2.5 Gamma

Belphe

Doesn't that depend entirely on the display you are using? :-)

It does. So far I've seen people using gamma values between 1.4 and 1.8 mostly.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The new promotional DCS video was taken with gamma at 1.6. Personally i enjoy 1.8.

Do you have a link for the settings that were used for the video? I've been trying to find out what settings Wags uses for his instructional vids.. it looks so good. Anyone know if he's published them?

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Wags' setting:

You bet:

- Gamma 1.8

- Global Illum On

- Deferred Shading On

- AA to 2

- AF to 16

- Res 2560x1440

No mods, ever.

A big part is also time of day. I never use noon, but rather mid-morning or late afternoon.

- Gamma 1.5

- Global Illum On

- Deferred Shading On

- AA to 0

- AF to 16

- IPD 50

- Pixel Density 1.5

No mods, ever.

Glowing Amraam's (the maker of the videos) personal gamma setting:

For me, my gamma is set to 1.6.

Remember that time-of-day will also affect the "look" of the game, so try flying at dawn or dusk and you will see what you have seen in many of the videos. smile.gif

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Outside looks beautiful with these settings. But in-cockpit looks too dark and high contrast.

Any plans to tweak this further?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

• 2 weeks later...
Someone with oculus rift can suggest me a gamma setting to try?

With standard 2.2 all colors and lighting seems to me a bit weird...

1.4 or 1.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I have settled on 1.4 for my Rift, with both deferred shading and cockpit global illumination on.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I wrote this in another thread:

If anyone here has an iPhone, you can adjust your monitor brightness with it, like this:

• Turn down your iPhone volume to zero.
  • Click the volume up button four times, which puts volume at 25%.
  • Open the control panel or whatever it's called and increase brightness to 25% so it matches the volume bar.
  • Hold your iPhone in front of your monitor and adjust the brightness on your monitor until the brightness matches.
  • You may be surprised at how dim this is, but this is in fact the recommended brightness for office environments all over the world (300 candela, if I remember correctly) and it greatly decreases the amount of headaches you get after prolonged use.
  • You can also adjust colour this way, but iPhone whites are possibly slightly blue.
  • With this brightness, I find Gamma 2.0 looks the most natural.

Edited by D.Va

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

I adjust the Gamma depending on the aircraft I'm using and also the cloud cover and time of day. I find it really just depends on what looks good to you.

I'm a bit frustrated when using Deferred Shading especially with a low sun that the shaded side of the aircraft is completely black and the sunward side has a white sheen to it. I'm hoping this is a work in progress and the only thing I can do is adjust the Gamma till it looks good to my eyes.

Sager Laptop, i7-6700k 4.00GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 980M, 1920x1080, TIR 5, Windows 10

I adjust the Gamma depending on the aircraft I'm using and also the cloud cover and time of day. I find it really just depends on what looks good to you.

I'm a bit frustrated when using Deferred Shading especially with a low sun that the shaded side of the aircraft is completely black and the sunward side has a white sheen to it. I'm hoping this is a work in progress and the only thing I can do is adjust the Gamma till it looks good to my eyes.

Really? I don't have that problem at all. In DCS pre-2.5 everything looked bad with DS ON and in 2.5 everything looks bad with DS OFF, but in 2.5 with DS ON and Gamma 2.0, I don't have any issues with colour or contrast. You should probably troubleshoot?

Read my DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide (version 2.5.4):

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3828073

If you're having gamma issues and you've upgraded instead of fresh install, try deleting the contents of the fxo and metashaders folders in your Saved Games /DCS folder. I upgraded and was experiencing weird contrast and lighting that didn't look right and had to set gamma to 1.7; after deleting those folders the game is beautiful and I've had to raise gamma to 2.2.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.