Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

Oh men! I just received this force sensing mod. This is f*** precise! After first run it was a bit off center but after running TM calibration tool as said in manual it's just perfect.

Somebody earlier said that original slew was 8-bit (256 possible positions). I'm not sure of that as I see it in DIView (raw value) as 10-bit (1024 possible positions). In theory it might depend on Throttle production time (mine is s/n #26413). Or DIView might report something strange. I don't know. What I know is now I'm able to do very fine adjustments using slew control.

So... it looks like bye, bye to the Cougar throttle. At least for some time.

Deltaalphalima1 you did a great job! Thanks man!

Now a question. What's the best button to use as additional mod? I like how and where @Thermal mounted his push button but I don't like the button itself (with the led, etc.). What would you recommend? Preferably not very expensive. ;)

Oh men! I just received this force sensing mod. This is f*** precise! After first run it was a bit off center but after running TM calibration tool as said in manual it's just perfect.

Somebody earlier said that original slew was 8-bit (256 possible positions). I'm not sure of that as I see it in DIView (raw value) as 10-bit (1024 possible positions). In theory it might depend on Throttle production time (mine is s/n #26413). Or DIView might report something strange. I don't know. What I know is now I'm able to do very fine adjustments using slew control.

So... it looks like bye, bye to the Cougar throttle. At least for some time.

Deltaalphalima1 you did a great job! Thanks man!

Thank you! Glad you like it :thumbup:

To clear up the resolution thing, as a few people have mentioned it:

It is an 8 bit interface, that’s a limitation of the throttle unfortunately. I’m actually reading the sensor position at 10 bit (at nearly 10kHz :)) but I then have to down-scale to transmit to the throttle at 8 bit ~ 10Hz over I2C.

It might only be 8 bit, but I am actually using all of it, unlike the original sensor. That only used around 20 positions, so was really more like 4 bit over an 8 bit interface. Whereas I’m using all 256 values.

I'm by no means an expert on directX, or USB HID, but I think it's very common to up-scale joystick readings for various software reasons, but you don’t get any more precision. Just larger jumps in readings.

I don't have any switch suggestions, I’ve not put one into my throttle (yet!). I might buy a few nice looking switches and try and recommend something.

Happy :joystick:

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

I'm by no means an expert on directX, or USB HID, but I think it's very common to up-scale joystick readings for various software reasons, but you don’t get any more precision. J

Warthog is an example, is advertised as 16 bits - but the sensor in the X,Y axis is not 16 bits. :D

Another endorsement of Deltaalphalima1's slew upgrade. Thanks to the clear instructions, I was able to complete the modification in 25 minutes with no drama! The hardware is precise and exudes quality. This upgrade really put the Warthog throttle in a new league. Tank busting is a breeze now!

By popular demand I am pleased to anounce that slew hats are now available in black!!

Please specify when you send payment which one you want, there is no change in cost in the two colours.

I have attached a few pictures of the two side by side, as well as with the existing throttle switches so you can make up your mind.

They don't come across that well on camera, so as always colours and shades may vary :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=183121&stc=1&d=1524599464

IMG_20180424_204206.thumb.jpg.81f6341bbdcd229cf26e94bb2d68e456.jpg

IMG_20180424_204146.thumb.jpg.6092d6b66b111ce5ac9cdcff66cd0f5b.jpg

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

Thank you to everyone who has messaged me about the second batch. All 10 have now been reserved :thumbup: The PCBs were shipped to me yesterday, I should have them by the end of next week and will be able to ship them all soon after that.

This week I have been working on a prototype for a mini thumbstick mount for the warthog throttle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=183433&stc=1&d=1524912769

This is using the ALPS RKJXV1224005 joystick. The same as is used in the Dualshock 4 and Xbox 1 controllers, so there should be no more supply issues compared to the force sensors :)

First prototype fits well, just a few tweaks to dimensions, and I think I’ll be happy. I’m planning to 3D print the hats for this as well. I'm just using an old Xbox 1 thumbstick for tests.

attachment.php?attachmentid=183435&stc=1&d=1524912769

The plan is to mount the PCB and all circuitry to the back of the sensor, so there won't be a separate adapter board, which will make installation slightly easier. Price point on these will still be around £40 including worldwide shipping, so should be allot more affordable for everyone.

IMG_20180428_113806.thumb.jpg.0313e1fab05b37388a9e74ab7d6392de.jpg

IMG_20180428_113626.thumb.jpg.fdec6e489284baac21b7040097f8dbe8.jpg

IMG_20180428_113640.thumb.jpg.4e0c52818dcba836b795dcc1442b0af3.jpg

Looks great, is there any specific reason you went for the Dual Shock 4 version of the thumbstick controller with pots instead of the Dual Shock 3 version with Hall Sensors? The availability of both version shouldn’t be an issue as plenty of sellers have them on their ebay / aliexpress stores.

Looks great, is there any specific reason you went for the Dual Shock 4 version of the thumbstick controller with pots instead of the Dual Shock 3 version with Hall Sensors? The availability of both version shouldn’t be an issue as plenty of sellers have them on their ebay / aliexpress stores.

There are a couple of reasons - I have tested both and the newer version with pots is much easier to use overall. The Hall sensors just outputs raw analog, at about +-5mV running of 5V in my tests. This means it needs amplification and potentialy some software filtering to be useable, all of which would increase complexity and cost. The pots wouldn’t need any of that, just direct connection to my microcontroller.

The DS4 version is also physically smaller, which makes it easier to fit into the throttle. DS4 on the left for size comparision.

attachment.php?attachmentid=183443&stc=1&d=1524923868

Lastly I can easily get the DS4 version from my normal electronics supplier in the UK (RS components). I'm sceptical if the Hall effects I got from eBay are the real deal, I would rather trust a genuine part with pots over a fake with Hall sensors. I’ve never owned a DS3 controller so I can’t say about long term reliability on them, but my DS4 is still doing fantastic after a few years heavy use.

1317710314_IMG_20180428_1453271.thumb.jpg.7c15a4ef33878dc9a85f750b7778e6b7.jpg

Second Batch is all reserved already, according to a few posts earlier :shocking:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Well that feels like a waste of my weekend (it wasn't, I learned a lot and now have most of the work done for the revised version), but I finally got round to designing a mount for a thumbstick. After multiple prints and a bit of frustration editing the wrong sketch, I assemble it all and it fits near enough perfectly without any destructive modding of the throttle handle.

Before wiring it up, I decide to check the thread; only to notice that the thumbstick everyone else is posting is smaller than mine (I was using an arduino thumbstick I had lying around, I assumed it was the same).

"Oh well at least I've got mine done now and it's sure to help someone else out" I say. So I get to wiring it all up, put it all together, run the calibration and go to test it out.

Not working.... or at least it's not working properly. In one direction it maxes out before the full throw, in the other it rolls over to the opposite side of the axis. I recalibrate again hoping it'll solve the problem.... still no luck.

Scratching my head, I wonder if I've wired it wrong, so I fish out the board it was originally mounted on to take a look......

5V

I assume this is the problem since the pinout Deltaalphalima1 provided says 3.3V.

Gonna order the proper one now. Will edit the design and post files when I get it.

LVxyrSf.jpg

23N9mwz.jpg

Still need to design a hat though.

Those are some good looking 3D models you got there! I like the idea of supporting in at the back with the pillar thing.

It should still work at 3.3V, do you mind posting some pictures of your connection setup? I should be able to check it over and give you an hand with it.

I'll post the pictures later when I get home. X and Y went to the center pins on the pots, Vin and GND went to the outer pins (traced from the breakout board it was on orginally) on the X pot and were linked across to the respective pins on the Y pot.

Okay, sorry for not getting back. The problem by the looks of it was that I'd cooked the pots soldering and heat shrinking them.

In any case I've finished modelling the holder for the smaller sized replacement and it fits very snugly now. Keep in mind that adjustments were made based on my printer and its shrinkage; I've included links to the 360 files in case anyone needs to make their own adjustments.

Just edit the first sketch, the dimensions for the collar diameter, the body width and the pot width should be at the top of it in the view. They are d1, d2 and d4 if that's useful to anyone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukgw424v23p8a6j/Slew%202%20elbow%20v4.stl?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpw51ct2qkalyep/Slew%20version%202%20v6.stl?dl=0

Fusion360:

https://a360.co/2HRSS7M

https://a360.co/2JRIj11

My parts were printed in 0.2 PLA+ 205/70 with supports and fit tight.

Still need to model the hat though.

The problem I have now is that when I move either axis to the limit of one side of its arc (past 0 according to raw data), it flips out and starts bouncing back and forth. Towards the other end is completely fine though.

Vin and GND are connected to the outside pins on both pots with the axis connected to the centre pin.

Edited by 98abaile

Okay, sorry for not getting back. The problem by the looks of it was that I'd cooked the pots soldering and heat shrinking them.

In any case I've finished modelling the holder for the smaller sized replacement and it fits very snugly now. Keep in mind that adjustments were made based on my printer and its shrinkage; I've included links to the 360 files in case anyone needs to make their own adjustments.

Just edit the first sketch, the dimensions for the collar diameter, the body width and the pot width should be at the top of it in the view. They are d1, d2 and d4 if that's useful to anyone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukgw424v23p8a6j/Slew%202%20elbow%20v4.stl?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpw51ct2qkalyep/Slew%20version%202%20v6.stl?dl=0

Fusion360:

https://a360.co/2HRSS7M

https://a360.co/2JRIj11

My parts were printed in 0.2 PLA+ 205/70 with supports and fit tight.

Still need to model the hat though.

The problem I have now is that when I move either axis to the limit of one side of its arc (past 0 according to raw data), it flips out and starts bouncing back and forth. Towards the other end is completely fine though.

Vin and GND are connected to the outside pins on both pots with the axis connected to the centre pin.

Not sure how you're set up, tool-wise, but definitely get a Chemtronics liquid flux pen. That'll make the heat transfer quicker so you don't overheat things. For even more protection, a Weller WES51 set at about 690 degrees F, Kester 63/37 solder, and a Steinel HL2010 heat gun set at 400 degrees F for the heat shrink will take the component damage possibility out of the equation for your project.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Do you think I've cooked the replacement stick as well?

Are you able to clip a DMM on your pots and monitor the resistance through their range of operation?

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Are you able to clip a DMM on your pots and monitor the resistance through their range of operation?

It'll have to wait until Monday then. I have a second one spare but I'd rather test that first before I go soldering things again (apparently I don't have the knack for it).

Do you think I've cooked the replacement stick as well?

Checking with a multimeter is the only way to know for sure, but it sounds to me like you are just going "over the end" of the range of the potentiometer in one direction. This would explain the erratic readings on the extreme end.

Some sticks I’ve tested do this. The best thing to do is to reduce the amount of movement so the stick doesn’t go completely to its end stop. On the Dualshock 4 for example, the thumbstick "hat" hits the plastic case before the sensor reaches its full deflection, to prevent this exact problem.

Hope that helps :)

So I've been hard at work this weekend getting this batch done. I'll be getting everything in the post this week for everyone who has pre-ordered.

Thanks guys!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=183976&stc=1&d=1525620261

attachment.php?attachmentid=183975&stc=1&d=1525620154

IMG_20180506_130354.thumb.jpg.2e0f3f8a68368128fae2ce55b497cf2e.jpg

IMG_20180505_222613.thumb.jpg.fa55c43e30fd7f1d869c31d8039de0f3.jpg