models.

Do you plan on fabricating or providing plans for the rudder pedals?

I have MFG's but of course they do not have the proper pedals for the Hornet.

What are you plans for the throttle? Your own design?

Nope! We are using the MFGs, with 3d printed pedals we designed. Just print the pedals there, and toss em on your own MFGs!

Throttle is our own design, as contained in our CAD models.