PC showing age, Would a RAM upgrade help?

My performance in 2.2 is not too great, admittedly I'm running it on higher settings than my rig would normally be run at (because Normandy looks so pretty!)

My rig is starting to show her age (Specs in sig) but I'd like to hold off on an upgrade for a little while longer if I can. I'm looking at the minimum & recommended requirements for dcs and my cpu seems fine, but my gpu is scraping the minimum and I only have 8 gigs of ram aswell.

Would a ram upgrade improve performance? or would my graphics card still be the bottleneck? I know ram isn't too cheap right now but it'd be cheaper than a whole new rig

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

Ram upgrade will make a difference but not much. your VGA card is weak. 2 GB VRAM wont cut it. secondly u shd have atleast 16 GB system Ram. I can only run normandy oh high settings when two 1070s are running in sli. on a single 1070 fps drops to 38-40 near ground. its a hardware demanding simulator

it's a laptop !

• Like 1

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

it's a laptop !

Honestly sick of hearing this. Yes its obviously a laptop, yes it gets kinda hot, with a cooling pad it never got too bad unless I played for a very long session, yes a desktop is a better value, and yes a desktop is upgrade-able. No my next computer will not be a desktop. I like the portability. No a small desktop is not equally as portable, I've been to my share of lan parties and sen just how "portable" a small form factor desktop is. I't's been running DCS fine since the 1.2 days, Only Normandy with its trees and high detail areas finally brought it to its knees after almost 4 years (Bought it in late 2014)

So thanks for the helpful comment there friend.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

by saying it's a laptop it's hard to upgrad the GPU and that 860M and 2GB vram is not going to help you issues, yes going to 16 GB will help but the GPU is going to become the limiting factor. Bitmaster is just telling drag it's a laptop, dont get your panties in to big of a wad. if you can get some cheap ram for it and it can be upgraded check first then do that. if not start saving for a 1060/70 laptop MSI or ASUS.

Edited by OldE24

8700k@4.7 32GB ram, 1080TI hybrid SC2

Honestly sick of hearing this. Yes its obviously a laptop, yes it gets kinda hot, with a cooling pad it never got too bad unless I played for a very long session, yes a desktop is a better value, and yes a desktop is upgrade-able. No my next computer will not be a desktop. I like the portability. No a small desktop is not equally as portable, I've been to my share of lan parties and sen just how "portable" a small form factor desktop is. I't's been running DCS fine since the 1.2 days, Only Normandy with its trees and high detail areas finally brought it to its knees after almost 4 years (Bought it in late 2014)

You handy with a soldering iron or SMT hot air gun ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

BitMaster's is very helpful with folks around here. I think the point is that with a laptop, your choices are limited. There are some external GPUs starting to come out, but as others have pointed out, there isn't much can do with a laptop. So I get that you want the portability and all the things that laptops are wonderful at. But unless you start out with a gaming specific laptop, your upgrades are practically non-existent after SSD and RAM upgrades.

And as for RAM, I don't believe you'll see appreciable difference in FPS. It may load a little faster, it may show up on a benchmark, but I don't think it'll be human perceivable.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

My performance in 2.2 is not too great, admittedly I'm running it on higher settings than my rig would normally be run at (because Normandy looks so pretty!)

My rig is starting to show her age (Specs in sig) but I'd like to hold off on an upgrade for a little while longer if I can. I'm looking at the minimum & recommended requirements for dcs and my cpu seems fine, but my gpu is scraping the minimum and I only have 8 gigs of ram aswell.

Would a ram upgrade improve performance? or would my graphics card still be the bottleneck? I know ram isn't too cheap right now but it'd be cheaper than a whole new rig

Installing more RAM will give you less frequent stutters and possibly faster load times. That's it.

As others have pointed out, DCS World is *extremely* demanding on your video card. If you can get it to run at all on your laptop, and said laptop does everything you need it to do except run DCS particularly well, you'd be much better off keeping the laptop you have for everything else you use it for, and saving the bread to get a dedicated desktop for something as incredibly demanding as DCS World. Both your eyes and wallet will thank you for it.

Yes, it's entirely possible to get fast gaming laptops--but for what a really, really good one will cost you, you'll be partway to getting a real pilot's license :)

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I did not want be be rude or such, sorry if my short statement sounded like it, my bad.

YOu see, I run quite a few PC's myself, including my old Asus G73 Gamer Laptop, older gaming rigs, MacbookPro etc.. and I think I have run DCS on all of them. Thing is, yes, it will get damn hot, you will kinda ruin it that way, and it will never give the performance you desire unless you spend a fortune on a Über-Laptop with a VERY VERY fast CPU that only yesterday got announced ( up to 4.8G, 6c/12T, Xeon, mobile ), + NVMe + 1080 or 1080Ti_ext, 32GB RAM.

That will still be portable, but very expensive too.

The neck breaker is that you cannot change parts and RAM is still so high priced that I would hesitate to put 200€ worth of RAM into an "old" (sorry) laptop. Rather save that money for a replacement laptop "WITH" Thunderbolt3, so that you may hook up a new ext. GPU in the future.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I did not want be be rude or such, sorry if my short statement sounded like it, my bad.

YOu see, I run quite a few PC's myself, including my old Asus G73 Gamer Laptop, older gaming rigs, MacbookPro etc.. and I think I have run DCS on all of them. Thing is, yes, it will get damn hot, you will kinda ruin it that way, and it will never give the performance you desire unless you spend a fortune on a Über-Laptop with a VERY VERY fast CPU that only yesterday got announced ( up to 4.8G, 6c/12T, Xeon, mobile ), + NVMe + 1080 or 1080Ti_ext, 32GB RAM.

The neck breaker is that you cannot change parts and RAM is still so high priced that I would hesitate to put 200€ worth of RAM into an "old" (sorry) laptop. Rather save that money for a replacement laptop "WITH" Thunderbolt3, so that you may hook up a new ext. GPU in the future.

Your statement was perfectly fine. Mr. Biker seems to be a little sensitive about his laptop. Its human nature to fall in love with machines. But computer technology becomes obselete very fast. thats the way it is.

Thanks for clearing that up, Sorry for my aggression. I'm just used to hearing the usual Sh*t from people as soon as they find out I own a Gaming laptop. its quite common that this happens so I assumed your short comment was more of this. Everything you said was true, I know I need an upgrade, but with my career field the portability of a laptop is definitely something I need, despite the disadvantages. The intent of my original post was just to determine if the ram upgrade would have any improvement for the interim until I buy a new laptop (And just my luck my car's engine decided to blow, so gonna be awhile before I can afford a real upgrade)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I remember my switching from 8 to 16 - it obviously reduced stuttering and loading times in 2.x.x. somewhat, but didn't improve anything else (would've been surprised if it did, really).

If I were you, I would more likely keep the money in the piggybank fund for the new laptop, especially when the RAM ain't dirt cheap nowadays.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

try putting SSD first if you have a slot for it on your laptop. There is nothing wrong with simming on a laptop I had a Sony a few years ago and it fared quite well actually right until DCS Mustang was released.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.