How to move saved games folder to different drive?

fargo007

Right click on the Saved Games folder and select Properties. From there you select Location tab and there you can move the folder. It will ask you if you want to move all the files inside - click yes.

Warning - when moving the folder, make sure to "create" the new folder there. If for example you choose the new path to be only something like D: (hard drive) it will dump all the files to D: and not create the Saved Games folder. (hope I'm making myself clear)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

• 10 months later...

+1

Thanks

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic, 

• 1 year later...
Right click on the Saved Games folder and select Properties. From there you select Location tab and there you can move the folder. It will ask you if you want to move all the files inside - click yes.

Warning - when moving the folder, make sure to "create" the new folder there. If for example you choose the new path to be only something like D: (hard drive) it will dump all the files to D: and not create the Saved Games folder. (hope I'm making myself clear)

I did that mistake, before I read your post. I lost my Saved Games folder at C:\Users\name\... and the game can't find its needed files.

Feel the need, the need for speed forum.jpg

I feel the need...the need for speed. Highway...to the danger zone. Gonna take you right into the danger zone.

MB ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer, CPU i5 4690, GPU MSI GTX 970 4GB, RAM Corsair Vengeance blue 24GB, SSD Samsung EVO 860 500GB, T16000M FCS Hotas, PS3 cam with Opentrack.

What jeff_peters said...you must manually create a saved games folder and allow the file/folder structure to load into it.

If you screw up as I did the first time by not creating a saved games folder you need to change your shortcuts as well as an entry in the registry. If you hate the messy look of the relocation you need to take a backup of the saved games folder and do it manually.

The Windows registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World - Path value

Another way is:

Go into your Saved Games folder and just move that "DCS.openbeta" or "DCS" (stable) folder to where you want it with a name to your liking, example (my case): E:\DCS World User (E is my first games drive).

Then hit [Win], type cmd, right click the thing and open as admin. Type

cd sa [tab] - this should autocomplete to 'cd "Saved Games"', hit Enter. Then type:

mklink /j DCS.openbeta "E:\DCS World User" (for OB) or

mklink /j DCS "E:\DCS World User" (for Stable) and hit Enter.

This will create a junction that points to your new location, but anything that tries to find the data in it's original location will find them as usual as long as the junction is set up with the exact name and the target folder does exist with the files in it. Works perfectly well and I've been using this a lot due to limited space on my C drive in the past or to move things from a limited SSD over to a bigger HDD in case I needed to free up space there.

• Thanks 2

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/31/2018 at 10:01 AM, NineLine said:

Yes it should.

So, Sir:

What do you do when you install DCS to say the D drive and it places the contents of dcs.openbeta (which should go into the saved games folder of the C drive) directly onto the E Drive?

I've re-installed twice and this is the issue both times.  This has never happened before.

• 4 months later...

I am interested in moving mine as well to another drive. If I move it to say the D drive and I wipe the C drive and have to reinstall DCS on the C drive. Would I then just redirect the saved folder in the C to my folder on the D drive? If so will it try to over write those files or will all my info be saved and used as it was before?

21 hours ago, Storm_ctrl said:

I am interested in moving mine as well to another drive. If I move it to say the D drive and I wipe the C drive and have to reinstall DCS on the C drive. 1. Would I then just redirect the saved folder in the C to my folder on the D drive? 2. If so will it try to over write those files or will all my info be saved and used as it was before?

1. yes

2. the system will ask in the case of any conflict like same filenames during copying files

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria