Would you buy fictional maps?

ESAc_matador

Would you buy fictional maps?  

928 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy fictional maps?

• Yes
    • No

As some said before, yes i would buy it.

If it keeps the spirit, realistic urbanism and geography of the region it represents...

Could be very interesting for trainings.

I would not buy it if it is an totaly abstract  map.

A good way for fictional maps could be like:

Mediterranean map with lot of islands( Greece, Cyprus kind of geography for exemple).

Scandinavian map( some Fjords mountains and sea).

Asian map (something mixing Vietnam and Korea coasts and mountains geography). 

Etc etc...

For sure i prefer real maps, but i see no reason to not create some generic maps.

DCS Community is made of so many different people with so many conception and interests about DCS World, not everybody expecting the same from DCS.

Some want dog fighings, others only want to fly!

And btw some other games did the same(Granturismo) mixing some real and some fictional or generic maps(call it like you want) and it worked fine, even if yes i know, it is not the same.

For me the most important in DCS is that laws of physics, systems, engines, weather etc...   are realistic as tech make it possible.

If this can bring more people to DCS, so why not?

And if this can help to produce some maps more easily and quickly without problems of rights because of some nations authorizations, so yes i am totaly ok with it.

Some people only want real maps, ok so just buy real ones!

Definitively +1 for me  (even i would prefer to see a full world like in the last Flight simulator).

Edited by tosmonaute
mistakes

• 2 months later...

I would consider fictional maps if they are realistic templates: believable terrain with landmarks, cities, etc, but no story or fictional history to them. In any case, I would much prefer real locations, but of course in the end a good map is a good map.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

No, I wouldn't either.

I also don't see any logic in unrealistic maps, lets not forget real maps are the easiest to make. I mean all the relevent data is out there, no need to "create" assets from scrattch, or spend ages deciding where to put things as you create it from the ground up

• Like 2

I'd buy a fictional map if there were some more customization options. Things like additional airfield objects and buildings to give an area the 'feel' you're looking for. Ideally, a tool to build or edit airfields (runways, ramps and such) would be best.

• Like 1

I would not be interested in a fictional map. I am making way too much use of them as it is. Currently, we have no N. Africa map to recreate any of the WWII action that took place there. All I can do to simulate that is use a fictional setting on either of the desert maps I own (PG/Nevada). And if that isn't enough, the Channel/Normandy have to double as the entire European continent. We have enough fiction, what we need are real maps.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well I never looked at it quite that way. But yeah a terrain engine would be cool if it was capable of generating populated centers/roads/industrial-military infrastructure. But it also sounds like it could be a lot of work too.

What would be even cooler would be if their whole world map idea would work something like that. The user selects the area they want to operate in and the terrain engine creates the map.  

10 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Well I never looked at it quite that way. But yeah a terrain engine would be cool if it was capable of generating populated centers/roads/industrial-military infrastructure. But it also sounds like it could be a lot of work too.

What would be even cooler would be if their whole world map idea would work something like that. The user selects the area they want to operate in and the terrain engine creates the map.  

A terrain engine would probably be a good step to the whole world map. 

• Like 2

The maps are quasi fictional anyway are they not? I just read a thread where the OP complained about incorrect terrain and roadways surrounding a particular lake area. The response from (I want to say Ed but may have been 3rd party) was maps were never supposed to be accurate. 
add to it a nice valley flight through the caucuses where every 3 min you fly over an identical town with identical temple and houses.  
Unless they go full tilt MS FS type deal, its all McPlayland.

Interesting how some would like things more realistic while some would actually like it less. Almost as if different people might have different opinions but thats a silly thought….

Edited by Mr. Big.Biggs
  • Like 2

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

12 hours ago, Callsign112 said:

Realizing of course that we would no longer be talking about fictional maps.

But I hope we do see more real maps though while we wait for the whole world map thing to materialize.

When we get a dcs world map that would be correct but I figure a random map generator could get the some of the functions in place 

On 5/7/2022 at 7:52 AM, Mr. Big.Biggs said:

The maps are quasi fictional anyway are they not? I just read a thread where the OP complained about incorrect terrain and roadways surrounding a particular lake area. The response from (I want to say Ed but may have been 3rd party) was maps were never supposed to be accurate. 
add to it a nice valley flight through the caucuses where every 3 min you fly over an identical town with identical temple and houses.  
Unless they go full tilt MS FS type deal, its all McPlayland.

Interesting how some would like things more realistic while some would actually like it less. Almost as if different people might have different opinions but thats a silly thought….

Can't say I agree here.

Map inaccuracies are quite another thing from being a fictional map.

And I would have to understand the context being used to suggest that "maps were never supposed to be accurate", because that comment, if it was made, could simply be referring to a map not containing some landmark for example, which has been a common complaint in the map threads.

I think in general, the maps are reasonably accurate in terms of the major road systems that connect the major urban centers, and the landmarks they contain. If you want to recreate the battle of the Falaise pocket for example, I think you can do that reasonably well with the current Normandy map, and I mean even if you are on the ground in a vehicle.

So IMO, while map detail could always be improved, the maps themselves are reasonable representations of the specific areas they are meant to portray.    

23 hours ago, Japo32 said:

if the map is great, and good price. why not? Even we set fictional missions with units and places that never had any war. 

True, but if the work needed to make a map is going to be undertaken, it would be more beneficial IMO to have the work spent on making a map of an actual area to help with mission immersion.

IMO, I think it would be

• 5 months later...

I think a clever and well thought out fictional map could be great. Inspired by real locations but Not confined by accurate geographical placement of airbases farps, SAM sites, ect. Could make for great mission planning and scenarios. Also you can add ocean for carrier ops, a mountainous area, urban areas, islands, etc. a little something for everyone. Certainly not #1 on my priority list but the right developer could do something really cool. I just wonder if ED would even allow it?

• Like 1

Do not use the fictional word, is misguiding, the word should be "generic", like a generic jungle map or generic arctic map.

And yes, I will buy a generic map.

Edited by Stratos

I don't understand anything in russian except Davai Davai!

A generic map with a combination of islands at different distances (to be helo friendly, right through to fast movers), a large main land or two, different environments, and other factors that allow for multiple type scenario's is something I would be willing to buy, but I'm not sure how many others in the community would, and whether it would be a viable thing to consider.  As to whether ED would allow one to be built by a 3rd party dev - only they could answer.

Edited by Dangerzone
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

If it was a purely fictional map that was a non-wartime map that looked much like any current map then no.

If it were a fictional map based on a wartime 2000's conflict where the map had frontlines and dug in positions and temporary airbases and buildups. This I would buy. Something that might represent a global conflict on that frontline in that era etc.... and could represent what the geography of an area might look like when it is militarized for that era's conflict.

Hope that made sense.

AMD 7900x3D | Asus ROG Crosshair X670E Hero | 64GB DC DDR5 6400 Ram | MSI Suprim RTX 4090 Liquid X | 2 x Kingston Fury 4TB Gen4 NVME | Corsair HX1500i PSU | NZXT H7 Flow | Liquid Cooled CPU & GPU | HP Reverb G2 | LG 48" 4K OLED | Winwing HOTAS