2.5 Not smooth

chardly38

I watched that video and while it worked in his case, I can't figure out why he only had CPU0 selected. When I open the affinity dialog DCS already has all cores selected, not just 1.

Now I haven't done extensive testing but I can't see the "real time" setting doing anything unless maybe if you are running a dual core CPU. Windows already prioritizes the active program, so changing that setting should do nothing unless you have DCS running in the background.

Edit: I cannot say for sure as I don't get many stutters, but it might be helping with the occasional "20 AI shooting at each other simultaneously" stutter or two that I get. Might just be placebo but might be worth using. Don't forget to return to fullscreen after doing it though if you are using Gsync.

Edited by Sideslip

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

I watched that video and while it worked in his case, I can't figure out why he only had CPU0 selected. When I open the affinity dialog DCS already has all cores selected, not just 1.

Now I haven't done extensive testing but I can't see the "real time" setting doing anything unless maybe if you are running a dual core CPU. Windows already prioritizes the active program, so changing that setting should do nothing unless you have DCS running in the background.

Edit: I cannot say for sure as I don't get many stutters, but it might be helping with the occasional "20 AI shooting at each other simultaneously" stutter or two that I get. Might just be placebo but might be worth using. Don't forget to return to fullscreen after doing it though if you are using Gsync.

I am sorry, I made my post a little bite to quick.

I am not talking about the "real time" setting, but when you have for example 8 cores listed, from 0 to 7, 0,2,4 and 6 are actual CPUs, while 1,3,5 and 7 are logical CPUs. Even with a free flight with nothing but me I endure severe stuttering. When I open the affinity dialog for DCS only 0 is selected and with this method they do disappear. No placebo...

B/R

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E, i7-7820X, DDR4-64 Go (2660 MHz), 2 x TITAN Xp (SLI), SSD M-2 960 EVO 1 To, Win10 Pro 64

See, I find that odd because by default all my cores are selected. I wonder why that's not the case on your end.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

See, I find that odd because by default all my cores are selected. I wonder why that's not the case on your end.

I am wondering to. This is really annoying to have to do that every time :joystick:

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E, i7-7820X, DDR4-64 Go (2660 MHz), 2 x TITAN Xp (SLI), SSD M-2 960 EVO 1 To, Win10 Pro 64

After a little testing, one of the things that makes my game run well, was turning shadows to low, from medium. Most other stuff on high, msaa off, AA from the NVidia panel. DS on, 1080P, I only have 8gb ram, but it's not using it all at the moment, and I have 3gb 1060. One thing I have noticed is my % usages are low, sometimes less than 25% on my cpu & gpu?? Still im happy enough with 2.5 on my pc right now. Still wondering about doing a full reinstall and get rid of all the legacy files from mods etc

i5-7600K @ 4.8 | 32GB | 1080 | Rift S | TM MFD & WH HOTAS-10mm ext + TFRP

I feel like DCS runs totally differently for everyone, even people on similar setups. On my 1050Ti, turning Shadows from low to medium to high does absolutely nothing. Turning them off completely does. Even Ralfidude mentioned that while 2.5 runs smooth on his rig, his friend's rig--which is exactly the same--doesn't run it so smoothly.

The biggest performance impact with shadows occurs if terrain shadows are set to default, trees are at 100%, visibility is at least medium, and you are low in an area with lots of trees and buildings. The setting affects the quality of all those hundreds of shadows. If you have terrain shadows set to flat, the shadow quality will have little impact, likewise if set to off.

A lot of the performance recommendations floating around don't take into account how one setting affects another, so people see different results with one particular setting. And of course different hardware may behave differently too.