8700K cpu with gtx1080(non-ti)

vracan

Hi yall,

I'm presently running with cpu 4670, GTX1080 turbo(non-ti), 12GB mem.

I notice alot of stutters, and double-image aircraft when they fly by which makes the game suck for me in VR.

So I'm thinking of upgrading to new pc with 8700K cpu, but, before I do I like to know if anybody here thinks it will be worth the 1500$ I need to dish out for new cpu/pc?

From task manager, the cpu usage was only 50% where graphics often soared to 90%!!...so now not sure if cpu/memory upgrade will do the trick.

Opinions please?

Edited by vracan

yes, I know the 4690 is absolute garbage for VR, and you're on the 4670? Yes get the 8700. ~$375? No brainer.

(You'll go from something like your 7500 passmark score to a 16000) @5Ghz

yes, update your ram immediately. 16bg or 32 gb clocked or oc'd to 3200+

prob new mb needed?

no, on the video card. prices too high

i7-6700k @ 4.69Ghz / 1080GTX +10% / MSI z270 Gaming M7 / Oculus CV1 VR / 16GB DDR4 2850Hz / Corsair H100i v2 / CH Products

From another post:

I bought an Alienware Area51r2. I've always built my own systems, and they're usually in the top systems list on 3dMark and BOINC. Before purchasing this system I had specced out parts on Microcenter.com for purchase to build my own, but decided to go compare the costs of Alienwares. At this point something occurred to me; when buying really big servers for work for developers to bang around on for test servers, I'll sometimes go to Dell's remanufactured site and buy a server that would be $50,000 new for $10,000 used. I've never once received a bad server and the warranty period is the same as a new system. So out of curiosity I went to outlet.dell.com and looked at the Alienware systems for sale. What I found out is that most of the systems on their site are systems that were returned as 'lemons' by spoiled rich kids after they received their first blue screen of death. The QA team at Dell does deep diagnostics and replaces entire subsystems if they throw any errors, and of course they're reimaged. So, back to my buying experience: I ended up finding an Alienware system for less than $3000 that had the same exact parts that I had specced for almost $5000 to build my own(due to intel extreme processor and dual top of the line EVGA vid cards). Of course, it was a different case, but everything else was basically the same (and the case for the Alienware Area51r2 by the way, is hands down the best case I've ever seen). Now, you're probably thinking what I was thinking.. "this thing is going to be full of bloatware and you're going to have to wipe the system and reinstall a nice clean OS". Nope.. it had zero bloatware, and I have to say that the proprietary software it did have was stable and useful. Their Alienware Command Center makes overclocking a breeze, and I was able to quickly create a nice LED color schema that I liked (and I was planning on just turning that flashy crap off). I've been in the computer industry for more than 20 years, and before that I worked on fighter jets, so I'm familiar with technology. I can easily recommend the Alienware Area51r2.. this system SMOKES.. and it has a warranty that will outlive its use.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

I have the 8600K and a 1080. Its fast, very fast :)

A coffee lake chip has to have a Z370 board and DDR4 so take that into account. This was my upgrade path and it cost about 540 quid having got the GTPU earlier :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

yeah the 50% is probably not realistically profiled as it's aggregating all your cores.

You need to go into performance monitor and look at the CPU usage for just dcs.exe and see how that performs ( You probably find that hitting 100% )

To jump on this thread, I have a similar problem. According to both task manager and afterburner my 1080 is running at 90%+ and often hitting 100% whereas no cpu cores are hitting above 50%. Thereofre i aorried that the £700 I am about to spend upgrading my old 3570k to a 8700k will be wasted with no noticeable improvement in VR performance.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

• 2 weeks later...
yeah the 50% is probably not realistically profiled as it's aggregating all your cores.

You need to go into performance monitor and look at the CPU usage for just dcs.exe and see how that performs ( You probably find that hitting 100% )

The 50% max I reported was while I was monitoring all 4 cores(no cores go over 50%). Not sure how to monitor just for DCS.

To jump on this thread, I have a similar problem. According to both task manager and afterburner my 1080 is running at 90%+ and often hitting 100% whereas no cpu cores are hitting above 50%. Thereofre i aorried that the £700 I am about to spend upgrading my old 3570k to a 8700k will be wasted with no noticeable improvement in VR performance.

So have you tried using 8700K yet?

Yes, I am now using the 8700k at 5.0GHz and I am seeing no discernable increase in performance. I still need to OC my RAM from 2133MHz to 3200MHz and hopefully that will help.

So if you are only playing DCS then I don't see the point in upgrading yet or maybe get an 8600k but if like me you also play some multi-core games such as Star Citizen the the difference is night and day.

DCS VR is pretty much GPU dependent and don't think the 1080 is quite man enough for it.

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Yes, I am now using the 8700k at 5.0GHz and I am seeing no discernable increase in performance. I still need to OC my RAM from 2133MHz to 3200MHz and hopefully that will help.

So if you are only playing DCS then I don't see the point in upgrading yet or maybe get an 8600k but if like me you also play some multi-core games such as Star Citizen the the difference is night and day.

DCS VR is pretty much GPU dependent and don't think the 1080 is quite man enough for it.

Really - no difference with a 8700k? Damm such a shame. We are talking about DCS v2.5 right?! Right now DCS freaking unplayable in VR for me with my GTX1080 turbo. I don't understand how quite a few people say that they are running DCS pretty smooth and with no double-images on planes flying by...but then again they are using gtx1080ti version, so maybe that's the ticket??

Katdog how is DCS running for you? Aircraft double-images?

Edited by vracan

Yes 2.5. DCS is very playable for me. I have a microstutter every 3 secs which is only noticeable when flying below 200ft so I am not flying helos at the moment. I run PD at 1.5, MSSA off (FXAA On in Nvidia CP) everything high exception traffic and hear blue at low and visible range and shadows at medium. Clutter is at 1000m, trees are 100% and AF filtering is x16. I am running flat terrain shadows with cockpit illumination and deferred shading on. Preload is at max. I find that forcing ASW and 45FPS through oculus tray tool makes it a bit smoother. With these settings I get a solid 45.FPS at all time but microstutters (they don't go away if I lower settings) and the odd pause when looking a certain direction.

I have a 1080 and play in VR at 1.4 PD and most settings quite high and it runs very well, not sure what you are on about.

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

DCS 2.5 on the Caucuses map is very demanding. I have an OC'd i7-8700k (4.7GHz normally, 5.0 doesn't offer anything I find), 1080 TI and 16GB DDR4 3200 and holding 90 fps on the deck at high detail settings (not preset) is difficult. The game is beautiful, and that beauty comes at a hefty price. One thing to note is PD is a massive FPS killer, as you'd expect. I can get away with 1.5-1.6 PD over Normandy but on the free map, I have to chop it down to 1.3 to have any chance of seeing 90 fps with high object draw distance. The two higher draw distances are out of the question unless I want a locked 45 fps.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

Yes 2.5. DCS is very playable for me. I have a microstutter every 3 secs which is only noticeable when flying below 200ft so I am not flying helos at the moment. I run PD at 1.5, MSSA off (FXAA On in Nvidia CP) everything high exception traffic and hear blue at low and visible range and shadows at medium. Clutter is at 1000m, trees are 100% and AF filtering is x16. I am running flat terrain shadows with cockpit illumination and deferred shading on. Preload is at max. I find that forcing ASW and 45FPS through oculus tray tool makes it a bit smoother. With these settings I get a solid 45.FPS at all time but microstutters (they don't go away if I lower settings) and the odd pause when looking a certain direction.

I see that you are running your cpu at 5ghz. I had smooth frames with my cpu at its normal speed. The minute I overclocked my CPU i got a microstutter every 5 seconds. Not sure if youve tried any other cpu settings just thought i'd throw that out there.

Airdog

| Asus ROG Strix Z370-E Mobo | i7 8700K @ 4.7 | 32 GB DDR4@3200mhz | Gigabyte 2080Ti OC 11GB| Samsung M.2 960 Evo 250Gb and 500Gb | Win10 Pro | Hotas Warthog #02743 | Track IR 5 | Toshiba 47" 120hz LED | Acer 23" Touchscreen | HELIOS |Oculus Rift-S|

http://www.blackknightssquadron.com/

Ghosting (the aircraft double images you're describing) is usually from a low refresh rate. Might have more to do with the headset than the graphics card...

I don't get any "ghosting" in warthunder, elite dangerous or any other game I play, so don't think it is my headset. I am quite sure it is ASW artifact.

Edit: Finally found a way to disable ASW in DCS(using profile in oculus tray tool), and the aircraft flying by double-images are gone! However overall game judder now introduced. One step forward and one step back. Guess DCS is much more demanding than warthunder or elite dangerous. I already have a GTX1080 ,guess it is time to upgrade my cpu/mobo.

Edited by vracan

• 2 weeks later...

how does everyone check their FPS while in VR? I'm using a Samsung Odyssey. I have to take off the headset and check out a device portal thing in a browser, very inconvenient.

Running 8700k @4.9ghz and 1080. With the Odyssey, I could barely sustain 45fps in the Viggen rocket attack mission with the VR graphic preset, which for me means everything low/medium. If I retain the same high settings used for my 1080p monitor the FPS goes down to sub 20 and unplayable. Tried different PDs, but never had good performance.

RCTRL PAUSE, RCTRL-END or RCTRL BREAK. It's one of those. You'll see the FPS in the upper left corner. I think it's RCTRL Pause. Give that one a shot first.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

how does everyone check their FPS while in VR?

There is also a setting somewhere in the SteamVR menu. I randomly found it once, but cannot locate it again. It's buried somewhere inside a menu in a menu in a menu, something about "Performance" "Frame Time Graph" "Show in headset" or something.

i9-9900K @5.1Ghz w/ 32GB RAM, RTX2080 Super w/ 8G, Samsung Odyssey VR HMD, 1 TB SSD, VKB Gladiator MKII, TM TWCS throttle, Saitek Pro Yoke, Saitek Throttle Quadrant x2, CH Pro Pedals, Obutto Ozone

YMMV,

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=195562

you should get a rough idea on what to expect just compare your current CPU performance to what the 2600K can give.

Unfortunately, I've yet to test 2.5 properly, Might do that once it's stable.