DCS 2.5 Freezes

MAD-MM

With 2.2 Patch before Christmas my trouble begun, have consistent sometime more sometimes less Game Freezes that is still there after upgrading to 2.5

Was exclusive flying so far Normandy Map since then.

In the mean Time I am upgraded from a GTX 970 to a 1070 8GB a lot of different Nvidia driver Game Freezes still there.

Only get this Failed.ofsh file nothing more why should tell the Pictures.

The Game freezes in the moment of shooting down the P-51 was just randomly.

Sometimes in Multiplayer the Game comes back with Alt+Tab

It switches between Black DCS 2.5 Screen and the Frozen In game Picture.

WIN7 Professional

I7 3770K (Hyper threading deactivated)

32 GB DDR3 Ram

GTX 1070 8GB Ram

Zwischenablage01.thumb.jpg.248a68ff089f4a43bf3474eb89de13e0.jpg

DxDiag.txt

Edited by MAD-MM

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also experiencing game freezes in 2.5 with the last sound still playing and no crash log generated. It seems to be related to FOV settings. The default FOV in most modules is 140. When I reduce the FOV to 130, I no longer get freezes. I've been testing it since 2.5 came out and any FOV greater than 130 and it freezes.

Running a 5760x1080 triple monitor configuration.

PC

i7 7700k

Gigabyte Z270

MSI GTX 1070

32gb DDR4

500gb EVO 850 SSD DCS

500gb EVO 960 NVMe SSD Windows

The ravens server has had a lot of large freezes in MP, only when someone joins

Not all the time but in the 9 hours I have flown since the release we have had 5-6 lasting 30 seconds at a time.

No logs or crash so no logs, just large freezing. SOund continues and when the freeze stops, well you have crashed your plane lol

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

Freeze also.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

I've had these game freezes since release of Normandy map when I started using DCS 2.x versions. Several other people have been reporting the same.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=196211

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189729

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=188804

I believe that it is a fundamental problem in ED's new game engine; Some game engine threads get out of synch or stuck. A watchdog expires and they try to re-start the main graphics engine. That fails and the result is a game freeze. If the re-start of the main graphics engine works ok, all you see is a bit of stutter.... but not being anyway related to ED or their SW development team, this is all of course pure speculation.

The only thing that has helped me is to;

- limiting max FOV to 120 - 130 (.lua file edit for CameraViewAngleLimits) and

- setting nVidia control panel setting max pre-rendered frames to 3.

to me that is not a fix, but a workaround that at least in my case helps a bit. In the end ED need to fix their code.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

We should not have to edit any file to get the game to work.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

=&arrFilter_pf[gameversion]=&arrFilter_pf[filelang]=&arrFilter_pf[aircraft]=&arrFilter_CREATED_USER_NAME=chardly38&set_filter=Filter&set_filter=Y"]MY SKINS And Helios

i7 2600k 3.4 quad w/ Hyper N520 cpu fan_, Asus Sabertooth z77_, RX 580_, Corsair Vengeance 1800 8Gb ram_, 112 OCZ Vertex 3_, Corsair HX 1000, 3 screens res 5292x1050_,and 1 1680x1050 Helios Ir Tracker 5 with Pro Clip_,Hotas Warthog#12167 ...

I too get freezing of the sim.

For me, 1.5 would occasionally stutter. 2.0 after 5 min or so would lock up hard and the fans on my vid (i believe) would all of the sudden sky rocket in rpms like it wanted to fly out of my machine....had to do hard reboots at that point.

2.5 is like a split for me between 1.5 and 2.2, it stutters a bit here and there, i get whatever amount of flight time but at some point it locks up on me.

I have a GTX 1080 with the latest drivers..just got it this past xmas.

Is this freezing problem only happening to people with Nvidia vid cards?

Loving 2.5 and DCS as a whole...just like everyone else, frustrated with the game locking up.

WITH ENOUGH THRUST, LIFT IS IRRELEVANT!

Would also be interested if this mostly happens to people with more than one monitor? I have three. If you post here please also mention the number of monitors. Maybe also the map? Have not tested NTTR yet, but in 2.2 I could fly NTTR pretty well but Caucasus in 2.5 gives me regular freezes after very few minutes.

Freezes all the hw assembly regardless of the number of monitors or used graphics.

Intel Core

1x i7 - 8700k

1x i7 - 7700k

1x i7 - 6700k

4x i7 - 4790k

1x i7 - 4790

1x i7 - 3930K

1x i7 - 3770

1x i7 - 2600K

1x i7 - 950

1x i5 - 2400

Graphics Nvidia

2x GTX 1080 Ti

1x GTX 1080

3x GTX 1070

1x GTX 980 Ti

2x GTX 980

2x GTX 970

1x GTX 960

Graphics AMD Radeon

1x RX 580

🖥️MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4, Kingston 3600 MHz 64 Gb, i5 12600K, Gigabyte RTX 4090, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus,🕹️VKB NXT Premium.

Would also be interested if this mostly happens to people with more than one monitor? I have three. If you post here please also mention the number of monitors. Maybe also the map? Have not tested NTTR yet, but in 2.2 I could fly NTTR pretty well but Caucasus in 2.5 gives me regular freezes after very few minutes.

I have three monitors (1 camera, 5760x1080) with conservative graphics settings and I too get freezes after 10 minutes or so on the Caucasus map (multi-player or single-player). It runs quite nicely (40-90 fps) until it locks up, with the sound still running.

FOV: 140

Def. Shading: On

HDR: Off

MSAA: Off

SSAO: Off

Aniso. Filter: Off

Terr. Shadows: Flat

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz

GPU: ASUS GTX1080 (8GB VRAM) Driver: 388.13 (latest is 390.65)

RAM: 16GB

I haven't played around with other maps a lot yet or installed the latest driver yet; that's my next goal.

Same here. I get game freeze and have to use task manager to kill the DCS process. It seems to get out of sync. I get 1 or 2 more frames at increasingly long times till it finally stops. There's still activity judging by the activity on the various cores of the CPU.

I have 2 monitors, but am running DCS on one only.

As far as I can tell, it seems to happen to me during missions when something new getting spawned gets triggered.

Example: Mission 1 for Piercing Fury after I get the 9-line and the 'red' smoke is to be popped.

Edit:

Anther way to cause the freeze, in my situation: Use Active Pause.

When I've used Active Pause and then un-Active Paused, I can count on getting a freeze a few minutes later.

Edited by Scratchy
One more thing

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just spent my Sunday morning with some research on this. All was done on the first A-10C instant action mission in caucasus. I made some experiments with differnet graphic settings, deferred shading on / off and lowering bushes and trees. Bottom line ist nothing seems to help. Sometime a session runs longer, sometimes not... seems really random. First I thought that it usually happens while I play and that it lasts longer if I "do nothing" and just orbit, but this was also a wrong assumption.

After my graphic settings experiment I set everything back to normal and did 10 runs where I just climbed to approx 6000 feet and orbit there for 20 minutes... I get 10 freezes out of 10 (yay!) Below you ca see in Minutes how long it took DCS to freeze. As I said, all I did is orbiting in ~6000 feet height and then going afk and do something else in Real Life (so no looking around or anything ingame)

17m

5m

15m

2m

2m

7m

2m

17m

4m

2m

absolutely unplayable... :(

Edited by Ayindi

I have three monitors (1 camera, 5760x1080) with conservative graphics settings and I too get freezes after 10 minutes or so on the Caucasus map (multi-player or single-player). It runs quite nicely (40-90 fps) until it locks up, with the sound still running.

FOV: 140

Def. Shading: On

HDR: Off

MSAA: Off

SSAO: Off

Aniso. Filter: Off

Terr. Shadows: Flat

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz

GPU: ASUS GTX1080 (8GB VRAM) Driver: 388.13 (latest is 390.65)

RAM: 16GB

I haven't played around with other maps a lot yet or installed the latest driver yet; that's my next goal.

UPDATE:

I installed the latest NVidea driver 390.65 and tried the Spitfire twice again on the Caucasus map in single player (Instant Action, Takeoff). Logs for test 1 and 2 are attached.

Test 1, FOV=140

The screen froze after 30 seconds of looking around before takeoff.

Test 2, FOV=125

The screen froze after about 4 minutes of flying in formation with one of the AI Spitfires.

dcs logs.zip

Did some more testing today and setting the FOV to 120 seems to be the only workaround for now... :( I also noticed that running with FOV120 has actually removed ANY stuttering. Can anyone confirm this? Besides the freezes I had some remarkable stutter with FOV140. With FOV120 all seems very smooth. FPS was always good, but with stuttering I mean thos strange little hickups, that appear from time to time.

In case you are a triple screen user I think I found an acceptable solution to run triple screen with FOV120 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201601 Maybe it will help you to ease your pain for the time being.

Edited by Ayindi

Well I’m totally frustrated I’ve tried every suggestion here even FOV to 120. DCS 2.5 will run totally fine nice and smooth then it just freezes sound is still going. Must Ctrl, Alt, Delete to task monitor to exit. The sim may run for 20 minutes or 5 minutes. I can fly X Plane 11 or DCS 1.58 all day with no problem what’s up DCS. I have the F18 Hornet on pre-order wish I could Cancel because this sim is unplayable, I feel I spent way too much money on DCS.

I5 4670K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua NH-U14S cooling, ASUS Z87 Motherboard, 16gb Gskill 1866, Evga GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, Corsair 650 watt, Samsung 256gb 840 Pro, 512gb Adata SSD for Sims @ Games, 1 TB WD Black, Saitek Yoke, MFG Crosswinds Peddels, Hotas Joystick, 3 ASUS PB277Q Monitors

13700K, MSI Z690 D4 Edge wifi, Swiftech H360X3 Cooling with Corsair Water Block, Gigabyte 4090 OC, 64gb Trident Z 3600 CL16, Evga 850W G2 power supply, TM Warthog,  MFG Crosswinds Rudder, TrackIR 5, HP Reverb 2, Pimax Crystal

Did some more testing today and setting the FOV to 120 seems to be the only workaround for now... :( I also noticed that running with FOV120 has actually removed ANY stuttering. Can anyone confirm this? Besides the freezes I had some remarkable stutter with FOV140. With FOV120 all seems very smooth. FPS was always good, but with stuttering I mean thos strange little hickups, that appear from time to time.

In case you are a triple screen user I think I found an acceptable solution to run triple screen with FOV120 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201601 Maybe it will help you to ease your pain for the time being.

Thanks Ayindi! Your fix that you linked to worked well for me. I tried the Spit and Huey in single-player and multi-player (Aerobatics Online) on the Caucasus map.

In single-player, only a few 1/2 second stutters over 10 or 15 minutes of flying and fps in the 70-100 range.

In multi-player, a few 4 or 5-second stutters and a couple of 10 to 15-second freezes that resolved themselves. I flew the Spit and Huey for about 20 minutes each and I had fps in the 50-90 range.

UPDATE:

Well, looks like it's hit or miss. I tried an off-line, low-level F-86 run along the water in the Caucasus map and was getting great frame rates (70-100 I think) when the game froze solid.

Edited by JimTM

Well !

I tried everything and, what only works for me , was, set in option...System...Monitors: 3 screens and, fullscrenn on !

This causes a weird view but, if you are used to, view in 3 monitors, i think that is a temp solution, until some updates coming... and pray to not causes more crashes with this :lol:

waiting for next update !! :thumbup:

cheers

I don't know if this applies to the Caucasus Map yet or not (I haven't flown that one yet) but, Normandy STILL freezes when flown. No consistent amount of time or situation. Sometimes happens quickly, sometimes close to an hour can go by.

It is usually proceeded by a few "micro freezes" for me.

This is NOT new. I have seen discussions of this happening on this forum for months with little to no acknowledgement from ED. This concerns me.