Harrier vs L-39ZA in A-A

Sandman1330

Anyone try setting up a mission against an L-39 in AA? I was finding the MiG series too easy (equipped with heat seekers only of course), so I thought I'd try an L-39 on a whim.

Wow.... L-39 on excellent whoops my butt every time. The sustained turn on that thing is way above the Harrier! I don't have the L-39 module, so I've never flown it, but it was truly a surprise.

I probably need to change tactics and not try to turn inside, but maybe more of a boom and zoom...

Anyone having regular success?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Anyone try setting up a mission against an L-39 in AA? I was finding the MiG series too easy (equipped with heat seekers only of course), so I thought I'd try an L-39 on a whim.

Wow.... L-39 on excellent whoops my butt every time. The sustained turn on that thing is way above the Harrier! I don't have the L-39 module, so I've never flown it, but it was truly a surprise.

I probably need to change tactics and not try to turn inside, but maybe more of a boom and zoom...

Anyone having regular success?

Are you using the Harrier capability to turn tighter by setting 90 degree nozzle? You should be able to break the turning benefit by using that.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Are you using the Harrier capability to turn tighter by setting 90 degree nozzle? You should be able to break the turning benefit by using that.

I’ve tried, but usually it just results in a rapid loss of energy and stall... maybe I’m not doing it right?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I’ve tried, but usually it just results in a rapid loss of energy and stall... maybe I’m not doing it right?
I only know that harrier pilots uses that capability. As well what I tested it, I was successful with it but I didn't use it more than 270-360 degree turn to break the circle and get the advantage.

And harrier one huge benefit is that it accelerate faster in vertical than F-15C up to 15kft. So using that as well advantage to gain speed rapidly by going vertical or nozzles back to aft.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Viffing should not be used much beyond 15 degrees' date=' certainly not 90...[/quote']

That was my impression first, until Harrier pilot told that it is far more than just little. You even pull a 98 degree to get that 8 degree reverse angle to slow down quickly if needed. And done in formation flights etc.

It is question of your situation and what you need to do, not what you are not allowed to do.

90 degree is most effective, naturally. And that is its benefit that you have such a capability when seems to fit.

Viffing should not be used much beyond 15 degrees' date=' certainly not 90...[/quote']

I've used it to arrest sink at the bottom of a gun run to prevent pancaking into the ground. It's more of a panicked "yank nozzles back and apply full throttle" sort of thing than a coherent maneuver, though. :lol:

I`ve mostly used 40 degree nozzle but only for a quick 2- 3 sec`s which can bring you on top quickly with a tight 4-5 g turn, if you bleed to much energy your history...

i7 8086K(Delidded@5.2),ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula Z370,Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition, 32GB DDR4,860 Pro SSD x2,970 Pro M.2, 840 Evo, Asus ROG PG278Q G-Sync.. Rift S:pilotfly:https://imgur.com/a/TRIm7nL

I`ve mostly used 40 degree nozzle but only for a quick 2- 3 sec`s which can bring you on top quickly with a tight 4-5 g turn, if you bleed to much energy your history...
Harrier benefit is that you have higher acceleration variety than F-15C and you do wiffing pulling Max nozzles and pull 4-5G 90 degree turn down to dive.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

The l39 doesnt have the best ir misilles, they can't sustain more than 2 g

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE E1003 met Tapatalk

Missiles aren’t the problem - he usually takes me down with guns! I’m that bad, lol! :megalol:

I tried... and hell, I cant shot him down!!!

It’s crazy hard, isn’t it! I never would have thought that an L39 would be so formidable.

Viffing reduces speed until it builds up a cushion of air for VTOL as the speed is reduced at low level, it does not improve the turn rate in any way shape or form, you need that cushion of air before it would go upwards and that doesn't happen until you are VTOL so at speed Viffing is a speed brake and that's it.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

Compared to Harrier, L39 is an underpowered pig that will quickly loose all energy in a turn. If flown by a human pilot that is. DCS AI is a different matter altogether.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Viffing reduces speed until it builds up a cushion of air for VTOL as the speed is reduced at low level, it does not improve the turn rate in any way shape or form, you need that cushion of air before it would go upwards and that doesn't happen until you are VTOL so at speed Viffing is a speed brake and that's it.
Harrier pilots use it to make 90 degree push turn without bleeding speed too much so they get inside a turn.

They as well use nozzles for quick air breaking like in a top gun movie as you get in couple seconds from ie. 400kts to 250kts when you push nozzles over 90 degree.

--