Yet another warthog slew upgrade

Deltaalphalima1

No reason why it couldn't be done although the throw of the deltasim stick is far higher than the stick nipple so you can easily achieve far more accuracy straight off 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 7/18/2022 at 4:19 PM, silverdevil said:

i had a question about slew upgrade. i did it and it works great. easy to do also. so my question; is there such a thing a longer stick for the slew? thinking, just as extensions do for joysticks, and extension on the slew stick would mean more precise movements. i thought about 3d printing one. thoughts?

I haven’t tried a longer one so I’m not sure how that would be, but I do have a design for a shorter version. STL is attached for short version, and the standard version.

The issue with 3D printing is getting the tolerance right so it fits onto the sensor shaft properly - if you have a 3d printer it’s easier, but with shapeways or a similar service it can be hit and miss with their tolerances.

ALPSHat V5.stl ALPSHat small v5.stl

• Thanks 1

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

www.deltasimelectronics.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 7:25 AM, Tobur said:

Any tips on adjusting the curve settings for this? 

I would say start with no curves set, and test it out in game with small control movements.
If you feel like you don’t have enough fine control, increase the curve maybe 5 points at time, and retest until it feels better.
Once the curve is set, test at maximum deflection and see how the top speed feels. If you want it slower, adjust down the saturation in the same way - but I would usually stick to 100% saturation for the best movement speed.
You shouldn’t need any deadzone set, I would only recommend that if you experience any drift, which you shouldn’t with a new and properly calibrated sensor.

I use around 10 - 20 on curve and 100% saturation but it really depends on your personal preference. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Specs: i7 7700K delid @ 4.8GHZ, MSI Gaming X GTX1080, ASUS Strix Z270G, 32GB Corsair LPX @ 3000MHz, Noctua NH-U12S, EVGA 750 P2, Fractal Define Mini C

Hardware: Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswinds(4757) , Custom Helicopter Collective

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Since we started making our slew upgrade, one thing that has come up several times is the limited axis update rate for the slew axis. It doesn’t update as quickly as the other throttle axes, which has meant that even after upgrading the physical slew the axis still doesn’t work as well as it could.

This was a limitation inside the throttle firmware, so couldn’t be changed by the slew upgrade directly. Other the last few months I have been working on reverse engineering the Warthog throttle firmware, so I could modify it to increase the slew axis speed.

I am pleased to announce our first custom Warthog throttle firmware version, which removes this limitation and runs the slew axis at full speed!

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.tmf is released free of charge, and is compatible with all our slew upgrades, including the force sensor.

Please find the firmware file and install instructions attached for download.

You will need the Thrustmaster firmware update tool installed to do the update. This comes with the Thrustmaster Warthog driver package, so you probably have it installed already, or it can be downloaded from the Thrustmaster website.

This has been a lot of work, so I hope it will be useful to someone 🙂

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.zip

• Like 9
  • Thanks 16

33 minutes ago, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Hello everyone!

Since we started making our slew upgrade, one thing that has come up several times is the limited axis update rate for the slew axis. It doesn’t update as quickly as the other throttle axes, which has meant that even after upgrading the physical slew the axis still doesn’t work as well as it could.

This was a limitation inside the throttle firmware, so couldn’t be changed by the slew upgrade directly. Other the last few months I have been working on reverse engineering the Warthog throttle firmware, so I could modify it to increase the slew axis speed.

I am pleased to announce our first custom Warthog throttle firmware version, which removes this limitation and runs the slew axis at full speed!

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.tmf is released free of charge, and is compatible with all our slew upgrades, including the force sensor.

You will need the Thrustmaster firmware update tool installed to do the update. This comes with the Thrustmaster Warthog driver package, so you probably have it installed already, or it can be downloaded from the Thrustmaster website.

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.zip 6.61 kB · 0 downloads

Ooh this looks awesome. I dident even notice it dident run at full speed. I will have to download this and try later today!

• Like 1

Forgive me for being thick! But how would this manifest in DCS?  Does it increase the maximum slew speed or simply the update rate which I pesume could give smoother slewing? 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

See I've noticed some juddering when slewing but I think that's actually reprojection ghosting from openxr as it doesn't happen all the time, moreso when the TGP is zoomed right in on highly detailed areas.  I'll have a play with it 🙂

• Like 1

I tend to fly the older aircraft and use the slew to move the mouse pointer around in VR (using Joy2Key). It works really well as a mini trackball and much more convenient.

I have applied the firmware and it feels more precise.

In combination with using the CMS hat on my stick for right and left mouse buttons and mouse wheel it means I can control all mouse functions using just the HOTAS.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

21 hours ago, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Hello everyone!

Delta_Sim_Fast_Slew_v100.zip 6.61 kB · 60 downloads

Does this update work on a default WH throttle? Never done such a firmware update.

1 hour ago, Sawamura said:

Does this update work on a default WH throttle? Never done such a firmware update.

It should work on any throttle, but there probably isn’t much advantage doing it if you haven’t also upgraded the slew. It might make it overly sensitive with the stock slew still installed - but you can always downgrade so feel free to give it a go!

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 11:16 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Hello everyone!

Incredible,

The DeltaSim Slew upgrade is one of the things i'd class as transformative over the original Warthog throttle's weird mouse.
This Firmware is almost as transformative again IMHO.

Thank you so much for this.
I can move the TPOD in the Harrier smoothly, always thought the Harrier was broken. 

• Like 1

Just installed the updated firmware and even in the control panel it's visibly a good deal smoother!

edit: just tested in the A10C and it's infinitely better, the physical stick gives more control simply by being longer, the firmware makes it so much better - top work @Deltaalphalima1 🙂

Edited by edmuss

On 9/9/2022 at 6:16 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

Thrustmaster firmware update tool

i cannot seem to find this. i thought i used it when i first did the upgrade. can anyone share a link?

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

I also revisited using the slew as an analog wheel brake on the Spitfire etc. Again that seems to have more precise control and works really well.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

13 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

you are the best Max. Takk så mye! 😉 i kept seeing it as rudder pedals and its for all TM devices.

• Thanks 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 9/10/2022 at 11:22 AM, Deltaalphalima1 said:

It should work on any throttle, but there probably isn’t much advantage doing it if you haven’t also upgraded the slew. It might make it overly sensitive with the stock slew still installed - but you can always downgrade so feel free to give it a go!

I've seen some reports that the latest version of the WH throttle comes with an improved slew by default now.

Though apparently the default update rate on it is still the same.

Edited by LazyBoot