Shilkas turn on radar only to lock

Hi all. I've been flying the Harrier alot lately and I've noticed that the shilkas seem to behave weird. They seem to have their radars off just until the moment you are close enough to be engaged and suddenly the rwr lights up. Should't they be trying to lock you already while you are still out of range? Also usually you have to pretty much fly over them to make them notice you...

I wondered about that too, not sure how this is supposed to work IRL.

How would the Shilka even know when to turn on Radar if not already searching? Different SAMs, like TOR have similar behaviour, it will only start to activate when inside it's range, but how would it know that?

On the other they would probably know from search radar or similar, but in DCS you can't really knock that out and have an effect?

I wondered about that too, not sure how this is supposed to work IRL.

How would the Shilka even know when to turn on Radar if not already searching? Different SAMs, like TOR have similar behaviour, it will only start to activate when inside it's range, but how would it know that?

On the other they would probably know from search radar or similar, but in DCS you can't really knock that out and have an effect?

Even a search radar would show up on the rwr... for me sams show up way before beeing in range...