OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

Are the plans or schematics for the tub available? My son & I just finished building a windshield and canopy bow assembly and are itching to build the fuselage. Many thanks!!!

Tower,

I wouldn't yet. Still in design/subject to change as I finish outstanding items and prepare the release packages. That said, the seat is now released, so maybe that would be an excellent starting point. (Again, nobody has built it yet, so would be interested in any feedback as you build.) Sounds like a great father/son project, and I'm looking forward to starting my build with my three boys and daughter.

Thanks!

And how you produce them? Are they available for purchase or maybe some manuals how to create them?

They are not available for purchase - OpenHornet is a noncommercial project for makers. We 3D print them - see our DDI drawing here: https://github.com/jrsteensen/OpenHornet/blob/master/release/2_Upper%20Instrument%20Panel/OH1A3A%20-%20ASSY%2C%20DDI.PDF

The 3D printable files are in that same folder.

Oh man, what a cool thing. https://github.com/jrsteensen/OpenHornet/blob/master/release/2_Upper%20Instrument%20Panel/OH1A3A-11%20-%20DDI%20Button.STL

Don't want to bother you with many questions :)

So then after printing you scratch that vertical line so it could provide back-lighting? And what plastic, 3D printing technology you used? I'll try to find something in my region

Oh man, what a cool thing. https://github.com/jrsteensen/OpenHornet/blob/master/release/2_Upper%20Instrument%20Panel/OH1A3A-11%20-%20DDI%20Button.STL

Don't want to bother you with many questions :)

So then after printing you scratch that vertical line so it could provide back-lighting? And what plastic, 3D printing technology you used? I'll try to find something in my region

Most parts are designed to be printed in PETG on a FDM/FFF printer.

Some people have achieved very good results by using a DLP resin printer for buttons and knobs.

• 1 month later...

Multi-purpose post here:

1) bumping this thread to see what the latest is with this fantastic project... hopefully some updates from the developer or anyone working with the CAD files.

2) question for anyone that is able to answer: has anyone printed out the Wing Fold Mechanism? And if so, anyone have any idea on how it is supposed to function in regards to attaching and wiring up switches/buttons? I have printed all 9 (I think that’s the total number) parts and see how they fit together but trying to figure out how to make it work/wire it up is like a Chinese puzzle to me right now. I feel like there are a few small parts/hardware missing (springs maybe?) from the design in CAD, I’m probably not opening the sldprt/slasdm files properly to see everything due to my inexperience with autodesk fusion.

I’m loving this project so far, I’ve been able to print out the left and right panel faces and made my own boxes for them to attach to for my desk-pit. I’ve also printed out the hook lever and have that working great in sim! Thanks again to the developers for this massive undertaking!

TM Warthog, Oculus Rift, Win10...

• 1 month later...

I know the guys are busy and now with the Virus issues, real life is causing issues for everyone.

I'm sure jrsteensen will drop by with an update as he has time.

Stay safe and healthy out there Guys!

Stang out

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

rHi Everyone

Firstly, I am trying to put together an F-18C cockpit.....

Secondly, , this is quite a long thread and reading all of it to find out what it is all about is not easy...

I appreciate, I am a "little older", and come from a time when technical drawing were written with a 5H pencil, but I am hoping to get plans to help me build the cockpit...

I am sure it is completely obvious to the competant, but I am looking at the github andI am really not sure about exactly what I am looking at!!!! I would like to get plans and dimensions from it, but that does not appear to be that easy!!!

I see a bunch of .pdf files that give exploded views of various parts, but there is little dimensional information on there.

I also see the manufacturing folder. Within that are various files with extensions that obviously mean something to people, like .stl or .dfx for various items, Some display 3D rotating images of the item and some of the files just appear to be a mass of code!!!

Can someone just please explain what this is all about and is it possible to start to build a cockpit from this information? I do appreciate that it is a work in progress.

Thanks for any help that can be passed on....

Edit: I am working back up the thread and I am seeing alot of TLAs... !!!!! May we have a decode please...

CAD - Computer Aided Design

COTS - Commercial Off the Shelf?

CNC -

PETG -

FDM -

FFF -

DLP -

ABSIS -

PET -

PLA -

Edited by Gosling

Gosling,

Shoot me a private message on Discord from our Discord Server. I'm Noctum on there.

https://discord.gg/U4FA3VM

Maybe I can talk you through some of that, with the ulterior motive of being able to start populating our FAQ and New User Guides on our new website that I have in work.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edit: I am working back up the thread and I am seeing alot of TLAs... !!!!! May we have a decode please...

CAD - Computer Aided Design

COTS - Commercial Off the Shelf?

CNC -

PETG -

FDM -

FFF -

DLP -

ABSIS -

PET -

PLA -

CNC - Computer Numerical Control. Usually refers to a computer-controlled machine such as a laser cutter, engraver or mill.

ABS, PETG, PET and PLA are plastics used in filament in home 3D printers.

FDM - Fused Deposition Modeling - A 3D printing technology.

FFF - Fused Filament Fabrication - A 3D printing technology - Most common home technology.

DLP - Digital Light Processing - A 3D printing technology.

• 8 months later...
On 4/28/2020 at 8:13 PM, Stang said:

There is HUGE progress with the Open Hornet Cockpit. When its done, you guy will be blown away!

Stay tuned

Stang out

I've been looking through the various threads considering options and it seems like things are quiet in this thread.  Have there been any updates on OH?  Skimming through the GitHub files, it looks like the project has not progressed much at all in the past year (I'm likely just missing any recent updates).  Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, Entreaken1 said:

I've been looking through the various threads considering options and it seems like things are quiet in this thread.  Have there been any updates on OH?  Skimming through the GitHub files, it looks like the project has not progressed much at all in the past year (I'm likely just missing any recent updates).  Thanks in advance!

Almost all the work is being done on the electrical side now, desiging PCBs and testing them. Mechanical is mostly focused on the control column (40lb springs!) and working on the throttle quadrant.

Edited by TomVR

49 minutes ago, TomVR said:

Almost all the work is being done on the electrical side now, desiging PCBs and testing them. Mechanical is mostly focused on the control column (40lb springs!) and working on the throttle quadrant.

Thanks, TomVR.  I plan on diving through the information on the site and see what is available and pick a point to start attempting to develop a sim pit.  I plan something for VR so my pit can be a little less detailed.  I just wasn't sure of the status on the overall plan since I only saw folders for the upper panel and lower center panel. I maybe missed details on the consoles. 

On 2/24/2021 at 1:58 PM, Entreaken1 said:

Thanks, TomVR.  I plan on diving through the information on the site and see what is available and pick a point to start attempting to develop a sim pit.  I plan something for VR so my pit can be a little less detailed.  I just wasn't sure of the status on the overall plan since I only saw folders for the upper panel and lower center panel. I maybe missed details on the consoles. 

Pretty much the entire mechanical design is done (though still being refined as people are building pits, for example the seat is being redesigned for improved comfort right now)

So we are integrating backlighting right now, and is the core of the focus right now. That mandated quite a bit of electronics redesign, and some MCAD redesign to facilitate it.

We are holding up doing any of the drawings or manufacturing files until that is integrated and things stabilize a bit. We have had *massive* strides this year on the project. We are currently targeting a June beta release for the OH project, but as always, subject to change since we all have day jobs and this is a spare time project for everyone who is contributing to the development.

I should note that this thread is not the primary source of updates any more - our discord server is.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 4:57 AM, jrsteensen said:

21 inches (~533.4mm) from between L console to R console where the seat mounts.

I assume that is the distance in this part?

image.png

As I am searching the distance between the front for scaling the 3D world in VR. By simply cutting correct size stick and then "feeling" the scale to visual.

image.png

I have seen that same 21" measurement elsewhere, but I assume it is through the whole seat position up to the front, outer edges of both DDI?

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.