1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

It's 1.5 for me as well. I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Switching to 2.5 Stable when it has been released shouldn't be a problem. I regularly switch between OB and Stable for many years now without issues and I've never paid attention to the version defined in the registry.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a bit confused with how this installation and updating is going to work.

I currently have DCS 1.5 Caucasus and DCS 2.1 Nevada/Normandy installed on my hard drive as two separate games. Will the new DCS 2.5 convert 1.5 into 2.5 and also convert 2.1 into 2.5, essentially giving me two 2.5's with Caucasus/Nevada/Normandy maps all in one version?

Side item - Some Missions/Training Missions only work in 1.5 while other Missions/Training Missions only work in 2.1, will 2.5 fix this so all Missions work in one game/version?

Thanks,

Edited by mjfur

I'm still a bit confused with how this installation and updating is going to work.

I currently have DCS 1.5 Caucasus and DCS 2.1 Nevada/Normandy installed on my hard drive as two separate games. Will the new DCS 2.5 convert 1.5 into 2.5 and also convert 2.1 into 2.5, essentially giving me two 2.5's with Caucasus/Nevada/Normandy maps all in one version?

Side item - Some Missions/Training Missions only work in 1.5 while other Missions/Training Missions only work in 2.1, will 2.5 fix this so all Missions work in one game/version?

Thanks,

could you just not update 1.5 to 2.5 then you have no need for 2.2

I have DCS world 2.2.0 and I have not been given notification to download dcs 2.5.0.

Is Dcs 2.5.0 beta only available to 1.5.8 version?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I have DCS world 2.2.0 and I have not been given notification to download dcs 2.5.0.

Is Dcs 2.5.0 beta only available to 1.5.8 version?

Eaglewings go to:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

and download the 2.5 beta installer and run it...do not delete you 2.2 Alpha as much will be copied from it to new 2.5 beta during the install process. Later on you will be given the choice to delete 2.2 alpha however I suggest you keep it if you have the space on drives to do so. Later on if all is well after some time and it suits you then uninstall 2.2 alpha...Gary

Alternatively you can just update 2.2 alpha to 2.5 beta by using the DCS updater with the following command DCS_Updater.exe update @openbeta

More information on how to do this can be found here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I don’t think there is any copying going on from other versions during the upgrade. The upgrade process downloads everything from the torrents. It does not copy anything from any other versions. At least in two of my upgrades here.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I don’t think there is any copying going on from other versions during the upgrade. The upgrade process downloads everything from the torrents. It does not copy anything from any other versions. At least in two of my upgrades here.

No such problem on my end. The initial upgrade from 1.5.8 to 2.5 as well as both hotfix installations did copy (a lot of) files over from my 2.2.

If you are updating from 1.5.8 open beta, and also have 2.2 open alpha installed, the 2.5 open beta update will update your 1.5.8 open beta to 2.5 open beta, and will copy the necessary files from 2.2 open alpha. My update didn't copy my 2.2 open alpha files because I had installed a new SSD that bumped up the drive letter, so my 2.2 drive didn't match my registry. I simply copied my 2.2 NTTR and Normandy terrains to my 2.5 open beta directory. It seems to have worked.

• Like 1

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

I've just realized that update to 2.5 did not remove my 2.2 alpha installation. 65gb dead game lying in my harddrive? Is it ok to remove it manually?

Well i'm asking this because Windows thinks it's too big for recycling so it will delete immediately.2.5 is fine btw i can choose between the maps in ME.

• ED Team
I've just realized that update to 2.5 did not remove my 2.2 alpha installation. 65gb dead game lying in my harddrive? Is it ok to remove it manually?

Well i'm asking this because Windows thinks it's too big for recycling so it will delete immediately.2.5 is fine btw i can choose between the maps in ME.

Yes If you are no longer planning to use it, you can delete it manually

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Mine did the same. I had to manually download Nevada and my 2.0 campaigns from the 2.5 module manager. All my progress except the f15 campaign was still there. I then manually deleted the dcs 2.0 folder.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Transition Copying Not Happening for Some Users

I have not done any update from my 2.2 Open Alpha to 2.5 Open Beta but will down track update to 2.5 Final after it is released.

I installed 2.2 Open Alpha 6 months ago and installed it on a dedicated SSD just for DCS.

It has not been transferred from one drive to another and no drive letter changes have happened since that install. Am hoping that when I update to 2.5 Final I will not have any issues with

NOT having Saved Games folder, modules and Nevada, Normandy maps copying over to the 2.5 FINAL.

Am wondering are the users who experience things not copying also be users who at some point in the past copied DCS installation from one drive location to another or perhaps changed drive lettering resulting in registry problem. Hence this is what is causing things to not copy over as they should. Any ideas anyone or thoughts on this?

I have not done any update from my 2.2 Open Alpha to 2.5 Open Beta but will down track update to 2.5 Final after it is released.

I installed 2.2 Open Alpha 6 months ago and installed it on a dedicated SSD just for DCS.

It has not been transferred from one drive to another and no drive letter changes have happened since that install. Am hoping that when I update to 2.5 Final I will not have any issues with

NOT having Saved Games folder, modules and Nevada, Normandy maps copying over to the 2.5 FINAL.

Am wondering are the users who experience things not copying also be users who at some point in the past copied DCS installation from one drive location to another or perhaps changed drive lettering resulting in registry problem. Hence this is what is causing things to not copy over as they should. Any ideas anyone or thoughts on this?

I expect that you'd be set up as you should be. If you would like to confirm that and you are comfortable with viewing or editing your registry, you can follow the process here and, if you need to add or change the entry, here.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Few weeks ago I had insufficient space on the only SSD on the system.

Added another SSD and I copied dcs world 2.2.0 over to the new drive, changed the drive name in registry, changed the desktop shortcut file path and everything works good.

With the registry change, any future update would go to the the new drive as I read.

I have not done and update since then to confirm as I am waiting for the released version of dcs 2.5.0

I think if the registry has been changed to reflect the new drive and the desktop shortcut launcher is routed to the new drive, future update would be installed and or copied over to where the dcs world is.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

Few weeks ago I had insufficient space on the only SSD on the system.

Added another SSD and I copied dcs world 2.2.0 over to the new drive, changed the drive name in registry, changed the desktop shortcut file path and everything works good.

With the registry change, any future update would go to the the new drive as I read.

I have not done and update since then to confirm as I am waiting for the released version of dcs 2.5.0

I think if the registry has been changed to reflect the new drive and the desktop shortcut launcher is routed to the new drive, future update would be installed and or copied over to where the dcs world is.

Sent from my F3213 using Tapatalk

I expect that you'd be set up as you should be. If you would like to confirm that and you are comfortable with viewing or editing your registry, you can follow the process here and, if you need to add or change the entry, here.

Thanks JM1. I checked Registry entry and in my case everything looks correct so things should copy over fine. That should also be true for you Ernestwinslow. Gary

As I stated in my TWO posts on PAGES 79 AND 87 OF THIS TOPIC, my 2.2 OA files didn't copy over because I had previously installed a new SSD drive hat caused my drive letters to be bumped up, and my registry paths were incorrect. I simply copied my NTTR and Normandy terrains to the same terrains directory in my 2.5 OB directory. I then ran a repair, followed by a cleanup and 2.5 runs great.

I apologize if I sound a bit cranky, but we have 88 pages of posters asking basically the same questions because they haven't read the posts, and I posted about this just ONE page ago!

Edited by Balzarog

When all else fails, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

i-7 8700K Coffee Lake 5 GHz OC CPU, 32GB Corsair 3200 RAM, GTX1080 Ti 11Gb VRAM. Controls - Thrustmaster Warthog H.O.T.A.S., Saitek Pro rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Oculus Rift S, Rift CV1

Is there any way to migrate a 2.2.0 OA from one disk to another?

... I have a SSD 120GB wiht 2.2.0 installed and I would like to install a 2.5.0 here as well. But the disk space will not be sufficient. So I would like to migrate 2.2.0 to another bigger disk and keep the SSD clean for a fresh 2.5.0 install.

I believe ED made a tactical mistake here. Should not have promised release at end of January, or at least to come back and say open beta release end of Jan followed by a proper release soon after. I have nothing installed now, saved my config files and wiped out 1.5.x and 2.2.x and bought a new 500 GB M.2 dedicated to DCS World. Expected it at end of January, of course but hey, promises can't always be honored, I pretty much understand that.

And here I am, judging by the pretty picture at the beginning of the thread if I want to play DCS now I must download 2.5.0 OB. If I want to play the stable branch, I will have to install the 2.5.0 stable/release and hope that when I do that a lot of files will be copied from beta branch to the release one. Am I reading this correctly?

PS: before you say I should not delete 1.5 and 2.2 I really don't care as for me 1.5 and 2.0 were losing a bit the appeal after seeing the screenshots on 2.5. Wasn't playing 1.5/2.2 for months already, was pretty much set on 2.5

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

I have still have DCS 2.1 and it offers me to update to 2.2 but not 2.5

Can somebody answer shortly, is it better to uninstall and download 2.5 or try to update v2.1?

If you have enough disk space, keep 2.1 for the time being.

The preferred route is to download and install the 2.5 OpenBeta installer.

This installer should offer you the option to delete an existing 2.2 installation, but would first copy or move files from 2.2 over to 2.5 so that the process is a lot faster and requires less downloads from the Internet.

However, I don't know if this also works with an outdated 2.1 installation. If you want to be on the safe side, update 2.1 to the latest 2.2, then go for the OpenBeta. That should work quite well. :thumbup:

I believe ED made a tactical mistake here. Should not have promised release at end of January, [...]

What are you even talking about? They released the OpenBeta one day earlier than announced.

Did ED ever promise to get the stable release version ready by the end of January? To the best of my knowledge, that was never the plan, and they kept their promise perfectly well.