2.5 MSAA/ANTISTROPIC FILTER

Goa

hi, i am running lates resahde version (jsut downloaded it today) but my settings for SMAA.fx ends at "corner roundig", i dont have the option of predication thresold/scale/strenght, where can i adjust these settings?

Same for me, see below. What version are you using? Mine is 3.1.1.

[sMAA.fx]
EdgeDetectionType=0
EdgeDetectionThreshold=0.000000
MaxSearchSteps=98
MaxSearchStepsDiagonal=16
CornerRounding=0
DebugOutput=0

[Deband.fx]
Threshold=0.004000
Range=16.000000
Iterations=1
Grain=0.006000

I use SMAA.fx and Deband.fx:

SMAA.fx:

Luminance Edge Detection

0.000 : Edge Detection Threshold

98 : Max Search Steps

16 : Max Search Steps Diagonal

0 : Corner Rounding

0.001 : Predication Threshold

0.600 : Predication Scale

0.400 : Predication Strength

Deband.fx:

0.004 : Cut Off Threshold

16.000 : Initial Radius

1 : Iterations

0.006 : Additional Noise

Thanks Mustang. Unfortunately, nothing at all changes with these settings.

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

hi, i am running lates resahde version (jsut downloaded it today) but my settings for SMAA.fx ends at "corner roundig", i dont have the option of predication thresold/scale/strenght, where can i adjust these settings?

Thanks!

Ah sorry I forgot about those settings, you can enable those by making an edit directly to the SMAA.fx file located in your reshade-shaders\Shaders folder (usually within your bin folder of DCS)

#define SMAA_PREDICATION 1

Thanks Mustang. Unfortunately, nothing at all changes with these settings.

There are certainly differences, over time you will notice them and once you turn SMAA off you will really tell the difference.

Edited by Mustang

Why use MSAA in VR? Go to the VR tab and set pixel resolution (over sampling) to 1.3 to 1.5. This will have a similar effect to MSAA.

Note: Your 2D screenshots will be affected from the lack of MSAA.

MSAA stops texture crawl and sparkling on the terrain, something PD won't cure

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

MSAA stops texture crawl and sparkling on the terrain, something PD won't cure

Agreed, I gots to have my MSAA. I will take it over higher PD.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There are certainly differences, over time you will notice them and once you turn SMAA off you will really tell the difference.

Mustang,

I've got your exact recommended settings and toggle them on and off in game and the amount of flickering doesn't change at all. I don't doubt those settings are working for you, but I assure you nothing changes at all in my particular setup. Do you use the in-game MSAA at all?

i9 9900k - GTX 2080 Ti - MSI Z87 GD65 Mobo - 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz - Win10 64 bit - TM Warthog w FSSB R3 mod - TrackIr 5.

Mustang,

I've got your exact recommended settings and toggle them on and off in game and the amount of flickering doesn't change at all. I don't doubt those settings are working for you, but I assure you nothing changes at all in my particular setup. Do you use the in-game MSAA at all?

I can confirm the SMAA in Reshade works, but the difference is negligible, and applies mostly to aircraft parts (turn it on/off while looking at the helicopter blades for example, when they're stationary on the ground, in external view).

Sadly, It will NOT fix the flickering/shimmering problem indeed, but that's expected from any primitive post-processing AA methods.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi Art,

I don't doubt that something happens when I enable SMAA, it's just that the results have no discernible impact on the overall quality of the graphics. My thought is that it has a pretty varied effect depending on hardware and drivers.

Can someone please give a step by step rundown on how to enable SMAA.sfx and Deband.sfx. I've never used Reshade. I have installed it into DCS, but don't know what to do from there. Thanks!

Hi - If you join my discord channel here https://discord.gg/vk2buyn I'd be glad to get you up and running with reshade.

Hi - If you join my discord channel here https://discord.gg/vk2buyn I'd be glad to get you up and running with reshade.

That would be awesome thanks. There might be a fairly inconvenient time difference though (UTC+8) and I have a 3 yo and 3 month old to wrangle during the day

Hi Art,

I don't doubt that something happens when I enable SMAA, it's just that the results have no discernible impact on the overall quality of the graphics. My thought is that it has a pretty varied effect depending on hardware and drivers.

Oh, no disagreement here on my side. I use SMAA + FXAA via Reshade as a cheap, pathetic alternative in place of disabled in-game MSAA only because they're better than no AA at all, but being barely visible that's about it.

Even 2xMSAA is miles ahead of these, with literally only a couple of fps penalty, but it induces way too much of the damn micro stuttering on my rig :(.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi Art,

Same - I've disabled deferred shading now and back to MSAA, but the sim looks terrible.

Nate

Same - I've disabled deferred shading now and back to MSAA, but the sim looks terrible.

Nate

Thats also what I use and I find especially the trees looking horrible, the rest I can live with.

But for the sake of performance, I hope that they can make the sim look better with Deffered shading off.

I have tried with MSAA set to off and the use Reshade, wich kind of AA the cockpit, but the terrin is still shimmering and with Deffred shading On, I get stutter (not low fps).

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Thats also what I use and I find especially the trees looking horrible, the rest I can live with.

But for the sake of performance, I hope that they can make the sim look better with Deffered shading off.

I have tried with MSAA set to off and the use Reshade, wich kind of AA the cockpit, but the terrin is still shimmering and with Deffred shading On, I get stutter (not low fps).

yeah

Yeah exactly, with it I get ok FPS but bit of stutter also. But the difference in using targeting pod is huge, gameplaywise, not performance unfortunately.

Intel I7 4790K, 32Gb DDR3, Nvidia RTX 2080, ADATA SX8200PNP 1TB,WD 500Gb SSD, Asus ROG SWIFT 27' 1440p G-Sync, Thrustmaster Warthog + TFRP Pedals

Well , next patch will fix these issues , least i hope.

Bit frustrating to run sim in 100-150fps easily in monitor but in VR its get slow and ugly.

But i waited years for 2.5 , so i can wait weeks or month to fixes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure you can download the latest version from here

https://reshade.me/

Yeah I guess it's because Reshade uses a dxgi.dll hook in order to function, something that VR devices cannot work with.

Does someone have a JSGME / OvGME compatible version of this ReShade mod and is very kind to give us a link :smartass:

Thanks in advance

My Mods: DCS User Files

Modules owned: EVERY Module :pilotfly:

No it's the same as 2.2 was, I turn MSAA off and use Reshade's SMAA.fx.

Is it comparable with MSAAx4 in the term of quality and performance?

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds

Is it comparable with MSAAx4 in the term of quality and performance?

Not remotely comparable in my experience running at 1440p. MSAA is way better but, with deferred shading on, causes a pretty severe performance hit. At 1440p I honestly could barely tell the difference switching SMAA on/off in reshade.

Not remotely comparable in my experience running at 1440p. MSAA is way better but, with deferred shading on, causes a pretty severe performance hit. At 1440p I honestly could barely tell the difference switching SMAA on/off in reshade.

Same here I'm afraid :(

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Asus TUF OC RTX 4090 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds