1.5.8 and 2.2.0 to 2.5 transition Discussion

USSR_Rik

freeze/frozen

Well Win10 dicked me again. Before I had to reset my PC I had 2.5 running. After resetting, all sims work except DCS 2.5 beta. It starts OK, and I can select settings, but I click the module manager and it freezes. If I try to select the TF51 for a free flight, it freeze with the interminable hour glass. In either case I have to ctl-alt-dlt to select task manager and close DCS. I uninstalled everything then downloaded 2.5 beta and this is where I'm at now, nothing works.

What should I have done differently to help a new install find it's legs? seach the registry for entries? I can try that. I think I ran the DCS repair, which was successful, but the game still froze as mentioned

thank you,

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Win10 dicked me again. Before I had to reset my PC I had 2.5 running. After resetting, all sims work except DCS 2.5 beta. It starts OK, and I can select settings, but I click the module manager and it freezes. If I try to select the TF51 for a free flight, it freeze with the interminable hour glass. In either case I have to ctl-alt-dlt to select task manager and close DCS. I uninstalled everything then downloaded 2.5 beta and this is where I'm at now, nothing works.

What should I have done differently to help a new install find it's legs? seach the registry for entries? I can try that. I think I ran the DCS repair, which was successful, but the game still froze as mentioned

thank you,

Flyby out

I'm sorry to see no one offered any help when you posted in the "Game Crashes" forum. FTR your DCS.log will be in C:\Users\<Username>\Saved Games\DCS\Logs.

I really don't know this side of things but I'll try to help rather than leaving you with silence.

My questions so far:

Since resetting:

1. How stable is your internet connection?

2. When you enter DCS, can you tell if you are logged in?

3. Has DCS requested activation keys for all of your modules?

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Quick question as I can't seem to find an answer. I've had no DCS for some time now, I fully uninstalled it. I've been waiting for the stable 2.5 release but I'm getting anxious to get back into playing now.

If I install the 2.5 Beta, will that automatically update to the stable release once it is ready? Or will I have to uninstall that and install the stable 2.5 release separately? I'm assuming it's the former, but it's hard to keep up with all of these different releases, I'm glad they are all finally merging soon....

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I'm sorry to see no one offered any help when you posted in the "Game Crashes" forum. FTR your DCS.log will be in C:\Users\<Username>\Saved Games\DCS\Logs.

I really don't know this side of things but I'll try to help rather than leaving you with silence.

My questions so far:

Since resetting:

1. How stable is your internet connection?

2. When you enter DCS, can you tell if you are logged in?

3. Has DCS requested activation keys for all of your modules?

hello JMI,

1- yes, very stable internet 55dl/11ul low pings on most servers I fly.

2- I think I am, as my name and PW are populated, but I notice I alway have to click the "remember me" box as it does not seem to "remember" (me).

3- No. When I click the module manager, doing so freezes the sim.

4- selecting a mission then a plane then fly freezes the sim.

5- None of my modules I purchased show up (but isn't that what the module manager is suppose to show me once it opens?)

I suppose I should go insane and uninstall DCS 2.5 beta, then reinstall DCS and expect a different result?:( Maybe this time I'll scour the registry in case there are bits left in the machine.

JMI, I appreciate you chiming in. I'm all ears, and open to try anything.

many thanks,

Flyby out

For Python

Quick question as I can't seem to find an answer. I've had no DCS for some time now, I fully uninstalled it. I've been waiting for the stable 2.5 release but I'm getting anxious to get back into playing now.

If I install the 2.5 Beta, will that automatically update to the stable release once it is ready? Or will I have to uninstall that and install the stable 2.5 release separately? I'm assuming it's the former, but it's hard to keep up with all of these different releases, I'm glad they are all finally merging soon....

Yes 2.5 Beta will update to the 2.5 Final stable release when it becomes available up ahead sometime. Myself I am still running 2.2 Open Alpha and will update to the 2.5 Final stable release when it becomes available so as to avoid the hassle of bugs and issues with 2.5 Beta which DCS are currently working on to ensure 2.5 Final is as stable as possible.

hello JMI,

1- yes, very stable internet 55dl/11ul low pings on most servers I fly.

2- I think I am, as my name and PW are populated, but I notice I alway have to click the "remember me" box as it does not seem to "remember" (me).

3- No. When I click the module manager, doing so freezes the sim.

4- selecting a mission then a plane then fly freezes the sim.

5- None of my modules I purchased show up (but isn't that what the module manager is suppose to show me once it opens?)

I suppose I should go insane and uninstall DCS 2.5 beta, then reinstall DCS and expect a different result?:( Maybe this time I'll scour the registry in case there are bits left in the machine.

JMI, I appreciate you chiming in. I'm all ears, and open to try anything.

many thanks,

Flyby out

Thanks for posting that information. When I “fresh start”ed my PC a couple of weeks ago I had some issues that appeared to be traces of settings, drivers and services that had somehow made it into the new install. Since the reset, is everything else working as it should?

My suspicion is that we may wind up having to remove all traces of DCS from your system and reinstall again from scratch but I’ll need to find a guide to how to do that properly.

Before we try that, could you please try the following:

1) Start DCS as normal, select “Instant Action” as usual, select the Su-25T as the aircraft and see if the game behaves differently.

2) Restart your PC. After entering Windows, disconnect your PC from your internet connection (remove the Ethernet cable and/or turn off your wifi) and then start the game. Once again, go to “Instant Action”, select the Su-25T and see what happens.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

I am sorry to be a bother, and I do not know if this has been asked already, but one question I have is this: Once the Stable Version of DCS World 2.5 is completed and released, would I be able to use the "Update DCS World" program to update my copy of DCS World 1.5.8 to the Stable version of DCS World 2.5, or do I have to download the Stable version separately and install it like other computer programs? I am sorry for asking such a lousy question, but, as usual, I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

Yes 2.5 Beta will update to the 2.5 Final stable release when it becomes available up ahead sometime. Myself I am still running 2.2 Open Alpha and will update to the 2.5 Final stable release when it becomes available so as to avoid the hassle of bugs and issues with 2.5 Beta which DCS are currently working on to ensure 2.5 Final is as stable as possible.

Super, I know what I'm doing with my day then. Installing the whole library of modules and then probably crashing a lot as I'm out of practice....

[sIGPIC]sigpic67951_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

For Andoodle

I am sorry to be a bother, and I do not know if this has been asked already, but one question I have is this: Once the Stable Version of DCS World 2.5 is completed and released, would I be able to use the "Update DCS World" program to update my copy of , or do I have to download the Stable version separately and install it like other computer programs? I am sorry for asking such a lousy question, but, as usual, I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

No...you do not use the usual updater process to go from DCS World 1.5.8 to the Stable version of DCS World 2.5 when it is released down track. Instead download the installer for DCS World 2.5 final/stable.

when it is available from:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

When you download and run the installer it will ask you if you wish to copy some of your data from 1.5.8 to 2.5 so as to make the download process smaller. This will include modules, saved data such as input configuration etc. You will also have the opportunity to decide which drive you want to install 2.5 to. Also it will ask if you wish to delete (uninstall) 1.5.8

Thanks for posting that information. When I “fresh start”ed my PC a couple of weeks ago I had some issues that appeared to be traces of settings, drivers and services that had somehow made it into the new install. Since the reset, is everything else working as it should?

My suspicion is that we may wind up having to remove all traces of DCS from your system and reinstall again from scratch but I’ll need to find a guide to how to do that properly.

Before we try that, could you please try the following:

1) Start DCS as normal, select “Instant Action” as usual, select the Su-25T as the aircraft and see if the game behaves differently.

2) Restart your PC. After entering Windows, disconnect your PC from your internet connection (remove the Ethernet cable and/or turn off your wifi) and then start the game. Once again, go to “Instant Action”, select the Su-25T and see what happens.

Hi JMI

I will try your suggestions. Last night I deleted DCS, and scoured the registry to remove all traced of DCS, and Eagle Dynamics. I then d/l'd 2.5 beta. No change for the good when I fired it up. Also maybe important, when I had to use the Task manager to "end task" I saw that the memory usage showed approximately 900mb. I've seen this figure every time I've had to end DCS. It's like the memory is just hanging there (?).

I'll report back.

Flyby out

I am sorry to be a bother, and I do not know if this has been asked already, but one question I have is this: Once the Stable Version of DCS World 2.5 is completed and released, would I be able to use the "Update DCS World" program to update my copy of DCS World 1.5.8 to the Stable version of DCS World 2.5, or do I have to download the Stable version separately and install it like other computer programs? I am sorry for asking such a lousy question, but, as usual, I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

No...you do not use the usual updater process to go from DCS World 1.5.8 to the Stable version of DCS World 2.5 when it is released down track. Instead download the installer for DCS World 2.5 final/stable.

when it is available from:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/

When you download and run the installer it will ask you if you wish to copy some of your data from 1.5.8 to 2.5 so as to make the download process smaller. This will include modules, saved data such as input configuration etc. You will also have the opportunity to decide which drive you want to install 2.5 to. Also it will ask if you wish to delete (uninstall) 1.5.8

OP:

Stage 2: 2.5.0 Release. The 1.5.8 Release version will be updated to the 2.5.0 Release version. You will be prompted before updating to 2.5.0

surely that means that when 2.5 is available and you start up 1.5.8 it will offer you the 2.5 update automatically, just like any other update?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

JMI, I gave it a try

You are onto something. I did as you asked, and the Su-25 quick mission failed to load with the internet connection. I restarted the PC, disconnected the internet cable, then tried the Su quick mission again, and it successfully launched. Now for the magic bullet?

thank you,

Flyby out

I have a metered connection so I need to know how many GB I have to download to install 2.5 if I have already installed 1.5.8 Release and 2.5 OA Release (in order to save some GB of files).

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have NTTR installed, and it is the only one I need (and the default Caucasus, of course)

Edited by Wallkon

Just wondering, what's the difference/advantage/disadvantage between OB and stable? As in, when the release version comes out, will it be any different then OB?

When release version comes out it would probably be the same as the Beta version until the next update. Each update will then go to Beta first to get issues worked out before being added to release so Beta is inherently less stable. One advantage though is when new modules come out they'll go to Beta first so you can get your hands on it a little sooner if you consider that an advantage.

So, Beta gets everything a little earlier, but it's more buggy. When the stuff goes to the release version, will all of the improvements given to it also go the Beta? As in, Beta gets stuff earlier, and when it goes to the release version, it will be the same between the two?

I have a metered connection so I need to know how many GB I have to download to install 2.5 if I have already installed 1.5.8 Release and 2.5 OA Release (in order to save some GB of files).

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I have NTTR installed, and it is the only one I need (and the default Caucasus, of course)

Ok, I resolved it. I downloaded DCS 2.5 OB installer and it took around 80 GB from my current installation, and after that it downloaded around 16 GB from internet.

I expect it could be useful for someone else.

When the stuff goes to the release version, will all of the improvements given to it also go the Beta? As in, Beta gets stuff earlier, and when it goes to the release version, it will be the same between the two?

Yes. Just think of it as a two step process that keeps repeating.

Add new content or fixes to Beta and see how it works. Once problems are ironed out move the build to release version. Next Beta version would then include fixes to previous version and once again add more content or fixes. etc. etc. ...

In my first post I said both versions would be same but in hindsight that's not really the case. The release version should of course have improvements ovr Beta. My point was they'd probably just be concentrating on performance issues and bug fixes and not add new content so both versions will be similar, not the same.

Edited by cthulhu68

Yes. Just think of it as a two step process that keeps repeating.

Add new content or fixes to Beta and see how it works. Once problems are ironed out move the build to release version. Next Beta version would then include fixes to previous version and once again add more content or fixes. etc. etc. ...

In my first post I said both versions would be same but in hindsight that's not really the case. The release version should of course have improvements ovr Beta. My point was they'd probably just be concentrating on performance issues and bug fixes and not add new content so both versions will be similar, not the same.

Well... in most software dev the beta versions gets changed and hacked around as bugs are fixed and new features are added. It changes rapidly and when the beta testers stop whinging, the beta is released to Stable and the normal users get what the beta testers have been using. I'd predict that 2.5 won't be getting new features for a while because there will be a load of bugs to be squished. Most projects will release a big version and then feature freeze to get rid of the inevitable bugs that come from large changes.

Being a beta tester can be fun but you can't complain if you download a new beta version and suddenly your controls are inverted or your chosen module runs like a dog.

If you're running stable, you get the new stuff when it's ready but (hopefully) not before. Usually the current stable is just the same as the last beta version before release because the devs don't want to introduce untested changes to the release version.

Of course, this is just my experience of other beta programs - who knows how those crazy ED coders work? :)

edit: sorry cthulhu68, forgot this board doesn't do nested quotes.

Edited by Morat

• 2 weeks later...

2.5 Open Beta Transition

Hi All,

Just a quick question...

I'm debating whether or not to download the 2.5 open beta, but I don't want to have to redownload 2.5 again when it goes into full release. Can someone confirm that the Open Beta will automatically transition into the full release once it comes out of beta, or will I have to download the full release separately after?

Cheers,

Dazzy.

Just in CMD prompt type: dcs_updater.exe update @release

More about that: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

Edited by Falcon_S

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

Transitioning between 2.5.0 Open Beta to Stable

Is this possible? Whenever I try to do force the update to stable version, the updater states I already have the latest stable version. But I had the Open Beta only.

Could it be that this is just 2.5.0 with the last few hotfixes? If so, there doesn't seem to be any correction to multiplayer crashes. And that memory leak, was it fixed?

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

the updater states I already have the latest stable version

Because they are same... no updates at all. But you are switched your OB to release and soon when update are ready you will update your release version.

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH!