2.5 CA - AI units see/shoot through buildings

Trees seem to work great at blocking AI LoS.

The same cannot be said for buildings. Ground units usually spot you through walls and then pound the intervening building with cannon rounds. At a certain point the building becomes ethereal (it runs out of hitpoints, I guess), and they kill you. So you can't hide behind buildings because you will be killed by enemies that you can't see.

This could be fixed by making even 'dead' buildings block projectiles.

Also, it would be worth your time to make sure that physical geometry actually matches the visual geometry of buildings. At least on the square corners. Nothing like trying to shoot at a tank and hitting an invisible wall instead.

Lastly, vehicle collision for trees should just be turned off, because it is so broken. I spent like 10 minutes stuck between two saplings. There's a reason that even games like Arma allow tanks to flatten trees.

The same cannot be said for buildings. Ground units usually spot you through walls and then pound the intervening building with cannon rounds. At a certain point the building becomes ethereal (it runs out of hitpoints, I guess), and they kill you. So you can't hide behind buildings because you will be killed by enemies that you can't see.

Are you sure about that? I just placed two tanks on each side of a building, they completely ignored each other.

Are you sure about that? I just placed two tanks on each side of a building, they completely ignored each other.

I just played a mission for several hours, and lost more than one tank from AP rounds going straight through large structures.

This dynamic is pretty clear if you turn the labels on and watch them fade in and out. LoS geometry clearly doesn't match the visual geometry of buildings, although some models may work better than others.

Basically they shoot at you through the building until the building becomes ethereal, then then shoot you.

It stands to reason that all buildings suffer from the bug where they become ethereal, though. So it makes more sense to hotfix this than track down every geometry problem in every Caucasus asset.

I have noticed this in Nevada pre 2.5 release.

Tunguska hounded me hard until my little gazelle acquired and owned him.

T-80's also will continuously fire missiles and there was no way they got line of sight on my blades let alone my upper airframe!

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

They were drunk :P

• Like 1

Reminder: Fighter pilots make movies. Bomber pilots make... HISTORY! :D | Also to be remembered: FRENCH TANKS HAVE ONE GEAR FORWARD AND FIVE BACKWARD :D

ಠ_ಠ

Here's a track.

The T-80s immediately spot the Abrams through the building, and shoot it.

For the second Abrams, I take control and kill it by shooting through the building with a sabot. It isn't necessarily unrealistic that the AP round goes through a small house, but it is unrealistic when a round goes through a whole factory.

There are lots of different building models, and many are glitched. Some have LoS blocking problems for AI, and some have physical geometry problems (can't shoot/lase near them because they are bigger than their 3D model appears to be).

bldng!.trk

If you have a bit more patience, try these tracks as well.

Watch the first few minutes of 'bldng' and watch Humvees lob tons of TOW missiles uselessly into houses, because they see straight through them.

Then watch the last few minutes as my tank gets shot through an entire village.

I forget what's in track 'bldng2'

bldng.trk

bldng2.trk

Edited by maturin