Massive issues(runtimehalt) people joining & leaving MP server, Texture/Model related

Drexx

I run the Dynamic Caucasus mission which has a big population on it a lot of the time. When people load onto the server or leave, the server run timer ( that runs upward when you check it in the, left ctrl + pause), halts and FORCES everyone on the server to LOAD that texture or model at that time. It is hurting game play a lot, anyone flying a heli or low flying plane is ultimately crashing because of it.

I go to turn off the switching of skins option (which allowed some of the 8 gig of memory players to play), and it helped the situation a little bit.

I don't really want to setup an aircraft graveyard to preload all these skins and models (making the server take a VERY long time to load in. My busy server (with small 600kb mission file), takes a long time to load in as it is), I just don't want the load times to get worse (im guessing its syncing all the dead ground carcass (I wish I could remove these to allow clients to sync quicker...))

We had this big pauses in 1.5.8 also.

Just some findings, it is hurting the fun of the game. and needs to be addressed

-Drex

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

• ED Team

Hi Guys

we are looking into it

Please post your logs from any crash

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

It doesn't crash, just laggs HARD!, everyone freezes in place for 5-7 secs every time someone loads into a new plane or heli model (or changes the skin) - its something to do model/texture memory/cache loading. , server is i7-7700k, DD4 32 gigs of ram, m.2 SSD its a top of the line machine with new hardware for the server on a gig fiber connection

I know your looking into it, launching a big version like this is a big deal, Having an absolute blast in it (especially VR and the trees), just trying to help make it better lol

Edited by Drexx

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

• ED Team

which is why it was put into open beta first, to find these issue.

Edited by BIGNEWY

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team

Lets get this bug reported with as much information as we can

this isnt a blame game, off topic posts will be removed

• ED Team

to help with the freeze when players join a server you can add each of the aircraft as uncontrolled, it helps when people join in new aircraft

to help with the freeze when players join a server you can add each of the aircraft as uncontrolled, it helps when people join in new aircraft

Server load times are very long as is. Usually requires a second attempt to join because the first attempt fails and kicks you back to the server list. Also wrecks of planes and vehicles do not despawn over time or have a limit further increasing load times.

Edited by Skarp

• ED Team

Different bugs should have a new thread, dont clutter this one with other issues

thanks

I think server load times are related to a memory issue with the game. everyone who joins sees a huge spike maxing the memory usage and crashes/kicks you back to the server list. After Drex put in the static units of the planes/skins I can no longer join his server because of the memory issue. The only way I was able to was by turning down the textures to medium. Crash logs attached. Probably related to why there are huge stutters when someone loads a skin.

dcs.log-20180201-113503.zip

dcs.log-20180201-095420.zip

dcs.log-20180131-234648.zip

Edited by Skarp

• ED Team

thanks for the logs,

Yes, especially first time loading, shaders will need to be loaded.

@Bignewy,:

If there is no crash (which hasn't happened to me yet -- experiencing 3-7 sec. freeze upon someone loading new plane/skin -- however it does cause me to crash...) how do we get you a "log." It's fairly easy to test. Just watch the drive you play the game from pull the memory. Really noticeable on HDDs, SSDs are better yet still noticeable.

I think server load times are related to a memory issue with the game. everyone who joins sees a huge spike maxing the memory usage and crashes/kicks you back to the server list. After Drex put in the static units of the planes/skins I can no longer join his server because of the memory issue. The only way I was able to was by turning down the textures to medium. Crash logs attached. Probably related to why there are huge stutters when someone loads a skin.

+1 to this issue, 8 Gig players are getting pretty shafted by 2.5, wonder why this was not an issue in 1.5.8 unless they completely redid the way skins are handled.

A10C - Block 5+7, AV8B/NA Harrier, F-14B.

Pentium G4560, GTX 1050Ti, 20GB's total, 1x16GB Kingston Hyper X, And a 1x4GB Avexir Core Series kit, fleamarket mouse/keyboard, i swear it works fine :megalol:

"shafted" ? 8 GB players should make sure their pagefile is set to 16 GB afaik, otherwise HDD/SSD activity may be quite high? (I just found out my multiplayer crashes could be related to my pagefile manually set to 16 MB, yes, lol, will try 32 GB pagefile now)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Dirty what's ur pagefile set to? Is your pagefile on SSD?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

And res. of cockpit display to lowest, 256, try that. (water low and shadows off, tried that?)