1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

Gentlemen, here is some explanations how your current 1.5 (and/or 2.2) will be converted to 2.5, please take a look the attached diagram. Transition will be made in 2 stages:

Stage 1: 2.5.0 Open Beta. The 1.5.8 Open Beta will be updated to the 2.5.0 Open Beta. The updater will check for 2.2.0 (Open Alpha) and add necessary modules from 2.2.0 to 2.5.0 to avoid unnecessary downloads.

The 2.2.0 Open Alpha and 1.5.8 Release will remain at this stage so you can continue to play online with those still using 1.5.8 or 1.2.2.

Over the next one to two weeks, we will be carefully monitoring 2.5.0 Open Beta reports in order to move to Stage 2.

Stage 2: 2.5.0 Release. The 1.5.8 Release version will be updated to the 2.5.0 Release version. You will be prompted before updating to 2.5.0, and you will have an option to save a 1.5.8 Final version to a separate directory.

The 2.2.0 Open Alpha will no longer be supported. The 2.2.0 Open Alpha will be updated to the 2.5.0 Release version.

Modules from 2.2.0 Open Alpha (or 2.5.0 Open Beta - see Stage 1) will be used during the 2.5.0 Release installation, after which, version 2.2.0 will be uninstalled after prompting you.

The 2.2.0 Open Alpha will no longer be supported. If you only have the 2.2.0 Open Alpha, the updater will suggest that you download the 2.5.0 installer - it will then install the 2.5.0 Release version and remove the 2.2.0 Open Alpha.

Home Folders (Saved Games\DCS) will remain in the same location (Saved Games\DCS and Saved Games\DCS.openbeta). New Saved Games\DCS.release_1_5 will be created for the 1.5.8 Final version and all its content will be copied into it from Saved Games\DCS. We also strongly suggest that you remove the Saved Games\DCS\Config\options.lua file and set up your graphics settings from scratch, given the significant differences between 1.5.8 and 2.5.0.

Old Caucasus will be updated to new one automatically.

Activations. All activation keys are saved in the Windows Registry and NO additional activation will be required.

1.5.8 Final version installer will be available on DCS site.

Transition planned in January 2018.

Although I had all 3 versions the two 1.5 and 2.2 I decided to just upgrade my stable 1.5 and it worked great. Everything moved over and I know have all my modules, maps, campaigns, Simple Radio, Tacview, joystick settings with no issues! I have tom say it looks incredible! A big thanks to DCS and the developers. I am sure we will find bugs as its impossible to find everything but just having everything combined is worth it and again the graphics look amazing!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we update from release to 2.5 openbeta trough cmd (dcs_updater.exe update @openbeta)?

I was able to change my shortcut on 1.5 and add update @openbeta

eg ...\DCS World\Bin\DCS_updater.exe" update @openbeta

it worked great just remember it removed the old version. Also once its updated you will need to remove the update @openbeta for it to run or it will just keep checking for updates

Yes, replacing. Well, it's not really replacing as they are usally 99% identical :D

But replacing the remaining 1%, yes. That means I have only one installation of DCS, which I often change to Open Beta or Stable Release depending on what I want at the time. Switching from OB to Stable Relase and back is just a simple command through the updater.

Nice! So I'll do it your way thanks! :)

Hi!

I have just installed the 2.5ob but I wonder if I dont install nevada terrain which is marked as notification on my openbeta module manager, later can I install it to the 2.5.0 stable version released?

and I am curious that should I download nevada terrain again or will it use 2.2.0 files when stable is out?

I have 1.5.8

2.2.0 open alpha

2.5.0 open beta

thanks

So

I've tested a few and you've really made a good work guys !

Congratulations ! It's very fluid even with high settings ( without MSAA but pixels X2 in VR) and it's a great step.

The little bugs I've noticed :

The F11 view needs some seconds to load on some airfields. You see the water and suddenly the good view is here.

The mission editor is very long sometimes to load.

In VR, smokes shot down the FPS ( not before) on very heavy missions.

Don't forget to work for ending with the DRM and after, you will have the perfect simulator.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

I'm assuming that I'll have a little bit of time between 2.5.0 Stable/Release becoming available for download (as in, anyone who doesn't have DCS can go strait to it) and my 1.5.8 (Stable/Release; Steam) and 2.2.0 (Open Alpha; Standalone) auto-update? As in, I'll have a small amount of time after 2.5 becomes available to uninstall and remove my other versions before they auto-update, right?

For those of you who downloaded the 1.5 open beta to 2.5 open beta, but whose 2.2 info didn't copy over, here is what I did to avoid downloading to install NTTR, Normandy, and my F5E Basic Fighter Maneuver Campaign.

1) I opened my DCS Open Alpha directory and went to Mods (I believe that was the subfolder). If The Terrains subfolder isn't in the Mods subfolder, type NTTR into the search box and it will show you the path.

2) I opened Terrains subfolder.

3) I right-clicked the NTTR subfolder.

4) I selected Copy from the menu.

5) I opened the DCS Open Beta directory and went to the Mods subfolder.

6) I right-clicked on the Terrains subfolder.

7) I selected Paste, and NTTR took about 5 minutes to copy into my Open Beta.

8) Repeat steps 1 through 7 for Normandy if you have purchased it.

9) I then made sure I had copied everything I needed by doing the following:

DISCLAIMER - I use Windows 7 64 bit. If you use another system, your process might be different, and I can't help you there!

A) Open your DCS Open Beta directory.

B) Shift+right click on your Bin subfolder.

C) Click on "Open Command Window Here."

NOW PAY ATTENTION HERE! THE UPPER CASE AND LOWER CASE ARE CRITICAL. IT HAS NOT WORKED FOR ME IF THE CORRECT CASE WASN't USED!

D) Type DCS_Updater.exe repair.

E) Hit enter or return, which ever your computer uses. Repair will search through your installation and correct any issues it finds.

F) When repair finishes, in the same command window, type DCS_Updater.exe cleanup.

G) Cleanup will search your installation and tell you any files that are not part of your base installation such as mods and liveries and give you the opportunity to keep them or to delete them.

H) after cleanup finishes, close your command window and you're done.

I found this method to be MUCH faster than downloading through the installer.

Edited by Balzarog

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Hi!

I have just installed the 2.5ob but I wonder if I dont install nevada terrain which is marked as notification on my openbeta module manager, later can I install it to the 2.5.0 stable version released?

Yes

Thanks, but doing this, E:\DCS World\bin> .\dcs_updater.exe Simply boots the sim.. no update started?

You forgot the update @openbeta part, so it should be DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I have no idea how this works, have read various contradictions.

If I run DCS 2.2, it boots into the game, no update. Showing version 2.2.0.12843

If I run DCS 1.5.8, it boots into the game, no update, game version 1.5.8.12823

If I run either of the DCS_updater apps, they just boot me into the game too??

It is really simple

If you are running 1.5.8 Stable --> you must convert to Open beta version

open a command promt in DCS World/Bin folder and type:

DCS_updater.exe update 1.5.8@openbeta

When it is done, start DCS World open beta and it should automatically update to 2,5 open beta.

Done.

Thanks.. it worked for me.

My Files.....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have no idea how this works, have read various contradictions.

If I run DCS 2.2, it boots into the game, no update. Showing version 2.2.0.12843

If I run DCS 1.5.8, it boots into the game, no update, game version 1.5.8.12823

If I run either of the DCS_updater apps, they just boot me into the game too??

You have the use the correct command, as described literally one comment above yours or here:

If you don't have the Open Beta installed, use the updater with DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta to convert your 1.5.8 Stable Release installation to the Open Beta branch and download 2.5.

More info on how to use the updater can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Or you just wait for the standalone installer which will be released latre today.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes

You forgot the update @openbeta part, so it should be DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

I swear I was telling people this yesterday in the thread a bunch of times but some said it was not working or the version was removed. Not sure what changed today.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I swear I was telling people this yesterday in the thread a bunch of times but some said it was not working or the version was removed. Not sure what changed today.

Nothing changed. Probably just something done wrong by the user...

Tornado3 small.jpg

Mod please put this in the right section, I don't know where it goes!

So I have 6M/s speed according to Sky which gives me max 0.6Mb/s downloading speed. But I’ve spent all last night and all through the day and it’s still not finished! Half the time it’s download8ng at 49kb/s!!!!!!! And I can’t even browse the internet while it’s on. Does anyone know what is wrong here, my connection seems fine. Thanks in advance

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I am trying to install my modules (v2.2) but when that pop up window with checked modules shows up and I hit install game always crash to desktop

Послато са SM-G955F уз помоћ Тапатока

Asus H97 PRO--I7-4790 3.60-4.00 ghz Haswell
--
Cooler Master Hyper 103
--
16gb Kingston HyperX Fury black 1866mhz
--
ZOTAC AMP extreme gtx 1080 ti
--
SSD Kingston HyperX Fury 120 Gb
--
Samsung EvO 850 500gb
--
TM Warthog
--
Cooler MAster V 750
--
Plantronics 500HD

so countdown for stable versin has started :)

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Wow! Eighty pages of the same five to ten questions. I'll bet that's some kind of record.:megalol:

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

The conversion from 1.5.8 to 1.5.8OB isn't working for me. I've used the above mentioned command (DCS_updater.exe update 1.5.8@openbeta) which updates it to 1.5.8.12823. Trying to update to 2.5 tells me that 2.5 is not available, and my 1.5.8 install is not recognized as Open Beta.

Hi people

I just thought I'd post what I think is a bug.

I left my 2.5 beta update going over night. The updater was still happily chipping away at the download this morning when I got up for work. Unfortunately, when I got home from work, the update had stopped with an error warning displayed. The error said somthing about having lost connection with the DCS servers. Upon trying to restart the download, the updater got stuck on the "getting torrent info" progress window, or somthing to that effect. Initially, the upater asked if I wanted to remove the now irrelevant 2.2 alpha files, to which I said yes. After this, it got stuck looking for the torrent.

I tried removing the 2.2 alpha manually, but upon relaunching the beta update, it still said it had found irrelevant files and asked if I wanted to delete them. This time I said no, just to see if that made a difference. It didn't. The updater stalled in the same spot.

I'm happy to see the stand alone 2.5 open beta download has been made available. I installed that updater and 2.5 is downloading fine now.

I didn't read all of this forum, so forgive me if this bug/problem has been reported already. I just wanted to make a post about it in case someone has the same problem.

Cheers.

Customer since Flanker 2.5, here. I just upgraded to a new computer yesterday and was caught reinstalling all of DCS flavors. Sans the Open Beta, it turns out.

I don't think that a new installer will be available tomorrow. I think it's going to be weeks before we see that.

Cheers,

Whatever I used this morning to go from 2.2 to 2.5 worked perfectly

i7-6700k @ 4.69Ghz / 1080GTX +10% / MSI z270 Gaming M7 / Oculus CV1 VR / 16GB DDR4 2850Hz / Corsair H100i v2 / CH Products

Sorry, but this current "arrangement" is completely confusing for new users?!

They go to the "Download/DCS World" page and all they see is "2.1 Early Access" and "1.5" ... none of those are explicitly mentioned in this Forum thread - if they even GET to find this forum page (clicking on the News article link).

@USSR_Rik talks in his post about "1.5.8 Open Beta" and "2.2.0 Open Alpha" - none of them are on the actual Download page.

You are shooting yourselves in the foot here, imho.

New, people, who are interested and want to experience what they just saw on YouTube are going to give up, even before their first download?

I promoted the 2.5 Teaser Trailer on social media and have to explain now how to 'get the 2.5 version'.

That's not how you market your game, successfully.

I am not looking for you to explain things to ME, I am telling you, how the most simple things - if not done 'correctly' - hurt badly, what you want to accomplish: new players. New customers.

Right, but in ED's defence, if I may, people who aren't serious about finding a download link aren't going to be serious enough to buy any paid modules or even learn the free stuff to substantial depth.

No red carpets on social media made me become a DCS customer, I was playing Lock On way way +15 years back at friends house and I naturally liked it, I didn't had a powerful enough PC at the time (still young at parents house) and I got into other things later and forgot about it, I was more in consoles at home because parents also played.

For the last 6 years it was pretty much assured fate that I would play DCS and buy things for DCS, so all ED had to do was hang in there and wait (for example), since I've had it on the back of my mind, it was just the question of when it'll be the time when I pull the trigger and that all had to do with everything else, for me at least.

And ... so I can figure there's other people out there that simply ED or advertisments can't do much other than wait until they're ready to start going into paid modules, it's all up to them when they decide to go serious, I kept lurking around here for at least 2 years before I registered as I was phasing out of mainstream entertainment (for all the different reasons) and finding more serious things, to me it wasn't a simple deal as throwing just another software program on a machine, it was a fundamental philosophical transition that took time, all the life things are calculated in, schedules, projects, tasks, and a cool looking advertisment wouldn't have changed much because I won't drop everything in a middle of a important project just to play a few hours of DCS, and the people who would do that, they drop a wife just to play the new call of duty DLC or something, they are responding to clickbait. So I think ED knows this and doesn't bother with marketing that you see elsewhere, but that's great, because that's all predatory marketing, that's the whole reason I'm here too, one of them, to get away from predatory marketing.

Also, I have to mention another thing: In a lot of things out there, when some things (software,projects,etc) "die" it's usually perceieved as if nobody is interested or that they switched to something else, but I've have started to analyze that some of these "deaths" are simply coincidences of many core people being temporairly busy with something else, and I found myself also in such a lifestyle of sessions.

So if a lot of people do things in sessions, DCS for 2 weeks, House improvement for 2 months, PC maintenace for 1 week, cleaning room for 4 days, vacation for 1 week, file sorting and archiving for 2 weeks, back to DCS for 1 week .. you could throguh simple coincidence find a moment at which almost everyone wouldn't be using/playing example thing but that coincidence would be seen as the death and the CEOs/Analysts/Markets start panicking as if it's some kind of a disaster happend and they always dumb things down and remarket and need to find a different demographic, where all they had to do is wait and take a break themselfs, without much marketing spent, this is all due to the financial system that requires constant circulation of money just for something to stay afloat, so unfortunate, makes no sense at all, it shouldn't work that way imo.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria