Hard crash causing system restart

Shazwazzer

Ok, so 2.5 so far has been hell for me. To start it off I was getting horrid FPS, with or without deferred shading enabled and AA off, the whole 9 yards. So I reinstalled, updated the video drivers, you know, the basic stuff. I got it running somewhat decent, but not great and tried multiplayer. Well holy crap that's a new bag of worms. When I join everything is normal, and then I select a plane, first I tried the SU25T, got off the ground and BOOM, hard restart. I checked ram use and it was way up at 15GB or so. Didn't think a lack of ram would cause something like this, but maybe. Tried again, and in the mirage 2000 as soon as I got in the pit, tried to rearm, BOOM, hard restart. I thought maybe it's something else in my system, power supply, video card, you know, hardware. Cause really, the issue seems hardware related. I threw in some more ram, no change. Still hard crash. So, I went experimenting. Tried the most demanding games I have. Not a single one caused a crash like this. Taxed the GPU as much as possible. Nothing. I don't understand it. If it were a power issue, loading the system should cause the issue in other programs, but it doesn't. It's only DCS and it really is game breaking. I'll try to do some more to narrow it down, but there's not much I can think of to figure it out. System is as follows CPU I7 4770k ram 32gb video card Radeon RX Vega 64 Windows 7 What else can I tell you.... help! edit: I don't know why my formatting didn't hold

• ED Team

Hi Shazwazzer

Some users are seeing the same including me.

If you can please attach your dcs.log

If you get a crash dcs will try and create a zip folder attach that if you can.

ED are looking into it

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
Is there a public bug tracker that I can see the status of bugs?

I tried a few different servers, same problem with the crashing. Would just like to know ED are actually looking at the problem...

No public bug tracker. But I can assure you ED are looking into the issues.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So I MAY have fixed this. I deleted everything in my user\saved games\dcs.openbeta\ folder except for my inputs. Things seem to be working now. So my guess is when DCS created the files it screwed up some how. Forcing it to re-create the files might be the thing to do if you have this problem.

I'll keep you posted if it crashes again.

the last log was

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

After looking, I don't think that has anything to do with it. I found this one:

Log Name: System

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date: 18/02/2018 4:51:58 PM

Event ID: 41

Task Category: (63)

Level: Critical

Keywords: (2)

User: SYSTEM

Computer: ***

Description:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>2</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>63</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-02-18T21:51:58.492008800Z" />

<EventRecordID>253843</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>***</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>

<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>

<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Edited by Shazwazzer
more info

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I was getting similar behavior as you. Hard restarts, as if power was temporarily unplugged, especially after 5-15 minutes in multiplayer. Figured it was DCS because it's the only game that does this.

Turns out I needed a new power supply. Wasn't undersized--just old. After getting a new one everything has been rock solid with no other changes or updates.

So I MAY have fixed this. I deleted everything in my user\saved games\dcs.openbeta\ folder except for my inputs. Things seem to be working now. So my guess is when DCS created the files it screwed up some how. Forcing it to re-create the files might be the thing to do if you have this problem.

I'll keep you posted if it crashes again.

There were a boatload of errors on the metashader folder (and a few others) in the log files so I guess that makes sense.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1