DCS 2.5 Optimisation Guide

D.Va

...and ???

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 months later...

Customisation Guide (for advanced players):

9k2RCok.png

I don't see any explaination of how to use this chart. Can you explain what the colors mean, and what the 2 percentages mean? % (%)

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I don't see any explaination of how to use this chart. Can you explain what the colors mean, and what the 2 percentages mean? % (%)

This chart no longer aplly with the current game version :>

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• 2 months later...

Folks, after all these years running DCS , I just realized , that "Alt - Enter" in game in DCS is giving me an extra of 8 to 10 FPS performace in Multiplayer ! how is that possible ?

I found this out by having some screentearing issues with even V sync ON in game. .. so I tried the "Alt Enter" fullscreen command in game... like recommended in some threads .. and BOOM ! -> not only is the screen tearing gone , it is giving me and extra FPS boost ! haha .. didnt realize the full screen thing up to that day ..

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

Folks, after all these years running DCS , I just realized , that "Alt - Enter" in game in DCS is giving me an extra of 8 to 10 FPS performace...

"Alt+Enter" should be the very first key command to be learned by every DCS pilot! ;)

though i didn't notice this for a long time too... :music_whistling:

"Landing on the ship during the daytime is like sex, it's either good or it's great. Landing on the ship at night is like a trip to the dentist, you may get away with no pain, but you just don't feel comfortable"

— LCDR Thomas Quinn, USN.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey all - I am pulling my hair out here. Following this guide to the letter, at the minimum setting I barely break 30 fps and usually suffer around 15-20. Is that the best I can expect with these specs?

ASUS Z97-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-N75TOC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4600

16gb RAM

OS is installed on one SSD, DCS on a seperate SSD.

Windows 7 64bit

1920x1080

I have not fired up DCS in a long while, and after I got the new SSD I moved the install from the old disk to the SSD, upgraded DCS and then upgraded 2.5.5, removed options.lua and set config for the minimum in this post. The bare minimum - and I average 20 fps.

I have made sure nothing else is running, rebooted, even updated the nvidia drivers to 440.97 and all of the suggested settings are turned off (aa, vsync, etc)

I did my testing on the Huey module, free flight. I can get 60fps if I stare at the ceiling. :lol:

I would say probably yes. Check the Min requirements here...

With the Min requirements you will get min fps. That's about 20-30 I'd say. And DCS is Graphics Card heavily dependent. It needs a good one. I would start with a better card and that would help a lot.

Intel I9-10850K (OC @ 5.0ghz) │ Asus Maximus XII Hero │ G.Skill Ripjaws 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 │ Thermaltake Water 360mm
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24gb │ 2TB M.2 EVO Pro; 1T M.2 EVO; Sandisk SSD Drives │ 49" Samsung Curved Widescreen │ 28" Touchscreen

- ҉ - Blackshark Cockpit Trainer - ҉ -    Thread   | Download

I would say probably yes. Check the Min requirements here...

With the Min requirements you will get min fps. That's about 20-30 I'd say. And DCS is Graphics Card heavily dependent. It needs a good one. I would start with a better card and that would help a lot.

Bleh, that stinks. I knew it was on the lower end (built this system in 2015) but didn't think it was *that* far off.

That being said - if anyone has recommendations for a video card upgrade I am all ears! I dont do this stuff very often so its always like starting over when do get around to doing it, :helpsmilie:

Gtx 1660 , 1660 ti , or 1660 super are all you need for 1080p . Between those options , and all the partner cards , you have lots of choices for +- $250 .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I may add a AMD 590 series is a valid option too, especially for 1080p.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Thanks for the suggestions - I have been looking at the 1060 as it fits my budget,but will also look into the 1660 series. Looks to be only a few dollars more.

I just thought of something - my native resolution is 1920x1080 so thats what I run DCS in. I never thought of dropping the resolution, will have to give that a shot as well to hold me over until I can upgrade.

Another challenge is something I didn't realize since I upgrade so rarely and just started looking into this - most of these new cards only have HDMI ports, a few may have one DVI but none of them have 2. And only one of my monitors has HDMI so I need to factor that in as well.

GIGABYTE GV-N75TOC-2GI G-SYNC Support GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card

Your graphics card is letting you down, the rest of the components are fine as long as you clocked your CPU. An Upgrade to a 2070 or 2080 super would almost double your framerates I'd expect...

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone! At High settings, I've got around 20 FPS in single player mode, which is not quite enough for normal flying. And at Medium settings, I've got 60-80 FPS in single player mode, which is fabulous, but the graphics are not that pleasing. Can someone help me what things to lower in High settings to get FPS 30-40, and not to ruin the graphics too much?

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone! At High settings, I've got around 20 FPS in single player mode, which is not quite enough for normal flying. And at Medium settings, I've got 60-80 FPS in single player mode, which is fabulous, but the graphics are not that pleasing. Can someone help me what things to lower in High settings to get FPS 30-40, and not to ruin the graphics too much?

I have years of DCS behind me with a subpar experience. But when you fly at 30ish frames per second, i guess you get used to it.

The other day, on a whim, I thought I'd play with video settings.

Anti aliasing is probably the most functional setting. It helps make the HUD and instruments clear and readable. So I've always had it on and never considered turning it off.

But guess what? Turn off MSAA and then instead turn AA on in your video card software...BOOM! Looks better and my FPS doubled.

I went from 24-36ish FPS to a consistent 60

Hope that help!

My Laptop: Windows 10 (64-bit) / 9° Intel® Core™ i7-9750H / Nvidia gtx 1650 4GB GDDR5 128-bit / 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-19200 SDRAM SODIMM (Ram)/ 1TB 5400 rpm (HDD) + 128GB M.2 SSD PCIe NVMe

I have years of DCS behind me with a subpar experience. But when you fly at 30ish frames per second, i guess you get used to it.

The other day, on a whim, I thought I'd play with video settings.

Anti aliasing is probably the most functional setting. It helps make the HUD and instruments clear and readable. So I've always had it on and never considered turning it off.

But guess what? Turn off MSAA and then instead turn AA on in your video card software...BOOM! Looks better and my FPS doubled.

Hope that help!

Excuse me .what resolution you have in your setting in dcs ?

Hope that help!

DCS does not accept AA settings in NVidia control panel!

Of course, disabling MSAA in the game raises FPS drastically. But you will have jagged edges and flickering objects in the distance.

W10 64bit, i9 9900K, 64GB RAM, GTX 1070Ti, 27" FullHD monitor

Of course, disabling MSAA in the game raises FPS drastically. But you will have jagged edges and flickering objects in the distance.

exactly

nvidia AA has no effect in DCS , for my on my ultrawide 34' 3440x1440 turning MSA even at 2x looks terrible, I cant play nothinh less than msaa 4x and SSLR on;);)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Yes it does. You have to enable MSAA in game first but enabling MFAA and choosing enhance application AA setting in Nvidia control panel will keep AA yet improve performance. Even in VR.

Yes it does. You have to enable MSAA in game first but enabling MFAA and choosing enhance application AA setting in Nvidia control panel will keep AA yet improve performance. Even in VR.

I have tried this solution, but I have not seen any improvement, I continue to have FPS around 65/70 with A10 screens on, looking for targets in SP.

In MP with other aircraft parked near me 35/40 FPS on the ground ...

It's an game optimized whit the as*hole ...

I attach my settings. What could I change based on my system settings (signature)?

Ciao

Screen-200728-130928.png

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU i7 7700K@4.5ghz * COOLER ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO * MB MSI Z270 Gaming M3 * RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 2400MHz * GPU Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini * SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for S.O. * SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for DCS * HDD 1TB WD Blue x2 * PSU Corsair CX650M * SO Windows 10 pro 64bit * TrackIR 5 * Saiteck x52 Pro

Here I prepared a video at my channel for Nvidia;

And for AMD;

Hope these helps...

Thanks cronustr75,

I see that you advise not to use MSAA or SSAA for those who get low Fps, but it is really bad to see this game.

I tried nvcp FXAA, but the result is poor. So, I don't think I have any other solutions ... my 1070Ti "is a real toilet" :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU i7 7700K@4.5ghz * COOLER ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO * MB MSI Z270 Gaming M3 * RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 2400MHz * GPU Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini * SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for S.O. * SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for DCS * HDD 1TB WD Blue x2 * PSU Corsair CX650M * SO Windows 10 pro 64bit * TrackIR 5 * Saiteck x52 Pro