DCS 2.5 Antialiasing comparison

Repsol2k

Hello. You are partially mistaken. In order to force AA from Nvidia Control Panel and get rid of the jaggies, you need to activate three different things:

"AA mode" to forced or override application

"AA setting" to 2x or whatever you graphic card could handle

"FXAA" to on

Otherwise it doesn´t work. Give it a try ;)

Which Nvidia AA Settings did u use exactly? I tried it out and i only see a difference when FXAA is ON or OFF.

Will try to upload a comparison screen between AA On or Off

I posted this question in another thread, but i post also here:

I have a question: currently i use a 1440p@60hz monitor, and with msaa 2x and deferred shading ON sometimes i experience stutter and fps drop with a gtx1070.

I tried to disable in-game MSAA at all using, instead, FXAA from nvidia control panel.

With FXAA ON i gain a lot of FPS, and aliasing is better than no AA, but could be better, 'cause i still have an amount of aliasing, especially on medium/far terrain and buildings.

If i understood correctly there's no way to use MFAA or force MSAA via NCP with AA in-game set to off, but minimum 2X for MFAA to work.

I'd want to try FXAA in conjunction with SMAA via reshade.

can it works?

Disable in-game MSAA and using FXAA from NCP and SMAA via Reshade?

I don't know onestly...

Edited by Solid84

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

I posted this question in another thread, but i post also here:

I have a question: currently i use a 1440p@60hz monitor, and with msaa 2x and deferred shading ON sometimes i experience stutter and fps drop with a gtx1070.

I tried to disable in-game MSAA at all using, instead, FXAA from nvidia control panel.

With FXAA ON i gain a lot of FPS, and aliasing is better than no AA, but could be better, 'cause i still have an amount of aliasing, especially on medium/far terrain and buildings.

If i understood correctly there's no way to use MFAA or force MSAA via NCP with AA in-game set to off, but minimum 2X for MFAA to work.

I'd want to try FXAA in conjunction with SMAA via reshade.

can it works?

Disable in-game MSAA and using FXAA from NCP and SMAA via Reshade?

I don't know onestly...

I made some comparisions for the ReShade thing there u cann see the differences. Its clear to see that u can stack FXAA and SMAA.

attachment.php?attachmentid=177844&stc=1&d=1517747465

Edited by Repsol2k

ok, thanks.

i've just installed reshade using only SMAA.FX.

At this moment i use also FXAA throung nvidia control panel, but there's a FXAA module also in Reshade.

It's better to use FXAA through NCP or Reshade? or doesn't care?

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

Ok, i tried several AA method.

My conclusion is that, for me, at 1440p resolution, is better to use only FXAA through NCP.

Because SMAA using reshade change almost nothing, at least at 1440p, a bit inside cockpit, but terrain remain exactly the same. But cost me 6/8 fps over FXAA only

Ok, i tried several AA method.

My conclusion is that, for me, at 1440p resolution, is better to use only FXAA through NCP.

Because SMAA using reshade change almost nothing, at least at 1440p, a bit inside cockpit, but terrain remain exactly the same. But cost me 6/8 fps over FXAA only

Yeah its like i do i have only FXAA via NCP and ReShade i dont use in my 2. DCS 2.5 version to keep it clean from third party tools etc.

But for me its also good to see the differences. Its easier to compare picture then to always reset the DCS game and then u see only 1 picture instead ov severals.

Yeah its like i do i have only FXAA via NCP and ReShade i dont use in my 2. DCS 2.5 version to keep it clean from third party tools etc.

But for me its also good to see the differences. Its easier to compare picture then to always reset the DCS game and then u see only 1 picture instead ov severals.

Using FXAA only for me is a good result, not comparing with MSAA 2X, but very good overall.

Anyway you made a great work, useful for all community.

Well done! And thank you so much.

In the previous 2.2 i used Deferred Shading off, and i was able to use MSAA 2X with perfect performance.

But the new Caucasus looks terrible with DS off.

So FXAA is the only way for me, at this moment.

FXAA and any AA settings for override in the NVCP do not work for me in VR. The only AA that actually works in game is the setting inside DCS. I tried override and forcing all settings in the NVCP to no avail.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

I tried override and forcing all settings in the NVCP to no avail.

Use 2xMSAA in-game and then enable NVCP's enchance option with 2xQ and 2xSGSSAA. Works like a charm with DS off and looks great too.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

On the top of that, I use 8xSGSSAA and got rid of almost all shimmering.

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

Use 2xMSAA in-game and then enable NVCP's enchance option with 2xQ and 2xSGSSAA. Works like a charm with DS off and looks great too.

x2 in game MSAA is already good enough, are you sure that adding some NVCP settings on top of that add more AA ? If so, at what cost approximately in terms of FPS ?

Thanks

I’m not turning off DS. DS with AA is what I am talking about. There does not appear to be a way to get AA in DCS VR by using the NVCP. AA is apparently only working by using the setting in game which takes a lot of frames away when you are using DS and in VR you need every frame you can get.

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

SGSSAA? How do we enable that?

Nvidia Inspector, but keep in mind I have slightly different GPU. Try x2 settings for a start.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%

I am a little confused about what options can be on with which others. Currently I use MSAA x2 in game and in the Nvidia panel I have "enhance application settings", antialiasing 2x, MFAA on which is a setup that I understand works quite well (https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=200906). Can I stack FXAA with these (more to the point do I want to do that? Since FXAA apparently can blur things). How about staking ReShade SMAA with others?

Edited by The Integrator

Eagerly anticipating DCS: Space Shuttle

adding some NVCP settings on top of that add more AA?

They do. 2xQ looks much smoother than plain 2x and SGSSAA takes away the shimmering and crawling from alpha textures such as foliage. About the FPS cost I can't really say since I've never compared it with, say, having no AA on at all, but it runs pretty well on my rig regardless. See the screenshot for details:

DCS_AA.jpg.46c6ef3d8f8dcf24a82b35313f776f78.jpg

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I managed to get the best balance between performance and antialiasing by using MSAA off, Nvidia Inspector AA to "override," with FXAA on and SGSSAAx8. I get terrible shimmering on taxiways and runways, though. All other combinations I've tried result in either terrible performance (even without antialiasing!) or no antialiasing being applied at all.

Yeah after a couple of while its more and more saying that MSAA of DCS is producing a bottleneck but we also need to understand that we have a BETA here and for a BETA honestely it works good and i think most of us see a good improvement.

And also really thank u guys of the community that we figured out so many ways in the only past 7 days to improve what ED gives us. Even we know that we also may need some changes from ED side but as we saw with the last little Update yesterday they are reading what were writing and they also reacting to those things.

U will never see those kind of Feedback from the developers at for example Battlefield so we can feel proud that ED is doing there Job well.

While I understand it's beta, going from MSAAx8 with good performance in 1.5.8 to MSAAx2 with terrible performance puts it at pre-alpha status in my mind...

+1

As good as Deffered shading looks, I simply don´t find the performance impact is acceptable.

I would prefer ED to optimise, or better add, diffent graphics tuning inorder to make non deffered shading look better. As it is now the option to turn Deffered shading On/Off does not make much sense.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.