OpenHornet F/A-18C 1:1 SimPit (WIP)

jrsteensen

Now the Hornet is out and a DCS BIOS lib for the Hornet is out too, i expect this to progress much faster.

Would I be wrong?

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

Now the Hornet is out and a DCS BIOS lib for the Hornet is out too, i expect this to progress much faster.

Would I be wrong?

We continue to target a Q4 release, though ultimately it will be released when we as a team are comfortable with the quality of the TDP.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

We continue to target a Q4 release, though ultimately it will be released when we as a team are comfortable with the quality of the TDP.

Awesome :)

Proud owner of DCS: FC3, A-10C Warthog, F-14A/B Tomcat, F-5E Tiger, Mig21bis Fishbed, Mirage 2000C, Nevada Test Site, Normandy, Ka-50 Black Shark, Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle, Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst, FW 190 D-9 Dora, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-51D Mustang Combined Arms, Hawk T.1A, L-39 Albatros, NS 430 Nav System, F-86F Sabre, MiG-15bis, AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL, F/A-18C Hornet, Yak-52 and the mighty AJS-37 Viggen! :music_whistling:

We actually have a ton of moving parts at the moment, and making some good headway. L/R Essential Circuit Breakers and Canopy switch box are complete. I am starting work on structure in earnest, and RandomTroubledMind is making a push on flight controls. The current plan is a totally custom throttle, with servo driven autothrottle. Stick will have a longitudinal control servo, and will use the upcoming TM grip. I'm also excited to say we will be using the MFG Crosswinds with a custom pedal for rudders, and we have been talking to Milan at MFG about how to integrate them into our pit. Unfortunately, I'll be out of pocket on Reserve duty for most the month of July.

I'm not sure what you are asking about for VR? This is a physical/real world item.

As you state that

"this will NOT be a 100% accurate representation of the F/A-18C. We expect to capture 98% of the functionality of the real bird, and very, very similar visuals"

I'm wondering whether these differences will prevent immersive VR use, i.e. reaching out and actuating the VR switch will not cause me to miss the physical switch when properly aligned.

(of course, this is contingent on hand/finger tracking without holding a controller in the hand, but the next generation VR is expected to have that)

As you state that

"this will NOT be a 100% accurate representation of the F/A-18C. We expect to capture 98% of the functionality of the real bird, and very, very similar visuals"

I'm wondering whether these differences will prevent immersive VR use, i.e. reaching out and actuating the VR switch will not cause me to miss the physical switch when properly aligned.

(of course, this is contingent on hand/finger tracking without holding a controller in the hand, but the next generation VR is expected to have that)

The DCS pit is not dimensionally accurate, so no, real switch position will not correlate to in game switch position.

The DCS pit is not dimensionally accurate, so no, real switch position will not correlate to in game switch position.

A VR user using an appropriate in-game "Forced IPD" corrects for this.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

So just wanted to post a couple WIP renders of the in-progress left console.

Basically, the main structure is made from a combo of .75 and .25 MDF, while the console faces/rails are printed out of PET. This should give an extremely durable console, though I wouldn't suggest stepping on your consoles.

L_CONSOLE_WIP1_20180610.thumb.jpg.c02ab1fe161c001245395c2c02491632.jpgL_CONSOLE_WIP2_20180610.thumb.jpg.34c91a0c50e603dbc16530cac7ffc1c7.jpg

That throttle is making me super excited!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

That throttle is making me super excited!
Thanks! I have some more work to do on it, but Deadman let me know about a real inboard throttle grip on eBay so we snagged that. Should be able to extrapolate the outboard throttle grip pretty easily once we have the inboard modelled.

Looking sweet!

Could you give approximate footprint dimensions for the full pit (or just the console) as currently envisioned?

Thank you! I'll grab it in the morning, as I dont recall it off the top of my head, but significantly less than you would expect. (I remember being pleasantly surprised last time I looked.)

Ouch, engineering project in imperial system.

That will stop anyone not in US from using your plans, as you can't simply recalculate dimmensions...

I appreciate your concern, but as the entire core development team is designing this in the US, imperial units were specified mostly due to metric materials being prohibitively expensive.

But the beauty of it being an Open Source project (once released) is anyone can contribute to the project to tailor it to their needs/desires.

imperial units were specified mostly due to metric materials being prohibitively expensive.

And you can't buy 0.75 MDF in Europe... There is no easy way around the problem, someone will have to redraw the plans.

Don't want to sound negative, I appreciate your work, especially as it's open source.

Most CAD packages can switch between metric and imperial fairly easily.

If only it was that simple, you can't buy 19.05mm MDF so you will have to redesign all elements to accomodate for 18mm panels. 1mm doesn't sound much but it adds up with every element.

And you can't buy 0.75 MDF in Europe... There is no easy way around the problem, someone will have to redraw the plans.

Don't want to sound negative, I appreciate your work, especially as it's open source.

If only it was that simple, you can't buy 19.05mm MDF so you will have to redesign all elements to accomodate for 18mm panels. 1mm doesn't sound much but it adds up with every element.

You are correct. It won't be easy. Perhaps we can add a team to do the metric conversion, but first. Let's get this done.

19mm plywood?

I found multiple local (Swedish) sources of 19mm and 6mm mdf, as 2440×1220mm (8'-and-a-tiny-bit by 4'-and-a-tinier-bit) sheets. Hopefully the last .05mm won't be too much of a problem on the thicker grade :-) .

Am I correct in that the .25" grade is used as cladding only and thus would work acceptably as .236" as well?

Edited by aniron

I found multiple local (Swedish) sources of 19mm and 6mm mdf, as 2440×1220mm (8'-and-a-tiny-bit by 4'-and-a-tinier-bit) sheets. Hopefully the last .05mm won't be too much of a problem on the thicker grade :-) .

Am I correct in that the .25" grade is used as cladding only and thus would work acceptably as .236" as well?

As of now, yes. That may change as the structure evolves.

I am trying to figure out how to redesign the AUX consoles - they are a couple inches outside the print envelope and I didn't catch that initially.

Your statements are based on assumptions of his design. I have not seen any yet and i would like to ask if this pit is using tongue and groove connection as in the AB cockpit construction. in this method the thickness of the plywood is critical as it is used as the tongue and sets the width of the drawn groove cut in to the next piece of connecting wood.

IF jrsteensen uses a method more like my design for the A-10 Cockpit it negates the need for critical nominal dimensions of the material used. Placement of the parts is base on measurement from known points of the base.

From the picture of the consoles posted i don't see any real problems arising from dimensions or material Imperial/ Metric

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.