2.5 Release settings Rift.

spike2450

Hi all,

Can any Rift users share tneir VR settings for 2.5,. I've cleared my Options Lua file and started again and have gone back to Jabbers settings.

I know it is machine dependant, but good to know what you have found that improves the frame rate etc.

Edited by spike2450

load a local game on the tarmac, and go back and forth changing settings, in 30 mins to an hour, tell us your findings, I have to do this everytime a big update like this happens, use cntrl+pause to see fps and use that to judge

Edited by Drexx

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

I only had time to do a 10 min flight before I went to work but with out any settings changes I was getting around 25 fps which is a lot lower than before. And lower than 2.0

For some reason it was very smooth though. Odd. I'll play with some settings when I get home.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Please include the specs of your setup when telling the framerates etc. Simply CPU, GPU and display (VR or resolution).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

After tinkering with many settings, this is where I am satisfied enough to play. I am maintaining 45 fps in the Huey Free Flight mission that I was using to test with.

Deferred Shading was too much of a hit for me.

I have in game Pixel Density set to 1.3 which reduces jaggy edges enough for me with no MSAA.

Oculus Rift

Windows 10

i5 4690K @ 4.2 Ghz

GTX 980

16 GB RAM

DCS installed on SSD

Nvidia driver 390.77

Screen_180130_203653.png.318cb096380e5a81253eb18683880c67.png

Screen_180130_203812.thumb.png.71f9a44775f90706e4b9bf9d9161f7bf.png

These are my in game settings. With this I get a constant 45 FPS. Only dropped twice, both with the UH-1 and SA342 flying through the cities. Dropped to high 30's for a few seconds:

Textures: HIGH

Terrain: HIGH

Civ. Traffic: MED

Water: HIGH

VIS RGE: HIGH

Heat Blur: OFF

Shadows: HIGH

Res: 1280x768 (Because VR)

Resolution of Cockpit Displays: 1024

MSAA: OFF

DOF: OFF

Lens Effects: Dirt and Flare

Deferred Shading: ON

Cluuter/Grass: 0

Trees: 100%

Preload: 150000

Chimney Smoke: 4

Gamma: 1.7

AF: 16x

Terrain Objects Details: Default

Cockpit Global: ON

VR Settings

PD: 1.6

Nvidia Profile Inspector Settings. I am using MFAA at 4x. Sorry if it's hard to see, screen shots suck on a 4k monitor when trying to increase size. Profile says DCS 1.5 but it is for 2.5, just reattached DCS.exe from the new install yesterday.

settings_zpsf5dzasyv.jpg

settings_zpsplmxkavt.pngsettings_zpsplmxkavt.png

Edited by Spetz

Quick question, in the 1.5 and 2.2 version there was a possibility to make a shortcut with "--force_disable_VR" so you could start the game without VR when you're rift was detected.

However, when I add this to the new shortcuts, it gives me "invalid command".

Anyone tried this and perhaps a fix?

Quick question, in the 1.5 and 2.2 version there was a possibility to make a shortcut with "--force_disable_VR" so you could start the game without VR when you're rift was detected.

However, when I add this to the new shortcuts, it gives me "invalid command".

Anyone tried this and perhaps a fix?

I use Skates app

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ditto here, excellent tool and works well with 2.5.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

These are my in game settings. With this I get a constant 45 FPS. Only dropped twice, both with the UH-1 and SA342 flying through the cities. Dropped to high 30's for a few seconds:

Textures: HIGH

Terrain: HIGH

Civ. Traffic: MED

Water: HIGH

VIS RGE: HIGH

Heat Blur: OFF

Shadows: HIGH

Res: 1280x768 (Because VR)

Resolution of Cockpit Displays: 1024

MSAA: OFF

DOF: OFF

Lens Effects: Dirt and Flare

Deferred Shading: ON

Cluuter/Grass: 0

Trees: 100%

Preload: 150000

Chimney Smoke: 4

Gamma: 1.7

AF: 16x

Terrain Objects Details: Default

Cockpit Global: ON

VR Settings

PD: 1.6

Nvidia Profile Inspector Settings. I am using MFAA at 4x. Sorry if it's hard to see, screen shots suck on a 4k monitor when trying to increase size. Profile says DCS 1.5 but it is for 2.5, just reattached DCS.exe from the new install yesterday.

settings_zpsf5dzasyv.jpg

settings_zpsplmxkavt.pngsettings_zpsplmxkavt.png

Im guessing you haven't heard that nvidia inspector settings do not effect VR?

i7-6700k @ 4.69Ghz / 1080GTX +10% / MSI z270 Gaming M7 / Oculus CV1 VR / 16GB DDR4 2850Hz / Corsair H100i v2 / CH Products

I've cleared the files too. Not sure if they did anything, but good practice Im guessing...maybe helped with trees rendering, not sure.

Im at 90fps with a 1.0pd in an empty map with the following settings and Deferred Shading On. Just enjoying flying around. Also, the trees I recently went to 100 with no ill effects

5lywkx.jpg

i7-6700k @ 4.69Ghz / 1080GTX +10% / MSI z270 Gaming M7 / Oculus CV1 VR / 16GB DDR4 2850Hz / Corsair H100i v2 / CH Products

Why your and others option menu is curved? For me its completely flat. How to get it curved?

Anyone here with 1060 6gb ? Still tuning settings, not yet figured settings to get smooth 45fps like in 1.5.x or 2.2 Nevada

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

**Disregard this post and go HERE for a full thread with updated information.

After a lot of research, I think I've found the sweet spot for my system. I tested in a map that I created specifically for the purpose. There are a lot of F10 radio commands you can use to add and remove assets, etc. I'll post it up in user files as soon as I tweak it a bit.

MY SYSTEM:

i7-5960x, 16g RAM, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 850 pro 1Tb SSD (dedicated), Samsung 850 pro 500Gb OS drive, Oculus Rift CV1.

TESTING NOTE:

Before testing I deleted the files from "..\Saved Games\DCS\FXO and .\metashaders". I don't know why DCS acts up if these files aren't purged periodically, but it can make a big difference.

attachment.php?attachmentid=177438&stc=1&d=1517549235

PREFACE:

I'm not going to bore you with my logic for each and every setting in the pic, as most of it is personal preference. I will say that Grass = FULL is not good for FPS, but I fly low level a lot and I think it looks sweet. Most other settings are a compromise between quality and performance.

SWEET SPOT INGREDIENTS:

VR PD = 1.2

MSAA = 2x

Anisotropic Filtering = 2x

Deferred Shading = ON

Terrain Shadows = FLAT

Cockpit Global Illumination = ON

MSAA DISCUSSION:

I know most people keep MSAA off, and I used to in VR as well, but the key is that if you lower your VR PD to 1.2, MSAA does not create a big performance hit. PD being at 1.2 has very little effect on the clarity of the gauges *as long as* you have MSAA at 2x and AF at 2x. With PD at 1.2 and MSAA off the world is jagged and the gauges are blurry.

HIGH QUALITY HIGH PERFORMANCE:

With the combination of PD 1.2, MSAA 2x, and AF 2x, and Deferred shading on, the graphics quality is superb and there's no lag or edge bleed in VR. My FPS is 90 in an empty NTTR map, and doesn't decrease to 45 until I have a few dozen active assets in map or fly into Vegas. My average minimum FPS is 45 stable and doesn't get lower until I throw something crazy at it (like having 5 Bones drop a few hundred MK-82s at once), and even then it only drops down to 30 for a few seconds then it's right back up to 45. I'm sure I could tweak it to maintain 90 FPS, but I'm not willing to compromise the high quality graphics. What ED has achieved really is quite breathtaking (exceeds shorn scrotum).

PRELOAD RADIUS:

You'll notice that my Preload Radius slider is all the way left. I've read a lot of posts recently about how people are resolving issues by decreasing this setting. I decided to investigate and retested with several values. The more I slid it back, the better my performance got. I ended up with it at minimum. Take note though, that I am using a very fast SSD which is dedicated to DCS. You may not get the same results. I would check it at 25% increments and retest. Perhaps the cache mechanism is broken right now, or was interfered with by a recent OS update.. who knows.

LOW END SYSTEMS:

Also, be aware that going above HIGH for Vis Range is a big performance hit, and really doesn't do much anyway. If your system isn't high end and you need to squeeze some more FPS out of it, make these settings different than mine:

Vis Range = Medium

Terrain Textures = Medium

Heat Blur = OFF

Shadows = Medium

Grass = OFF

Chimney Density = 1

VRsettings_20180201.thumb.png.d63e693d4ddaa9c88c92de7e049a4a36.png

Edited by StrongHarm
  • Like 1

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm