2.5 update first impressions

Zimmerdylan

Specs: Intel Core i7-4790k 4GHz, GTX 960 8GB, 16GB ram.

Tried 2.5 briefly on day one. General framereate boost of about 10-20 fps in most circumstances. Really appreciated the subtle undulations of terrain flying low in the huey. Dogfight range spotting also seemed to have improved in my single test of the F5 Air to Air instant action.

However, currently these improvements are rendered moot by the huge FPS drop I get at low altitudes in forested areas. Any nearby concentration of trees consistently drops my FPS from 60 or better into the mid 20's or lower. It is only the high detail trees at close range that seem to be a problem.

Tried messing with the tree visibility slider but because it is only the close, high detail trees that are an issue. I have to turn the slider down to 50% or more for even a minor improvement in FPS. This causes horrible pop in for trees and and is a worse solution than turning them off entirely. Really I find anything between 0 and 80% horribly distracting with the pop in.

Would really appreciate an additional graphics setting to reduce the maximum LOD on trees.

Bottom line: Still positive about 2.5 on day 1 of beta but my biggest problem in the game has gone from spotting aircraft to simply being able to fly low over trees.

Edit: Largely alleviated this problem by changing Terrain Object Shadows to flat. Took Huey out for a test flight and found myself on a zen-like, Wags style flight up a wooded river surrounded by gently rolling hills with trains passing by on the river bank. Truly idyllic. Combat gives DCS its teeth but many of its best qualities have nothing to do with blowing stuff up.

Edited by Dongle

Would really appreciate an additional graphics setting to reduce the maximum LOD on trees.

+1

Now you are talking, that would be a great solution and make a massive difference to low and slow flight over forests.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

My PC spec's are:Intel Core i5-6300HQ (2,3 GHz up to 3,2 GHz 6MB cache); RAM 8GB DDR4; Video GeForce GTX960M 4GB GDDR5.

With this I was running 1.5.8 in maximum settings without any problems. Will I be abble to run 2.5 too?

Try it, your DDRam of 8Gb could be a bit more. 16Gb are recommended...but it would be great to see how 8 gb are handling this. I´d recommand to play around with the settings. It would on the other side nice if you could share your experiences then, for others with similar Components.

My Components in example are a bit similar to yours, at least for the CPU. I run the FX 8350 which is a bit less capable then yours, but my GFX card (r9 380) is a bit stronger than yours.

That was my first impression of 2.5.

Unfortunately my System seems to be insufficient for 2.5 now. By having an A-10C on Ground in a small mission, I had roundabout 50 - 70 Frames. That applies for 1.5.8. In 2.2.0 I had roundabout 40-50 Frames ...on NTTR Map.

First try now drops that rate down to 12 on Caucasus, with all the exact same settings. Still have to check for Nevada though.

with these settings ingame I run the Game now between 30 and 40 FPS...depending on the complexity of the mission of course...sometimes it drops below 30 but it wont stutter anymore until I get my new rig.

EDIT: I recommend to uncheck the "Full Screen" option if you use a second Monitor

cu5KBGt.png

Edited by MemphisBelle
added a hint

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Fast impressions of 2.5 after a few hours (pretty much only visuals):

Overall, I quite like the new 2.5 version. Speed trees are fantastic. Performance seems to be very good though there are some odd issues where for no apparent reason fps drops to HALF when looking the trees from left/right in the cockpit...also, AI and missiles seem to work fine as far as I can tell. Having EVERYTHING under one roof is AMAZING finally. Many improvements for many modules, etc.

However, there are a few things I found that didnt like at all:

-Water color is worse than 2.2...why did they touched what was PERFECT?¿?¿?:cry:...Normandy water looked sooooooooooooo beautiful and realistic, now its way too dark (almost pitch black when looking down :huh:), and it remembers the 2.1.1 water. It looks like the light reflection/absortion of the water has been tamed down a lot so it looks now too muted and isolated of the rest of the environement...2.2 water was perfect!!

2.5:

1517488709-dcs-2018-01-31-18-22-19-81.jpg

-Nevada colors are much darker and have a "plastic look" now, before they looked much better.

-They touched the haze once again, now horizon line is more harsh and the sky doesnt blend with the terrain as nice as in 2.2. This means also that visibility is again way too good or far.

2.2:

1517488089-dcs-2018-01-31-19-57-03-81.jpg

2.5:

1517488093-dcs-2018-01-31-18-15-19-68.jpg

-lighting seems downgraded a bit...dusk and dawn sky light has less impact in the color and in the global haze erasing part of the natural look (2.2 was PERFECT)

2.2:

1517488094-dcs-2017-12-20-22-45-25-82.jpg

2.5:

1517488095-dcs-2018-01-31-20-21-13-07.jpg

-Trees in Normandy blends much worse with the landscape. 2.2 had again, a perfect mix between drawing distance and LoD, together with a great masking of the far away trees giving the impression of a smooth and natural fade of them. Now you can clearly see a hard line where trees start rendering. (this also happens somewhat with the new Speed trees, though only when looking at the backlight).

-ME fog, is still not working properly...it looks too yellowish and still not fade smooth in the horizon. Also, transition between inside and outside of it is weird and also still too dense even in the higher visibility level available.

-Trees shadows still move as you get closer to them, especially in the new Caucasus mountains (in an almost vertical cliff, they look horizontally projected). This is a VERY old issue I expected to be finally solved in 2.5 but looks like not the case yet.

I havent had much more time to see the changes, but so far, those are the things I noticed...I LOVED the 2.2 update (visuals), but 2.5 seems to be a step backwards in this regard :cry:...please ED, bring back that nice water and terrain-sky blend. Other than that, everything seems to work better and looks like there are many new things I need time to test.

Thanks!!

Take a look at my MODS here

Smoking vehicle smoke density ?

Ok was really looking forward to all the bells and whistles of 2.5 and after seeing the awesome video for the F18 and the big plumes of smoke coming off of burning objects ... was disappointed when I finally fired up 2.5 and with my trust harrier went and rifled a BTR -80 and got the lamest smoke effect I've ever seen.. now went back into the graphics options and saw chimney smoke density slider ! but nothing for the smoke on carnage of destroyed vehicles... when they make these cool promotional videos they must dress up the smoke effects.. cause I sure don't see them...

Sorry, yes thanks for 2.5 it looks great and runs smooth on my paltry mobility 880m

Ok was really looking forward to all the bells and whistles of 2.5 and after seeing the awesome video for the F18 and the big plumes of smoke coming off of burning objects ... was disappointed when I finally fired up 2.5 and with my trust harrier went and rifled a BTR -80 and got the lamest smoke effect I've ever seen.. now went back into the graphics options and saw chimney smoke density slider ! but nothing for the smoke on carnage of destroyed vehicles... when they make these cool promotional videos they must dress up the smoke effects.. cause I sure don't see them...

Sorry, yes thanks for 2.5 it looks great and runs smooth on my paltry mobility 880m

The big smoke plumes in the videos are special static objects placed in the editor. You can use them too when building a mission. They are not from destroyed vehicles.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Bottom line: Still positive about 2.5 on day 1 of beta but my biggest problem in the game has gone from spotting aircraft to simply being able to fly low over trees.

The forests are very dense. I like it but FPS > eye candy. If it would help increasing the FPS I wouldn't mind a less dense forests (maybe in specific areas) instead of cutting the Tree distance with the slider. Don't know if this is possible with SpeedTree, just thinking out loud :)

FPS is pretty OK for, around ~40 FPS flying tree top level in heli but I would help ppl with less HW. I have pretty much same spec as you and have.

Edited by KeyCat

The forests are very dense. I like it but FPS > eye candy. If it would help increasing the FPS I wouldn't mind a less dense forests (maybe in specific areas) instead of cutting the Tree distance with the slider. Don't know if this is possible with SpeedTree, just thinking out loud smile.gif

FPS is pretty OK for, around ~40 FPS flying tree top level in heli but I would help ppl with less HW. I have pretty much same spec as you and have.

I was able to mostly fix this issue by changing Terrain Object Shadows to flat. Edited my prior post to reflect that. As said there, when I went out to test the change I ended up on a zen-like wooded river flight a la Wags' videos getting about 40-50fps.

First impressions after a few hours flying in the Caucasus, mostly in the south but also a bit in the north.

TREES!!!! Love 'em. They look and feel very natural and greatly enhance the sensation of speed in low level flight. Beyond the excitement of that, however, I'm a bit disappointed.

The Caucasus area has always lacked a sense of place but the old map, at least, used regional textures that allowed you to discern some of the geography underlying the human impact. You could actually see mud volcano textures up in the Taman; the cinder cones in the south tended (whether by happy accident or design) to be shades of grey and brown. Now these textures appear to be gone, seemingly replaced by more uniform textures with less regional differentiation lending even less sense of place.

I thought I'd like the improved mesh. In many ways I do but, in some ways, I also like it less. The jaggedness of some of the mountain areas is gone. Everything is more rounded and actually looks less like the real mountain topography of the area. Also seemingly gone are the glacier textures. The area is littered with glaciers. They used to exist in the sim but I'm not seeing them now. They seem to have been replaced by a snow line. Green below, white above.

And finally, the towns and cities now seem more generic and bland than ever as they stand in blocky contrast to the trees and more uniform grassiness. Oh well. I'll get used to it I'm sure as I continue to fly. Change is always difficult. :)

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Very nice so far. Messing around with settings and deleting options.lua left me with fairly high settings and stable 30+ FPS. I started messing around with mission building and so far it handles things well. I was going to load some of my older Caucuses missions, but I seemed to have replaced them. I was planning on rebuilding some for 2.5 so I guess I'll just get on that early.

I also noticed that Crimea isn't a barren wasteland anymore. Obviously it's not to the same level as Georgia, but there is actually something to see when flying over the area.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Very nice so far. Messing around with settings and deleting options.lua left me with fairly high settings and stable 30+ FPS. I started messing around with mission building and so far it handles things well. I was going to load some of my older Caucuses missions, but I seemed to have replaced them. I was planning on rebuilding some for 2.5 so I guess I'll just get on that early.

I also noticed that Crimea isn't a barren wasteland anymore. Obviously it's not to the same level as Georgia, but there is actually something to see when flying over the area.

Does deleting options.lua clear out only video attributes or does it also wipe your controller profiles?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Does deleting options.lua clear out only video attributes or does it also wipe your controller profiles?

Only graphics options, did it this morning myself definitely helped some on my end. But my options lua file was created in 2015 also. It needed to be purged lol.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

The big smoke plumes in the videos are special static objects placed in the editor. You can use them too when building a mission. They are not from destroyed vehicles.

Ok thanks didn't know that... hopefully can add the old big smoke LUA files and they still work with 2.5 , what will it take to add a slider for more vehicle smoke ??

Cool. I'll have to check it out. I've avoided overflying it now for the longest time because its barrenness made me cry.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Was flying out of Sochi in a Mustang in the mountains. Yes, the view was awesome.

However, I looked around for a place to land if I had engine failure (old habit but a good one in real life) but there were all these trees everywhere! In the Canadian North, we have the same problem. Real life sucks, you know. Now, so do all those trees in 2.5.

PLEASE note: I am KIDDING!!!!!

:)

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

Only graphics options, did it this morning myself definitely helped some on my end. But my options lua file was created in 2015 also. It needed to be purged lol.
Mines from like 2011 lol so yea I just set VR and then put everything on high. I should do the same today. Hopefully it will look a bit nicer.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

My control settings weren't deleted, so it only wipes your graphics settings.

Cool. I'll have to check it out. I've avoided overflying it now for the longest time because its barrenness made me cry.

Yeah. I made a few missions flying around the area in previous versions. Now I might be inclined to remake them and add a few hundred static objects to sort of rebuild the cities from LOMAC.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I couldn't possibly list everything I love about 2.5, but here's a couple of points:

- Caucasus in 2.5 runs way better than in 1.5

- I love the new terrain mesh, mountains are much more detailed

- The flak! Finally the puffs linger and it looks AWESOME!

- The snow: The winter map looks amazing, and the snow has a beautiful satin texture

- The cockpit lighting: no more illuminated areas in the shadow, looks super realistic (except from some oversaturated reds in the Sabre cockpit.

I could go on, but I'll just say : Thank you!

• Like 1

I just finished downloading last night at around 4AM. I quickly booted it up and placed a Su27 on the new map, added a few weather parameters (dynamic weather + fog), maxed out everything and flew with keyboard and mouse. OMG..it looks amazing. The performance is great...felt smooth and man...the Su27 speculars have been updated and looks incredible. The speed tree system is amazing. The trees look so good now. Man..and the cockpit lighting is incredible too. Love it ED. You guys should be proud. THis is just amazing. I cant wait to see what you have in progress from here. Not to mention, finally there is access to training missions again and I can continue learning some new aircraft lol.

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

Awesome experience

I'm impressed! A great sim is even better. I just had a free flight for a couple of minutes just enjoying my Su25T. I also found out that vsync helped a lot for my performance (i7 4Ghz, Nvidia 1070) because altough i had 60-80 fps, the game was not fluid. I disabled ingame AA and enabled it on Nvidia settings in windows.

Everything looks great in 2.5. I play at 3440 X 1440 resolution and my frame rates have improved and stabilized over Caucasus. I really like the look of the snow in winter. The one thing that's really bothering me though is the stuttering. Its now very frequent and really is ruining the experience for me. Any advice to resolve appreciated.

Edit: Forget what I said about stuttering. I just restarted DCS (after some minor graphics settings tweaks) and flew close to the same fast mission over beautiful snowy Caucasus without any stuttering at all. I'd bet it was the restart of DCS that solved my stuttering and not the minor tweaks I made. Back to enjoying the scenery.

Edited by MileHiRyder
New Info

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass, Asus Rog Maximus IX Hero Z270, Intel Core I7 - 7700K, Gskill TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4 3200, MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB, Seagate BarraCuda 3TB, NZXT Kraken X62, Corsair RM750X, Windows 10 Home, Asus ROG PG348Q 34” 3440 x 1440 100hz curved IPS G-Sync monitor, Saitek X52 Pro Hotas, TrackIR V5

Nice update but still not awesome yet.

VR performance is not smooth enough, but i hope that ed will tune it more.

And AI flying trough trees is horrible , wonder how this was noticed only now :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Saddled a 100% fueled Mustang with wing tanks from Batumi and flew until the night took over and I was running on the last wing tank. Flew high and low, fast and slow, over the sea and forests, cities and mountains. Being a sim veteran since 2002, this was the ultimate experience.

DCS is awesome. Gotta buy more RAM though.