We need to have a chat about memory...

Stacker

ok guys, can't do it anymore. even when i dropped my settings all the way to the lowest possible, can't keep fps even at a solid 45. gets choppy, chunky and down right ________ terrible. i don't understand how 16gigs of ram (DIMM?), GTX980 and an i7 6700 4ghz can struggle this much with this game. wish the help offered so far did something but it hasn't, nearly any combination. wish i could give you some kind of data log, or screen shot of task manager, or something cause with the f18 coming (purchased) and this new drop of 2.5 - it seems that i won't even be able to fly. it truly seems to be accentuated massively in multiplayer (sadly where all the fun is).

signed, and incredibly frustrated wanna be pilot :/

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same issue, Memory keeps ramping up, then a portion of the memory literally disappears when a MP server spike/asset load is forced, but the consumption is still the same. I was at 10gb usage for the DCS process when it lagged in game and locked up for a few seconds, then I'm at 500mb! the other 9.5 had vanished but was still being accessed. This occurred a couple more times until the game totally locked up, probably when it hit 16, but I was too busy blasting through a canyon near Gaudata to glance at that point.

Nice smooth FPS but please fix this :) I like flying online!

Same thing. I joined multiplayer and it ramped up to 16GB of mem, then after 20 min or so it dropped instantly down to 9GB or so. I didn't keep an eye on it after that. Not sure if it went back up or not. 2 nights ago I had the same 16GB of ram but it never dropped.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

not true, I have plenty of 16 gig people playing on Dynamic Caucasus, but I had to do A LOT to make that happen.

Now the random transport.dll crash that is happening, that is infuriating, destroys the entire server when it happens, less people comeback each time.... I put waay to much work into this game for that to happen.

Developer of DDCS MP Engine, dynamicdcs.com

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=208608

Alright, i have tried out something and now i can join.

I have increased my pagefile on my secondary drive to 32 (!!!!!!!) Gigabytes.

When i load into MP it uses all of my real RAM (16GB) PLUS another 16 GB of that simulated RAM

I can play now but this ammount of memory usage is way too much.....

AMD Ryzen 5 3800X CPU

AMD Radeon RX Vega 64

G.Skill DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3600

ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Windows 10 - 64 Bit

THRUSTMASTER TFRP + T.Flight Hotas X / TrackIR 5

Alright, i have tried out something and now i can join.

I have increased my pagefile on my secondary drive to 32 (!!!!!!!) Gigabytes.

When i load into MP it uses all of my real RAM (16GB) PLUS another 16 GB of that simulated RAM

I can play now but this ammount of memory usage is way too much.....

Nice work. I just tried that and managed to get onto one fully loaded MP server and it worked well but tried it again and the same issue came back (fully maxed out phys RAM). So it seems increasing the page file to something >32GB may work for some folks. Worth a try if nobody has done that.

As you say, issue is still there though - it's consuming far too much memory when on a populated MP server. Hope ED are all over this.

i7-4790K@4.7GHz : EVGA 1070 SC : 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro : 2xEVO 840 SSD : EVGA 850W PSU : CORSAIR H100i Cooler : ASUS Z97-AR MB : CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D FULL TOWER

My dcs after joining Drexs server uses magic 18.000MB after loading.

If I add all memory shown in the taskmanager it comes to about 20 Gigabytes of pure RAM used by active tasks, plus an estimated 4GB for the system plus another 4GB standby-memory allocated by I don't know what. So my 32GB system runs at 86% memory usage when flying MP in DCS.

This is really just a factual report about my systems memory usage, but I'd be surprised if this was as designed.

I have 8GB RAM only only 2GB VRAM. Totally unplayable for me online if i can even get on with out it going back to main menu.

I will try increasing the page file to 32GB but still don't think 8GB RAM and 2GB VRAM is ever gonna be enough nomatter what.

Even on 1.5 on a server with 20 people it would freeze every so often.

So wish i could run this game well because its amazing.

Can't afford to upgrade my PC so looks like back to 1.5 for me.

Plus i'm gonna have to download 1.5 again because 2.5 overwrote it. :(

I5 4690 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 760 2GB, 2x WD 500GB SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Win 7 x64, Sidewinder Precision 2, Logitech Momo Force Racing wheel that i've setup just for using the pedals as rudder/tail rotor control. Does the job.

I have 8GB RAM only only 2GB VRAM. Totally unplayable for me online if i can even get on with out it going back to main menu.

I will try increasing the page file to 32GB but still don't think 8GB RAM and 2GB VRAM is ever gonna be enough nomatter what.

Even on 1.5 on a server with 20 people it would freeze every so often.

So wish i could run this game well because its amazing.

Can't afford to upgrade my PC so looks like back to 1.5 for me.

Plus i'm gonna have to download 1.5 again because 2.5 overwrote it. :(

I5 4690 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, GTX 760 2GB, 2x WD 500GB SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Win 7 x64, Sidewinder Precision 2, Logitech Momo Force Racing wheel that i've setup just for using the pedals as rudder/tail rotor control. Does the job.

Pagefiles are stone age. Either you put them on a HDD and you'll get a slomo dia show as soon as it's being used - and Windows loves to swap around even if you just use 3 of 16GB RAM + pagefile. Utterly useless. Or you have a SSD, then because of the forementioned prettily active swapping behaviour of Windows even when it's totally unnescessary, it will burn up your SSDs write cycles in no time so you'll have to toss it into the next bin ASAP.

Only solution for us: Install more RAM

Only solution for ED: Optimize the RAM usage

Best is to have both of them happen dealwithit.png

Since with just 16GB RAM, 2.5 (as well as 2.0-2.2 did already) tends to crash often as it runs out of free mem (or actually, once the usage reaches 85-90% where there should be plenty of RAM still left), I'll most probably up to 32GB soon. I'm just pondering if it's worth saving up and get a new base with 32GB of DDR4 and a new CPU, but I guess I shouldn't get a new one until Intel brings the 9th gen. Or maybe switch back to AMD... well, DCS was the reason I bought Intel and nVidia the last time, don't want to run into issues again rainbowdashwink.png

I even close my browser now while flying, but this just delays the problem and doesn't really solve it. The last time I did that was like 2001ish when I ran the Il-2 demo on a machine with just 1 gig. And even back then I didn't use a pagefile because the only thing it was useful for was slowing down the system due to unnescessary swapping.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

not true, I have plenty of 16 gig people playing on Dynamic Caucasus, but I had to do A LOT to make that happen.

Now the random transport.dll crash that is happening, that is infuriating, destroys the entire server when it happens, less people comeback each time.... I put waay to much work into this game for that to happen.

+1 . So frustrated. Finally found a server that is fun, challenging and welcomes players of all skill (thanks Drexx) - now I can't even fly.

Single player even can have some issues, but totally manageable and wouldn't even mention it - except for the fact that multiplayer is horrific. Video memory usage typically starts around 10,xxx MB when doing a single player or entering a multiplayer server - then it just continually climbs, no matter what. It has listed as high as 58,xxx MB but won't ever reach that now due to being disconnected from servers in less than 30 minutes typically.

How can that even be? It seems like it is copying/duplicating each persons version of the game or something (I am clearly not a computer scientist). With the F18 already pre ordered and "real" 2.5 release pending - already planning on purchasing another 16 gigs of ram but worried that 32 gigs of ram total won't even be enough.....?

Current setup:

i7 6700k @4g w/16 gigs ram, 2 SSDs with 200+ gigs of free space on each (DCS is literally the only thing on one of them), GTX980 with Oculus Rift CV1 (don't run any of the tray tools, don't want to ruin anything as i don't know how to use them).

So disappointed, so bummed. Rant over and assistance/help/guidance officially sought from ED staff.

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Played for a couple hours today using the Acrobatics Online Caucausus server, no problems with crashing or loading issues, the ram still maxed out around 16 but stable. It's funny I'm getting lower GPU temps with 2.5 than 1.5.

Feel bad if you're capped at 16gb and it's causing you major issues, but stay optimistic, sure they're going to figure it out.

Really impressed with 2.5. Maybe the lags really were just the server choking on their side.

It's sad that they haven't even acknowledged the problem.

RAM and vRAM abnormally high usage. Barely any load on the video card (my 1070Ti doesn't break 40C mark), veeeery long loading time before it crashes (can't load because RAM maxed out), etc etc etc. Definite memory leak, yet nothing from developers...wasted every day so far spending 4-5 hours trying to load.

I try first time, memory gets to 7Gb before kick to menu, then it stays at 7Gb! I try again, continues until maxed out and crashes.

Okay, so it looks like I'm one of the few that is getting my 16gb of RAM maxed out during Single Player. I haven't tried multiplayer, but I'm guessing that would be even worse.

I refuse to buy more RAM because of this. It is simply ridiculous. Prior to this, the only time I've ever had my RAM maxed out was when I used a custom 1024x1024 texture pack in Minecraft. There has to be some kind of memory leak happening here.

Well from all your comments (I dont play online...yet!) it seems 2.5 OB is leaking like grandma at a christmas party :music_whistling:

Having been on the developper side myself for other softwares, I guess it's why it is still classified a BETA and not the final release... Memory leaking is one of those housecleaning tasks that need to be ironed out before the final release.

I'm sure somebody at ED is carefully reading our threads, it just would not make sense to answer now because, well, we're all beta testers now!

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I dont think there is a leak in the client module.

On VA-Srv just now, Mi-8, I measured the usual stuff, CPU, RAM, SWAP, GPU, VRAM.

Initial RAM usage was high, it climbed in a amtter of a minute to over 19GB RAM and 32GB Swap, all smooth all OK, just heavy. I started the Mi-8, used F2, F10, chatted etc.. RAM stayed 18+GB, Swap 31GB.

Once I flew around, shortly after take-off my RAM dropped to 17.8 and then to 17.3GB, circa, where it remained throughout my 30min flight. Swap was constant 31GB, I only have 2 x16GB defined on 2 2TB HDDs. Maybe more defined swap will use more, I will test 2 x 64GB swap later today.

FPS where brutal, I mean up & beyond my expectations. ED ...THANK YOU !!!! flying a chopper with comstant 100+ fps makes a difference when hovering etc.. this is damn nice :thumbup:

I guess we need to look into "16GB, does one need more now ?" and "Do i need a certain swap file size, and why?"

Imho, 16GB didnt cut it with the late 1.5.x and it's a game over now with 2.5, 24GB or more are needed to fully exploit 2.5.

Swap, well, it may run without swap, may not. I am noit gonna start that here as there are 2 fronts colliding. I for one use swap, much swap, give my system choices, win10 is a clever beast and does a good job with it, imho. YMMV here.

There might still be leaks, this was Caucasus and Mi-8 only, no general statement, just a snapshot.

I made ascreenshot but forgot to enable the OSD integration and TaskManager.

The CPU was well used, especially over dense areas the 4 cores out of the six which do not belong to DCS but DX11 ( I assume ) got a lot more work to do, all 4 were kinda synced in work and usage. the 2 DCS cores were like one of them tilt and other ( sound ) so lala. Sound was the lowest usage core of them 6. ProcessLasso tied DCS and DX11 related to real physical cores, no HT.

It was butter smooth from A to Z, nothing to complain at all.

The menue, you can now work controls with ease, no more laaa..aag while defining buttons, well done ! Well appreciated, it just makes working DCS so much easier with responsive GUI.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

No, 16Gb is more than enough. There are sims and games with much more complexity and content that use under 8Gb of RAM. DCS created another problem and are not acknowledging it.

I tend to say "I assume" as I am no developer of said code.

How do you know it is as you say, any proof ?

Just because other games only need 8GB ( I know a few that need more, 2 of them on my desk )

it is not that no sim ever will exceed that limit.

I assume 16GB will not be enough oin the future, and they werent in 1.5.4 either in MP.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I dont think there is a leak in the client module.

On VA-Srv just now, Mi-8, I measured the usual stuff, CPU, RAM, SWAP, GPU, VRAM.

Initial RAM usage was high, it climbed in a amtter of a minute to over 19GB RAM and 32GB Swap, all smooth all OK, just heavy. I started the Mi-8, used F2, F10, chatted etc.. RAM stayed 18+GB, Swap 31GB.

Once I flew around, shortly after take-off my RAM dropped to 17.8 and then to 17.3GB, circa, where it remained throughout my 30min flight. Swap was constant 31GB, I only have 2 x16GB defined on 2 2TB HDDs. Maybe more defined swap will use more, I will test 2 x 64GB swap later today.

FPS where brutal, I mean up & beyond my expectations. ED ...THANK YOU !!!! flying a chopper with comstant 100+ fps makes a difference when hovering etc.. this is damn nice :thumbup:

I guess we need to look into "16GB, does one need more now ?" and "Do i need a certain swap file size, and why?"

Imho, 16GB didnt cut it with the late 1.5.x and it's a game over now with 2.5, 24GB or more are needed to fully exploit 2.5.

Swap, well, it may run without swap, may not. I am noit gonna start that here as there are 2 fronts colliding. I for one use swap, much swap, give my system choices, win10 is a clever beast and does a good job with it, imho. YMMV here.

There might still be leaks, this was Caucasus and Mi-8 only, no general statement, just a snapshot.

I made ascreenshot but forgot to enable the OSD integration and TaskManager.

The CPU was well used, especially over dense areas the 4 cores out of the six which do not belong to DCS but DX11 ( I assume ) got a lot more work to do, all 4 were kinda synced in work and usage. the 2 DCS cores were like one of them tilt and other ( sound ) so lala. Sound was the lowest usage core of them 6. ProcessLasso tied DCS and DX11 related to real physical cores, no HT.

It was butter smooth from A to Z, nothing to complain at all.

The menue, you can now work controls with ease, no more laaa..aag while defining buttons, well done ! Well appreciated, it just makes working DCS so much easier with responsive GUI.

Odd in alpha 8 was enough and now it’s magically over 16? Sorry but this is bad optimization and devs need to fix.

I tend to say "I assume" as I am no developer of said code.

How do you know it is as you say, any proof ?

Just because other games only need 8GB ( I know a few that need more, 2 of them on my desk )

it is not that no sim ever will exceed that limit.

I assume 16GB will not be enough oin the future, and they werent in 1.5.4 either in MP.

8 was enough for 1.5 and 2.2. I rarely went over 8 on a busy server with those versions. Same system as I have now.

+1

This right here, I would at least like to know the same. If I need to buy more RAM, fine. If it's a bug though and just bad optimization, that needs to be put it out there before me and anyone else go out and spend money needlessly.

Right, then the 'minimum system requirements' would be more than 16gb ram since without it the game crashes, how would that look to potential buyers?

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator