Night flying...

Great read Beach, I love your AARs.

As for your question about the laser for the guns:

When you use your internal gun I suggest to use the laser all the time. With the laser running your fire control computer will have more accurate range information and will calculate a more accurate piper.

Without the laser your FCC will use your radar altimeter and airplane attitude to calcualate range using the "sentence of pytagoras". This works fine in flat terrain, but if the target has a different elevation than the ground bellow your aircraft, the CCIP will show wrong results.

For the gunpods the laser works a bit different. Without the laser your gunpods will simply shoot, so you can run your rounds along a convoy using level flight and gun depression for example. With the laser engaged, the gundpods will adjust depression automaticaly once you open fire to keep shooting on the same spot on the ground. A realy cool feature as you can open fire and imediatly begin your pullout, while your gunpods keep shooting on target.

As for your question about the laser for the guns:

When you use your internal gun I suggest to use the laser all the time. With the laser running your fire control computer will have more accurate range information and will calculate a more accurate piper.

Without the laser your FCC will use your radar altimeter and airplane attitude to calcualate range using the "sentence of pytagoras". This works fine in flat terrain, but if the target has a different elevation than the ground bellow your aircraft, the CCIP will show wrong results.

For the gunpods the laser works a bit different. Without the laser your gunpods will simply shoot, so you can run your rounds along a convoy using level flight and gun depression for example. With the laser engaged, the gundpods will adjust depression automaticaly once you open fire to keep shooting on the same spot on the ground. A realy cool feature as you can open fire and imediatly begin your pullout, while your gunpods keep shooting on target.

Awesome..that clears up a bit of my confusion..and will hopefully lead to some better results with the canon since my results have been pretty pathetic...

:thumbup: Thanks for the tip!

BeachAV8R

Beach, you must have a really kick butt system!

It's not a super-computer..I'd call it upper mid-range these days. P4 @ 3.4, 2GB RAM, 6800 GT PCIe (256MB)... I still get some stutters when I pour a lot of cannon shells into the ground..that can be aggravating when you are low to the ground and need to be as precise as possible. LOMAC looks great though..I love the environmental effects (lighting, rain, shadows..)

Regards..

BeachAV8R

It's not a super-computer..I'd call it upper mid-range these days. P4 @ 3.4, 2GB RAM, 6800 GT PCIe (256MB)... I still get some stutters when I pour a lot of cannon shells into the ground..that can be aggravating when you are low to the ground and need to be as precise as possible. LOMAC looks great though..I love the environmental effects (lighting, rain, shadows..)

Regards..

BeachAV8R

Heck, lomac sputters if you fart. It's the price we pay for amazing eye-candy. I have a Sempron 3000+, 512 RAM, 6700 GS and it can get annoying at times, but I love this sim.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

Shoot farther. Like in RL :D

Regards..

BeachAV8R

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

1) Drop from a higher altitude instead of flying over A/A. I'd rather have a Strela shoot at me on a run in rather than having to deal with all those rounds. You can dump flares like crazy and have a much better chance than you do against the Shilka close in. Especially low and slow. In fact, I can run in on Strelas head on and when the IR jammer is on and I'm pumping out flares, they'll decoy every time.

Good call. I was slightly limited on that mission due to the overcast ceiling above (a bit over 2000 meters)..but I could have been at the bases and steepened up my attack runs.

2) If you're going to make a gun run, attack from a steeper angle with manuevering flaps (1/2 flaps) and brakes on. As GG said, fire from further away because anything except a T-80 doesn't require multiple hits. Especially from the top.

Yeah..I finally figured out the half-flaps thing..it definitely aids in low speed maneuverability during low speed, high bank angle turns too. I definitely need to start shooting from further out and breaking away earlier instead of pressing in. Guilty as charged..

3) From the looks of the third pic you've posted, don't pull out as steep and jink a bit or just perform a 3 to 4g turn. You're flying in a straight line as evidenced by the tight pattern burst from the Shilka. You might as well be flying low and slow and level because even if you pull out and gain altitude those rounds have more velocity than your plane does. You only have to evasive turn till you're a mile (1.4k) from the Shilka because that's when it will stop firing. That's it's outside range.

Yep..I keep forgetting to "move the jet" to make it harder for the AAA to track me. That is one thing that always impresses me when I see cockpit video of aircraft that are on attack runs...they are almost constantly jinking, even when just flying inbound and outbound from the target area. I think I remember one guy (might have even been John McCain?) writing a story about how he used to do all kinds of wacky things with his jet once he crossed over the beach in Vietnam. His logic was if he was the one doing the most bouncing around then the enemy gunners on the ground would pick an easier target... :D Good logic there...

Thanks for the tips...

BeachAV8R

Here are my personal Su-25 tips:

First, fly the Su-25 instead of the T :) The standart version is faster and more maneuverable while generaly not having much less capabilitis. You only have to do without SEAD ( for wich the Su-25T doesn't realy have the flight performance anyway ), Vikhers ( wich is a weapon that just asks to get yourselfe killed in a high treat battlefield - wich it usualy is with tanks involved -) and a bit less fuel.

If the situation allows, make high alt bombing runs. Initiate from 5000m AGL, drop at about 4000m AGL and pull out not lower than 3000m AGL and you should be pretty much safe.

If high alt is no option because of overcast, radar SAMs or fighters, stay at low level. No need to fly NOE, but the closer you fly to the ground, the bigger the chance that some terrain will block LoS to some MANPDAS, especialy in rough terrain. If you hang around at 2000-3000m AGL, you will be engaged by every SAM in the area. I tend to fly at <500m over hostile territory in such situations.

Stay fast, above 800 kph, don't fly straight and use automatic flare ejection over the battlefield ( shift+Q ). You have about 4-5 minutes worth of flares in that mode, try to avoid hanging around longer over hostile territory than that. This way you have quite good chances to get trough alive. It is interesting that even the slightest continueing jinking will increase your surviveability against unnoticed MANPADS considerably ( when combined with auto flare ).

Try to fly with small weapon loads. Weight is important, but drag is even more. Fueltanks will reduce your topspeed a good 150 kph, Vikhrs, gunpods, ECM pods and the centerlinepods of the T-Frog are particulary draggy aswell. A nice standart loadout for the vanilla Su-25 are 4*B-8 rocketpods ( +2*R-60M if necessary ). This will provide high firepower for one attack run ( or even two if it must be ), while allowing topspeeds right to the aerodynamical limit of the airframe ( where the plane starts to push the nose down ). Remember that the faster you are, the harder you are to hit and the less time the bad guys have to shoot at you.

His logic was if he was the one doing the most bouncing around then the enemy gunners on the ground would pick an easier target... :D Good logic there...

hehe... here's a joke about that:

two guys having a swim in a lake when they see a tiger heading their way. they quickly get out when one guy starts putting his running shoes on. the other guy looks at him and says: you don't really think that you will be faster than the tiger in those... :doh: and the first guy responds: no... I think I'll be faster than you :D

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.