DCS 2.5 Freezes

MAD-MM

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add me to the list of users having hard unrecoverable freezes trying to use triple monitors.

i7- 6700 non oc at 4.0

EVGA 1080ti no OC

16 gigs ram no OC

Triple 27" monitors with resolution set for 5760x1080 as single monitor within game settings. Verified game files through steam and did the delete of the saved games folder with a fresh restart. No joy as sim locked up again within 5 minutes on the weapons practice mission. At this point I'd like to try the change in FOV setting, but I'm unable to find where in the view lua the setting actually is. Can somebody assist?

On another note, I do NOT have this issue when playing the title via my Rift. Only with triple monitors and TrackIR.

I only solve this freezing, setting in DCS options--->System--->Monitors = 3 screen

and..................................... ................................ " ..... Full Screen = on

It's a weird view but, "playable" with 3 monitors..... still waiting for a update that repair this error.... in 1.5 this wasn't occurs.

you can also limit the FOV, setting a slider on joystick and using about 40 or 50 %

:thumbup:

Did some more testing today and setting the FOV to 120 seems to be the only workaround for now... :( I also noticed that running with FOV120 has actually removed ANY stuttering. Can anyone confirm this? Besides the freezes I had some remarkable stutter with FOV140. With FOV120 all seems very smooth. FPS was always good, but with stuttering I mean thos strange little hickups, that appear from time to time.

In case you are a triple screen user I think I found an acceptable solution to run triple screen with FOV120 https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=201601 Maybe it will help you to ease your pain for the time being.

I tried everything else prior (cleanup, repair, recreating the save folder) and none of them worked until I finally tried the above change to my FOV. This is the only thing that keeps DCS from freezing for me. If you have the freezing issues, try this.

Not too thrilled to only be using 60% of my triple screen view but I was able to play continuously for several hours with no issues doing this method. Before that, the game would freeze within 5-10 minutes. Besides the smaller screen use, it seems more like you have the seat pushed all the way back so seeing the gauges is certainly more difficult.

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

GeForce 1060 3Gb

DDR4 16GB

Win 10 Pro

TrackIR

Saitek X52 Flight System Control

3 Monitors @ 1920x1080 each for 5760x1020

Edited by geodirk
resolution addition

Happening for me too :(

I am also experiencing this issue. Some time into mission while (randomly) moving my head around I will get freeze - screen stops moving, the sound still plays. No crash.

I did try lowering my FOV to 130 and then to 120 and did not help.

I use only one monitor, 1920 x 1080.

DCS Version: 2.5.0.14138.317

Occurs in many types of planes: saw this in F-15C, A-10C, F-5E, Mi-8, AV-8B

system specs:

GeForce 970 GTX

i7 6700K 4.0 GHZ

DDR4 16 GB RAM

Win 10 Pro

Track IR

HOTAS Warthog + Cougar MFD + G13 + Saitek Rudders

Avantar

Edited by Avantar

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am also experiencing this issue. Some time into mission while (randomly) moving my head around I will get freeze - screen stops moving, the sound still plays. No crash.

I did try lowering my FOV to 130 and then to 120 and did not help.

I use only one monitor, 1920 x 1080.

DCS Version: 2.5.0.14138.317

Occurs in many types of planes: saw this in F-15C, A-10C, F-5E, Mi-8, AV-8B

system specs:

GeForce 970 GTX

i7 6700K 4.0 GHZ

DDR4 16 GB RAM

Win 10 Pro

Track IR

HOTAS Warthog + Cougar MFD + G13 + Saitek Rudders

Avantar

Did you try to set, inside DCS... option, system, monitor, you set 3 screen ???

Did you try to set, inside DCS... option, system, monitor, you set 3 screen ???

is there any point if I am using only 1 screen?

Avantar.

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am having the same issue.

Freezes and hangs after 5 to 10 minutes of game play. Never had issues with previous versions.

System is:

Windows 10 Professional

ASUS Maximus Hero VII Motherboard

i7 4790k @ 4.4Ghz

ASUS STRIX Geforce GTX 1080Ti

32GB RAM

Monitors:

3 x 27 inch Samsungs @ 5952 x 1080

Hardware:

TM Warthog Hotas

Real Simulator FSSB R3

SAITEK Cessna Ruder Pedals

Cougar MFD's

I am not that familiar with how to post logs or even review them, but would this be logged considering its not a crash?

I tried doing the Repair and Cleaning using the CMD prompt and still have the same issues.

I'm having a similar issue as well in DCS 2.5 with the Enemy Within Campaign. It's the only campaign i've played so far in 2.5. Seems related to campaign triggers in my case. Certain triggers cause massive GPU usage drops and at times crashes. Happens regularly with Mission 7 in Enemy Within where you are attacking the defenses at the CLA compound in the mountains on the Russian border. The one with low cloud cover.

After destroying the air defenses then calling in the JTAC to destroy the bunkers (thank God the JTAC finally works again!) I attempt to call in the Georgian forces to capture the compound. When I attempt to do so, I will get a response, but it will also cause my system to crash soon afterward with a black screen. Mind you, the game is also running smoothly until the aforementioned mission trigger is initialized.

I have my DCS graphics settings set up to give me a comfortable GPU usage rate and temps never go above 75 degrees Celsius on my GPU. My CPU isn't taxed at all. No DCS MSAA being used. Only FXAA through Nvidia Control Panel.

i7 5960X @ 4.5ghz

EVGA GTX 980ti SC

16GB DDR4 RAM

Windows 7 Professional

Corsair AX1200i Power Supply

Asus X99-e WS Motherboard

250GB SSD (OS only)

1TB Hybrid HDD 7200rpm (Programs and Games)

afew other hard drives not related to DCS.

Edited by dadunn1700

I'm still getting the freezes after the latest update.

This last time, I simply glanced down to my lap and that caused the shudder for 2 frames or so followed by the freeze. As I've mentioned before, it seems to be caused by rapid head movement (my head, with TrackIR in use.)

I had only one monitor enabled. I was flying Piercing Fury mission. This seems to only happen while flying missions, but who knows?

I guess I'll have to stop using TrackIR for now, if I want to fly any missions...

FYI

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As with everyone else, getting random freezes with sound continuing to play. Very random from 2 minutes in to 40 minutes in. All with the A10-C regardless of map in use. Have to Ctrl /Alt / Del to close DCS, not a crash as such.

Sysyem specs:

i7 6700K

GTX 1070

256SSD

16gb RAM

MFD+ Warthog Controls

3x1080 - Multi Monitors In Use

Brand new install after getting sick of crashes to try and alleviate the problem.

I have the log file but cant post here as it exceeds max characters allowed.

6700K, ASUS Pro Gaming M/B, 16gb Kinston DDR4 2400, Strix 1070, Triple 24" with 19" MFD Screen 1080p, HOTAS Warthog, MFDs

Today another freeze

I was able to fly the F5E Intercept mission, then I started the Air-2-Air mission. First time worked well.

I started the same again and then it froze

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

Me still as well, deleted more then once again my saved Games DCS File, seems to help at beginning but getting worse and worse over Time...

Have also the feeling it related to my Track IR...

Still had the most Freezes in the 190, can easy replicated this by Flying short dogfight Mission in the Editor on every Map against P-51....

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

Still having this. Regardless of the plane I'm flying.

Can easily re-produce with 109 normandy freeflight mission.

Note; if I set FOV to max 130 and pre-rendered frames to 3 or 4 in nvidia CP, the frequency of game freezes reduces a lot. Anyhow, still have them once in someting like couple of hours.

If I do not set above and leave FOV to default 140, I can re-produce the issue with low level aerobatics and moving my view (Trace-IR) and zooming arround in less than 10 minutes.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

Temporary work around

I've been running DCS on 3 monitors for years. Unfortunately, I have the same freezing problems many others have with 2.5. But, I can run it without freezing if I set the resolution in the settings menu to 1920x1080 and run it in a window rather than full screen. I get occasional stutters, but it's really smooth at a consistent 60 fps.

I hope this is a temporary fix, but at least I can run it. It really is beautiful and I hope it is corrected in time for the Hornet's arrival.

I've tested this with a mission including almost 100 AI aircraft while running the Windows performance monitor. My CPU utilization never exceeded 15% and memory never exceeded 60%.

So, it doesn't look like a system resource problem.

Win 7/64

i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz

16GB DDR3

1080Ti

I've been running DCS on 3 monitors for years. Unfortunately, I have the same freezing problems many others have with 2.5. But, I can run it without freezing if I set the resolution in the settings menu to 1920x1080 and run it in a window rather than full screen. I get occasional stutters, but it's really smooth at a consistent 60 fps.

I hope this is a temporary fix, but at least I can run it. It really is beautiful and I hope it is corrected in time for the Hornet's arrival.

I've tested this with a mission including almost 100 AI aircraft while running the Windows performance monitor. My CPU utilization never exceeded 15% and memory never exceeded 60%.

So, it doesn't look like a system resource problem.

Win 7/64

i7 4790K @ 4.4 GHz

16GB DDR3

1080Ti

Still haven't found a silver bullet I've gone back to 1.5 to wait it out.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have also no clue what i have to do to get rid of the Freezes, my Friends doesnt eccounter the same Problems with less RAM and older Graphic Cards.

Only my CPU is the slowest to Compare, thats why doesnt understand how could a Memory Leak solve this Problem?

The only thing thats helped me so far a littel bit, is give DCS.exe Priority in the Task Manager.

Have ED encounter this Problems try to Fix this?

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

I completely uninstalled 2.5 and did a fresh install. While I have not yet played any single player missions since doing that, I have played several hours of multiplayer and have not yet had it freeze on me. I did have a few stutters where I thought it would freeze, but came back after a few seconds.

Maybe try a completely new install?

I have the same problem with freezing. Same as ECMO1 I run a multi-monitor setup with exporting MFCD's to a 4th screen. As I reduce to a single screen the freezing goes away but I still have the studders.

I did the update to 2.5 and had the problem. Then did a wipe of all DCS files (uninstall) and downloaded the full 2.5 install. I still have the same problem. by adding more screens the problem only gets worse. I like my setup and really don't want to change it. I hope ED will get this fixed soon.

My specs are in my signature

P.S. Not using the Vive for DCS as the Resolution is not high enough.

Home built PC Win 10 Pro 64bit, MB ASUS Z170 WS, 6700K, EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid, 32GB DDR4 3200, Thermaltake 120x360 RAD, Custom built A-10C sim pit, TM WARTHOG HOTAS, Cougar MFD's, 3D printed UFC and Saitek rudders. HTC VIVE VR.

https://digitalcombatmercenaries.enjin.com/

I completely uninstalled 2.5 and did a fresh install. While I have not yet played any single player missions since doing that, I have played several hours of multiplayer and have not yet had it freeze on me. I did have a few stutters where I thought it would freeze, but came back after a few seconds.

Maybe try a completely new install?

I have 1.5 installed also. Did you have to remove all traces of DCS or just the 2.5 installation. I'd hate to remove 1.5 unless it's necessary to get 2.5 working.

Thanks

My problem with freeze to exit from mission editorI I solved deselecting full screen option, it seem work

you can try.... mah

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

I have 1.5 installed also. Did you have to remove all traces of DCS or just the 2.5 installation. I'd hate to remove 1.5 unless it's necessary to get 2.5 working.

Thanks

No I only uninstalled 2.5 where it's installed. Then manually deleted a few left over folders there as well as the saved games folder for 2.5 under my username.

I left my 1.5 install alone.

I tried that.

The results are interesting and hopeful. I haven't froze up since using these settings, but that probably doesn't mean much, since reproducing freezing is a random event.

However, setting Process Lasso to Single Core Performance effectively turned off hyper threading. Meaning, only the primary cores are being used and the virtual cores are not. The other Process Lasso settings are probably useful too.

Anyway, I've had one studder without a crash in about 6 hrs of flying missions since these changes. This includes flying the A-10C which seemed to be the worst offender for studdering while flying missions.

Thanks to the primary poster for the document.

Your results will vary, but for me, this has helped.

Intel i7-8700K @4.9Ghz | 32Gb memory DDR4 | Evga GTX 1080ti | Saitek Eclipse keyboard |

Logitech Mx518 | CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle/Pedales | TIr5 | Win10 x64