Exclude cockpit textures from Texture quality setting

Knock-Knock

Could the Cockpit textures be excluded from the Texture Quality Settings? When setting that to low or medium, some cockpit panels are effected by this, while others arent. And this is across all modules. That pretty much stops us?, at least me, from using anything but High. So cant really limit the vmem impact that way, which can be substantial with many units, planes etc, especially in MP.

• Like 1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

+1

This would also help vpilots with low spec rigs fully enjoy high fidelity cockpits with focus on flying the a/c and not caring about ground/objects quality. Current 'Low' settings make some things unreadable.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

+1 Great idea!

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Much obliged :thumbup:

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

+1

Interesting that for the same aircraft, at the same texture setting, you get parts of the cockpit unreadable and parts perfectly readable. See the attached pics for the Huey, one is at low texture setting and another is at high texture setting. See that the countermeasures panel is perfectly readable at low setting, while the rest is unreadable. Please also note the difference in frame rates!! This could make DCS 2.5 playable at lower end PC's!!

Unfortunately, this also happens to the A-10C, and medium textures are also unreadable. It's actually impossible to play the A-10C in any other setting than 'high'! It's worth mentioning that the Ka-50 has 100% perfectly readable and beautiful cockpit all around at low texture settings, and high FPS! So there's gotta be a fix for the A-10C and the other aircraft!!

417372702_hueylowtextures.thumb.jpg.5f73922874c1f1c30e7562ac6f23c499.jpg

29460503_hueyhightextures.thumb.jpg.83f2f960eb64f58e45c13a88cd94f0a8.jpg

Edited by PeaceSells

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Yeah, and this is on medium settings as well...

I've made a post about this on the Huey forums as well (different from the 2 about separate cockpit texture options)

Interesting how all of a sudden people are interested in this >.<

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

^^To be honest, I've never lowered textures settings before, only in 2.5 I was forced to start searching for stuff to lower and discovered that the texture settings have MAJOR impact on frame-rate on my system (only 2 GB of video memory). I planned to start a thread like this days ago, with many screenshots, but kept postponing and now of course someone else beat me...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

In some aircrafts like Mirage and Mig21, cockpit textures are detached from this setting so we know its doable.

With current engine this is a must and could be an easy way to find some smooth playing for non High-end computers.

Lets hope ED give this option some attention.

Edited by alexbap

Windows 7 Professional x64, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB,

Intel Xeon W5650(i7) @ 4.1ghz, Asus P6TWS motherboard, 24gb DDR3, 500GB SSD.

Hybrid joystick(Base: Saitek X55 - Grip:CH Fighterstick), Saitek X55 throttle, Saitek ruder pedals.

FWIW, I filed this request in the database. I don't know whether it'll get looked at, but at least we asked. It seems like a solid suggestion.

That is the minimum we can ask for, so thank you very much !

Great suggestion OP

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Interesting that for the same aircraft, at the same texture setting, you get parts of the cockpit unreadable and parts perfectly readable.

I confirm that with F-15C. Left and right panels are perfectly fine on 'low' but front panel is of very poor quality.

@SHaDoW STeP BG: Just checked DCSW1.5 and problem is there too but probably no one ever used 'low' settings, that's why.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Great idea indeed, to separate these into two settings.

Then what's stopping us to go fully:

Terrain Texture Quality

Model Texture Quality

Cockpit Texture Quality

Livery Texture Quality

Well, finger's better than nothing, if hand is too much.

EDIT: there's already 2 different settings in 2.5 so, that's not enough you say?

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • ED Team
Great idea indeed, to separate these into two settings.

Then what's stopping us to go fully:

Terrain Texture Quality

Model Texture Quality

Cockpit Texture Quality

Livery Texture Quality

Well, finger's better than nothing, if hand is too much.

EDIT: there's already 2 different settings in 2.5 so, that's not enough you say?

The settings are just for ground textures and everything else. Unfortunately ground textures aren't the biggest memory hog when you're on a big server like 104th, especially with custom liveries flying around

That aside, I wonder: would it be possible to, as a workaround, cheat the game into thinking it loaded a lower mipmap by upscaling the cockpit textures 2 or 4 times (for medium and low settings respectively)? Would it skip the fake top level mipmaps (that would be just the original top mipmap upscaled) and load the actual top level one? Or is the mipmap level selected by resolution?