Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

16 hours ago, CoolSpy said:

Thanks for your quick answer. Actually, I successfully connected the original slew back in place and after calibration, it works fine. After further inspection, the blue wire from your deltasim slew upgrade does not look in perfect shape: is that the one linked to the slew X/Y axis by chance ? I guess I may have to replace the 5 wires connector (which is not bad compared to a full PCB replacement lol).

Do you know the name and type of these cables please so I can buy a new one ? (24AWG and name etc...)
I found similar cables with the name JST 5P ... don't know if it's any good... but no luck so far to find some with reasonable delays (all are from China in bulks)

It is a simple question, but a surprisingly complicated answer!

For reference: The connectors are 5 pin 1.25mm pitch. The original brand name is Molex PicoBlade, although they are now available from many Chinese sellers under various names including 'MX1.25' and confusingly 'micro jst 1.25mm', even though they are not actual JST connectors.

I'm am always happy to send a replacement cable if someone needs one, we have lots 🙂

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

• 2 months later...

Just getting into DCS and learning the F-16.  Received my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog set last week and after a couple of days trying to learn the RDR slew, I've figure out that the stock x/y slew is not registering in Windows or TARGET.  At 1st I though I just didn't know what I was doing, but, I guess my slew was bad out of the box.  

Found your upgrade when searching for possible fixes for the stock slew.  Before I order, is there anyway I can check the stock one?  I'd hate to order one of your slews only to find out that the PCB in the throttle is bricked.

I do have a ticket with Thrustmaster.  Waiting on a response. 

If I can get it fixed through Thrustmaster, I'll still order one of your upgrades as the stock one seems difficult to manipulate. Just hesitant right now until I figure out why the stock one isn't working.

Edited by loner6.5G

33 minutes ago, loner6.5G said:

Just getting into DCS and learning the F-16.  Received my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog set last week and after a couple of days trying to learn the RDR slew, I've figure out that the stock x/y slew is not registering in Windows or TARGET.  At 1st I though I just didn't know what I was doing, but, I guess my slew was bad out of the box. 

Just on the off chance but you are checking the slew under axis settings in DCS?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

22 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Just on the off chance but you are checking the slew under axis settings in DCS?

Yes, it's set up as the throttle x and y axis in DCS.

In TARGET and Windows, all other buttons and axis register.  Just the throttle button 1 slew does nothing.  No movement detected in windows device settings or TARGET.

ETA: In order to keep the thread on track, just ordered the slew upgrade.  Will try that as the 1st fix.  If it doesn't work, I'll know that its probably the PCB in the throttle that's bad.

Edited by loner6.5G

18 hours ago, loner6.5G said:

Yes, it's set up as the throttle x and y axis in DCS.

In TARGET and Windows, all other buttons and axis register.  Just the throttle button 1 slew does nothing.  No movement detected in windows device settings or TARGET.

ETA: In order to keep the thread on track, just ordered the slew upgrade.  Will try that as the 1st fix.  If it doesn't work, I'll know that its probably the PCB in the throttle that's bad.

If it's not working in windows device settings then it will be something hardware related, but as you say it's not really possible to tell if it’s the slew or something else in the throttle without a new slew to compare to.
Thank you for your order, let me know how you get on with the new sensor!

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

Bought the Delta mod! After a couple of year using the Warthog, I never checked if there was anything available to make easier targetting with the slewing sensor. After reading and warching couple of reviews my decision was made. Can't wait to get it already! Best Regards!

• Like 1

Bought the Delta mod! After a couple of year using the Warthog, I never checked if there was anything available to make easier targetting with the slewing sensor. After reading and warching couple of reviews my decision was made. Can't wait to get it already! Best Regards!
It will be worth the wait. First thing I did when I decided on a Warthog, was to order this one due to the great reviews!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I fitted the TM Warthog analog thumb stick. I followed the instructions and calibrated the new thumb stick. However, in DCS Axis controls or the PC USB Game Controllers, the throttles are registering as either on or off when manipulated. There is no gradual increase/sliding on the power, its either full or off.

Any idea what has happened?

Thanks

5 hours ago, Rabies said:

Today I fitted the TM Warthog analog thumb stick. I followed the instructions and calibrated the new thumb stick. However, in DCS Axis controls or the PC USB Game Controllers, the throttles are registering as either on or off when manipulated. There is no gradual increase/sliding on the power, its either full or off.

Any idea what has happened?

Thanks

That is usually when something has gone wrong during the calibration, please try running the calibration tool again as below:

1: Download the latest version for the calibration tool from my website (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0011/5602/2282/files/Thumbstick_Sensor_Calibration_Tool.zip?11593063595637542780)

Make sure you have extracted the zip file after downloading. The "A10_calibration.txt" file must be in the same folder "Throttle Warthog Calibration (V1.07).exe" is run from.

2: Run the calibration tool and carefully follow the on-screen instructions. It should run through all the way through with no error messages.

Be careful to move the both the throttles to the OFF, IDLE and MAX positions when asked.

OFF is the fully back position over the detent lifts, IDLE is the next stop up or the minimum flight setting, and MAX is fully forward and over any afterburner lift.

If you have any custom afterburner detents installed, you may need to temporarily remove them for the calibration.

Hopefully that will get you working again.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Deltaalphalima1 said:

That is usually when something has gone wrong during the calibration, please try running the calibration tool again as below:

1: Download the latest version for the calibration tool from my website (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0011/5602/2282/files/Thumbstick_Sensor_Calibration_Tool.zip?11593063595637542780)

Make sure you have extracted the zip file after downloading. The "A10_calibration.txt" file must be in the same folder "Throttle Warthog Calibration (V1.07).exe" is run from.

2: Run the calibration tool and carefully follow the on-screen instructions. It should run through all the way through with no error messages.

Be careful to move the both the throttles to the OFF, IDLE and MAX positions when asked.

OFF is the fully back position over the detent lifts, IDLE is the next stop up or the minimum flight setting, and MAX is fully forward and over any afterburner lift.

If you have any custom afterburner detents installed, you may need to temporarily remove them for the calibration.

Hopefully that will get you working again.

Fixed. I hadn't been unzipping it correctly. Thanks for your help.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would like to start by saluting the work of #Deltaalphalima1.

I watched the https://www.instructables.com/Thrustmaster-Warthog-Slew-Sensor-I2C-Upgrade/ tutorial. I'm trying to understand the I2C exchanges between the master throttle and the slave mini-joystick. I loaded the Arduino code from the slave and am currently testing it with a joystick salvaged from an old gamepad on an Atmega8 and an Arduino board as the master.

It seems to me that the code provided for the slave simulating the I2C joystick is not complete. Would it be possible to have it complete? I look at the code made by Mike Hord from Sparkfun for the easypoint digital joystick and I think that there must indeed be a part missing from your code for the analog joystick.

Edited by Hantayo

12 hours ago, Hantayo said:

Hi,

I would like to start by saluting the work of #Deltaalphalima1.

I watched the https://www.instructables.com/Thrustmaster-Warthog-Slew-Sensor-I2C-Upgrade/ tutorial. I'm trying to understand the I2C exchanges between the master throttle and the slave mini-joystick. I loaded the Arduino code from the slave and am currently testing it with a joystick salvaged from an old gamepad on an Atmega8 and an Arduino board as the master.

It seems to me that the code provided for the slave simulating the I2C joystick is not complete. Would it be possible to have it complete? I look at the code made by Mike Hord from Sparkfun for the easypoint digital joystick and I think that there must indeed be a part missing from your code for the analog joystick.

I’m glad to hear people are still finding it useful!

It’s been a while so I might not remember exactly - but the code on the Instructables should be complete. That is the Arduino version of the code that runs on all the slew sensors I make.

What do you think is missing?

It's when I look at the code for the Easypoint digital joystick and the number of pages it is, even without the comments, especially the whole part on the calibration of the joystick. Also in your comments on instructables in trades between master and slave. What I don't see appearing in the arduino code. This one seems a lot simpler to me than master-slave trading might make you think. There is no reference to the joystick push button.

I'm not an expert in arduino programming, I don't master bit manipulation in avr-c but I just understand the meaning of the code.

EasyPoint_Demo.ino

Edited by Hantayo

1 hour ago, Hantayo said:

It's when I look at the code for the Easypoint digital joystick and the number of pages it is, even without the comments, especially the whole part on the calibration of the joystick. Also in your comments on instructables in trades between master and slave. What I don't see appearing in the arduino code. This one seems a lot simpler to me than master-slave trading might make you think. There is no reference to the joystick push button.

I'm not an expert in arduino programming, I don't master bit manipulation in avr-c but I just understand the meaning of the code.

EasyPoint_Demo.ino 13.6 kB · 1 download

I don’t know why the Sparkfun code is so complicated – I guess they have just made is as versatile as possible so it can be used in many situations – my code just simulates the one config Thrustmaster have used so it doesn’t need the extra complexity.

All the basic calibration and scaling is done in the two first lines in void loop, you might want to add something more complex, but it isn’t needed to get it working.

The pushbutton isn’t handled over i2c, it’s just connected to a pin, so the slave Arduino doesn’t need to do anythign with it.

Attached is the code I use to simulate the throttle and test the units I sell as the master.

It’s a bit messy but if load that onto one Arduino, and the Instructables code onto another, they will talk over I2C just like the sensor and throttle – and the master will report the sensor values over serial.

tester.ino

thanks for the 'tester' code.

I tested it with code F5Z9HOJJD4UNJ65.ino from your Instructables. And I still have a few questions.

I connected the joystick outputs to A0 and A1 (23 and 24) of the Atmega8 and placed two 4.7kOhm pullup resistors on SDA(A5) and SCL(A4).

In the serial console, I always have -15 displayed for x and y, regardless of the variations on the potentiometers. And even disconnecting the wires.

I had noticed that the slave code didn't compile because you had to add 'int numBytes' for example for the receiveEvent function. Moreover, I had no display in the serial console of the values x_pos and y_pos, whereas for temp_x and temp_y yes (by adding Serial.print here and there).

I don't understand tests 1, 3 and 4. According to what I read, the displayed result is necessarily 'PASS', since this is what is asked to write on the serial console, after writing on the I2C bus, whether writing takes place or not. In the code, I ran test 2 after test 3 and 4 to verify by unplugging the SDA and SCL cables. And we still get 'PASS' for tests 1, 3 and 4.

I hope you don't get bored with all those programming questions on the DCS forum.

Edited by Hantayo

12 hours ago, Hantayo said:

thanks for the 'tester' code.

I tested it with code F5Z9HOJJD4UNJ65.ino from your Instructables. And I still have a few questions.

I connected the joystick outputs to A0 and A1 (23 and 24) of the Atmega8 and placed two 4.7kOhm pullup resistors on SDA(A5) and SCL(A4).

In the serial console, I always have -15 displayed for x and y, regardless of the variations on the potentiometers. And even disconnecting the wires.

I had noticed that the slave code didn't compile because you had to add 'int numBytes' for example for the receiveEvent function. Moreover, I had no display in the serial console of the values x_pos and y_pos, whereas for temp_x and temp_y yes (by adding Serial.print here and there).

I don't understand tests 1, 3 and 4. According to what I read, the displayed result is necessarily 'PASS', since this is what is asked to write on the serial console, after writing on the I2C bus, whether writing takes place or not. In the code, I ran test 2 after test 3 and 4 to verify by unplugging the SDA and SCL cables. And we still get 'PASS' for tests 1, 3 and 4.

I hope you don't get bored with all those programming questions on the DCS forum.

With two Arduino Uno boards, both programs should compile as is. I just tested and everything works as it should for me.

Can you send me a PM or email with a picture of your setup?

I am using minicore under the arduino ide for the atmega8.  For compilation, an int must be added to the function void receiveEvent(int)

The reason why MiniCore treats this differently than the official core is that MiniCore does not use the -fpermissive flag.

From the avr-gcc manual:

-fpermissive
Downgrade some diagnostics about nonconformant code from errors to warnings. Thus, using -fpermissive will allow some nonconforming code to compile.

IIRC the -fpermissive flag was added by an accident in the official Arduino core (or for testing), and now it's too late to remove it. -fpermissive will mute code that's not right, but may still compile. I've decided to leave out this flag for all my cores, You got an error? Fix your broken code!

I send you the photo of my setup in PM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The spring on my original nub has died so wasn't recentring correctly. Ordered so looking forward to receiving and fitting 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Stick arrived today, hopefully get it fitted and tested tonight.  It's super well made, really impressive @Deltaalphalima1 🙂

edit: installed and calibrated without a hassle, in use it's night and day better than the original 100% recommended!

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hey @Deltaalphalima1I just sent an email but thought I'd post here as well. My slew was working great for about 6 months but has been getting increasingly bad Y axis drift despite frequent recalibration. Today the Y axis gave up altogether - no response at all. Is there somewhere I could look on the hardware side, or would I be up for a new cable/unit? cheers mate

*edit* thanks for the email response, all good.

Edited by ruprecht

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have received the slew sensor upgrade to my Warthof throttle and I have managed to install it. The slew sensor works fine but I have realised that the engine cutoff button comes on when I move the throttle to idle. If I go through the detent nothing happens but when I go to normal idle position the buttons lit up in the Windows game controller properties page and in DCS too. So when I fly with any plane and I go to idle the engins are shutting down. Can it have any relation to the slew sensor upgrade? 

Thanks for any help!

15 hours ago, ig002 said:

Hi,

I have received the slew sensor upgrade to my Warthof throttle and I have managed to install it. The slew sensor works fine but I have realised that the engine cutoff button comes on when I move the throttle to idle. If I go through the detent nothing happens but when I go to normal idle position the buttons lit up in the Windows game controller properties page and in DCS too. So when I fly with any plane and I go to idle the engins are shutting down. Can it have any relation to the slew sensor upgrade? 

Thanks for any help!

Hi,

Problem solved. I got a very fast response from support. I paste it here in case someone needs it:

"

That problem is usually caused by something going wrong during the calibration.

I would recommend trying to calibrate the throttle again using the tool downloaded from my website. But be very careful to move the throttles to the OFF, IDLE and MAX positions when asked.
Off is the fully back position over the detent lifts, IDLE is the next stop up or the minimum flight setting, and Max is the fully forward position over any afterburner detents.

If you have any custom detents or afterburner lifts installed, you might need to remove them temporarily for the calibration."

i had a question about slew upgrade. i did it and it works great. easy to do also. so my question; is there such a thing a longer stick for the slew? thinking, just as extensions do for joysticks, and extension on the slew stick would mean more precise movements. i thought about 3d printing one. thoughts?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain