FOV

Use the / and * keys.

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

No probs. If you want a more permanent solution go to [username]/Saved Games/DCS/Config/Views and open SnapViews.lua in Notepad++. The last section for each aircraft is called Default or Pilot (something like that, not at game atm); change the FOV line here to set the default for that aircraft.

I have a 21:9 Ultrawide screen and have mine set to 110.

• Thanks 1

Windows 10 Home, Intel Core i7-9700K @ 4.6GHz, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (8GB VRAM) on 34" LG curved monitor @ 3440x1440, 32GB RAM, TrackIR 3 (with Vector Expansion), Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs.

• 9 months later...

I had a similar problem recently. You should try setting a snapview in-game (RALT-Num0), then close the game. This creates the SnapView.lua file if it doesn't exist. In my case, the file existed but was out of date and didn't include the F/A-18C. Doing this updated the file.

• Thanks 1

I am having issues setting my FOV in the Hornet. I use / and * on the NUMPAD to get my FOV to 90. I then press RALT+NUMPAD 0 to save. However, as soon as I touch my zoom axis on my HOTAS, the FOV resets back to 80. I have also tried editing the .lua files and set FOV to 90 but the in-game FOV continues to be 80 with TrackIR.

UPDATE: I have found that I have to hit NUMPAD ENTER after the mission loads to get the FOV to 90; however, the FOV still resets to 80 if I use the zoom axis on my HOTAS.

Is there anyway to set the midpoint of my zoom axis rotary to be the FOV of 90 and not 80?

Edited by =BJM=
  • Like 2

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Okay everyone...I found the solution!!!

Go to DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C and open the Views.lua file and find the following line near the top...

CameraViewAngleLimits = {30.000000,150.000000},

The default values are 20, 140 which gives a midpoint of 80. I changed it to 30, 150 to give me a midpoint of 90 on my HOTAS zoom axis which now matches by default FOV of 90 that I set.

Hope this solution helps!!

Edited by =BJM=
  • Thanks 2

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I like to have a custom CameraViewAngleLimits as well, but there is a problem with editing that file. The issue with editing that file, which I've been trying to get around, is that your client will fail the integrity check for multiplayer. So that may be a concern for some people.

I haven't figured out how to adjust the parameters in that file that don't exist in the SnapViews.lua and still pass the integrity check.

• 5 months later...

Finally...the correct answer!

I've checked this and it does, in fact, change the FOV. Unlike a lot of FOV answers that think zooming in and out changes the FOV.

It is also correct that doing this will keep you from flying on a lot of multiplayer missions because of the integrity check.

What most people don't realize (DCS) is how important your peripheral vision is in spotting movement during ACM. If you ask any vision professional they'll tell you that you can spot movement easier using you peripheral.

DCS-We need to be able to change the FOV and still pass the integrity checks. If DCS is meant to be realistic then we should be able to use our full range of vision.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

RackMonkey.... zoom DOES change your field of view. That's... how it works. Yes, you can edit files and achieve the same thing... or you could just use the numerous ''view positions'' to save presets. Zoom and field of view are literally the same thing.

The only other way to increase your effective FoV is by having a monitor wider than it is tall. The same relative position for 90' fov on a 16:9 monitor will be much higher on a ultrawide by virtue of extra screen real estate to the sides.

You can also use a much larger screen, adjust the ''scale'' as it were so objects are the same size, such as the UFC on both screens being approximately two inches (as an arbitrary selection) then what's left over will be your greatly increased peripheral vision.

I use a curved 35'' 3440x1440 monitor, and sit as close as practical. It fills my field of vision in real life, and I adjust the ingame view for legibility or before it starts getting fish eye, depending on priorities at the moment. I rarely have to adjust it up or down once dialed in. I don't even use the presets or file editing. I assigned zoom to an axis, set it as a slider, adjusted saturation to cut off the top (usually around 70-75% for me) and boom. I can zoom in, I can't zoom out so far it gets fish eye. Easily adjusted forvfine tuning, and fool proof for the aircraft that allow crazy high FoV settings.

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

• 3 months later...

Sorry zhukov, but zoom is not FOV. DCS may call it FOV but it's not. Check with your optometrist. When you change FOV here your eye point move fore and aft. FOV is what you can see from left to right WITHOUT moving your eye point.

MSI Z490 Tomahawk, I5-11600kf, 2X512GB NvME, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3200, Reverb G2, T50-CM2, OpenXR

31st TFW, 14th MAS, 9th ARS

Yes. Zoom = FOV in DCS. Not to be confused with head movement forwards/backwards.

You can have custom views.lua and snapviews.lua in saved games folder and it will pass integrity check.

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

Sorry zhukov, but zoom is not FOV. DCS may call it FOV but it's not. Check with your optometrist. When you change FOV here your eye point move fore and aft. FOV is what you can see from left to right WITHOUT moving your eye point.

What?!!?

This is like the second thread where RackMonkey tries the same trick! :doh:

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

• 5 months later...
I am having issues setting my FOV in the Hornet. I use / and * on the NUMPAD to get my FOV to 90. I then press RALT+NUMPAD 0 to save. However, as soon as I touch my zoom axis on my HOTAS, the FOV resets back to 80. I have also tried editing the .lua files and set FOV to 90 but the in-game FOV continues to be 80 with TrackIR.

UPDATE: I have found that I have to hit NUMPAD ENTER after the mission loads to get the FOV to 90; however, the FOV still resets to 80 if I use the zoom axis on my HOTAS.

Is there anyway to set the midpoint of my zoom axis rotary to be the FOV of 90 and not 80?

Or you can adjust the saturation for the axis to set an outer limit. Set it to slider, I usually set the saturation to about 75 (plus or minus). Retain full zoom, but will only zoom out to the point I allow.

Dunno why folks always want to edit LUAs lol I've been here a long time and not had to do that yet :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Or you can adjust the saturation for the axis to set an outer limit. Set it to slider, I usually set the saturation to about 75 (plus or minus). Retain full zoom, but will only zoom out to the point I allow.

Dunno why folks always want to edit LUAs lol I've been here a long time and not had to do that yet :p

Folks edit the LUA file because they want to set their default FOV for each aircraft i.e the default level of zoom when you press Enter. It is simple to do and means each aircraft will start with your chosen FOV. You can zoom in and out as normal and with a click of a button (or press of Enter) you'll return to your chosen default, however, this isn't as effective if you map zoom to a slider, as the position of the slider will always determine the level of zoom.

Folks edit the LUA file because they want to set their default FOV for each aircraft i.e the default level of zoom when you press Enter. It is simple to do and means each aircraft will start with your chosen FOV. You can zoom in and out as normal and with a click of a button (or press of Enter) you'll return to your chosen default, however, this isn't as effective if you map zoom to a slider, as the position of the slider will always determine the level of zoom.

Excellent. But where are the files located? Some here point to files in the C:/Users/username/... path. Others point to other locations for the files to be edited. Which is the correct file(s)?

Excellent. But where are the files located? Some here point to files in the C:/Users/username/... path. Others point to other locations for the files to be edited. Which is the correct file(s)?

Both. It depends on what you want to do.

Ideally, you should always do these things your Saved Game\DCS directory since that's where all your local user files are stored, and since pretty much anything you do there is inherently ok for you to modify without triggering any kind of modding limit or integrity check.

In this case, this means the Saved Games\DCS\Config\Views\SnapViews.lua file.

The problem is that, by virtue of being ok to edit to your heart's content, there are limits to what you can actually do with the files in that directory. SnapViews only lets you set default positions, angles, and FoVs — it doesn't (indeed, it can't) alter input limits. For that, you need to turn to modding the various aircraft modules and that happens in your DCS install directory, in the respective DCS World\Mods\aircraft\[whatever] directories. Fiddling with things here often (but not always) trigger integrity check failures so your mileage may vary.

The structure here will vary a bit with the developer, but in general you'll find the aforementioned Views.lua file (as well as default values for snap views and many other things).

What you want to do decides where you want to go to edit things.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Both. It depends on what you want to do.

Ideally, you should always do these things your Saved Game\DCS directory since that's where all your local user files are stored, and since pretty much anything you do there is inherently ok for you to modify without triggering any kind of modding limit or integrity check.

In this case, this means the Saved Games\DCS\Config\Views\SnapViews.lua file.

The problem is that, by virtue of being ok to edit to your heart's content, there are limits to what you can actually do with the files in that directory. SnapViews only lets you set default positions, angles, and FoVs — it doesn't (indeed, it can't) alter input limits. For that, you need to turn to modding the various aircraft modules and that happens in your DCS install directory, in the respective DCS World\Mods\aircraft\[whatever] directories. Fiddling with things here often (but not always) trigger integrity check failures so your mileage may vary.

The structure here will vary a bit with the developer, but in general you'll find the aforementioned Views.lua file (as well as default values for snap views and many other things).

What you want to do decides where you want to go to edit things.

Very interesting. This both good and bad news. Bad news in that there are no standards for where this kind of modifications are handled. Also, there should be a saver way to make these kinds of adjustments from within the game interface. Good news in that there is at least a means of making the adjustment… As long as one is brave enough to tinker with the necessary files.

There are so many threads on this subject; meaning there is an issue for DCS to address. In my case there are only a few modules where this FOV thing is an issue. Were it is an issue, it’s a really big issue! The KA-50 Black Shark is the worse. I use triple 27in displays at 5760 x 1080. In my center display, all I see is the HUD, no instruments at all, just the HUD. So that is my starting point. I am attempting to discover which file, and on with line in the file are the FOV settings located that can address my issue.

I should not be as difficult and vague as it has been to solve. But it is.

• 7 months later...
Okay everyone...I found the solution!!!

Go to DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C and open the Views.lua file and find the following line near the top...

CameraViewAngleLimits = {30.000000,150.000000},

The default values are 20, 140 which gives a midpoint of 80. I changed it to 30, 150 to give me a midpoint of 90 on my HOTAS zoom axis which now matches by default FOV of 90 that I set.

Hope this solution helps!!

I am having an issue with the cockpit views in the KA50. You mentioned here that there is a views.lua file in the ../aircraft/FA-18 folder. Why is there no views.lua file in the ../aircraft/KA50 folder? Should there be? If not, how would I resolve cockpit view issues with the KA50?

I'm minus a VR headset at the moment, and have adjusted FOV as I always used to:

"%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\View\SnapViews.lua"

and changed the "13" entry for whichever aircraft, currently I'm mostly flying the FA-18C

SnapViews["FA-18C_hornet"] = {

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 56.000000,--FOV

However, I find that when going into the mission, I have to press KPENT for this setting to take effect? Is this normal now? I seem to recall that previously, the zoom would change by itself when entering a mission. Anyway, seems to work ok.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals