Data Cartridge

Skarp

The third element of mission configuration MUST apply directly to the specific mission file or there will conflict between Aircraft Settings and the mission file… these are the waypoint settings. As always, a mission is created with a set of waypoints and properties when the mission is created by the mission designer. For the Hornet though, we are greatly adapting this to account for a much more realistic Hornet waypoint system that accounts for up to 60 waypoints in the database, of which waypoints can be assigned properties of sequence 1, sequence 2, sequence 3, initial point, A/A waypoint, Pre-Planned (PP), or Pre-Briefed (PB). In the Mission Planner, the player would be able to then adjust these if desired on a per-mission basis. We are also looking to making the Mission Planner available in multiplayer.

It seems like ED currently does not plan to enable full client based mission planning that can be saved e.g. with a MDC (what OP was likely asking for).

The MDC in DCS will be great to setup your aircraft but will have limited use for the "standard" multiplayer use where a mission designer creates a (dynamic) scenario and not a specific "mission". The pilot has the responsibility to do his or her own planning for his or her own "mission" and configure the jet in MP. Hopefully we will be able to reduce the unnecessary, "unrealistic" and annoying time hitting buttons on the ramp with a combination of new tools by ED and great 3rd parties.

Being able to share your MDC settings with others would also be very helpful (especially for new players).

It seems like ED currently does not plan to enable full client based mission planning that can be saved e.g. with a MDC (what OP was likely asking for).

The MDC in DCS will be great to setup your aircraft but will have limited use for the "standard" multiplayer use where a mission designer creates a (dynamic) scenario and not a specific "mission". The pilot has the responsibility to do his or her own planning for his or her own "mission" and configure the jet in MP. Hopefully we will be able to reduce the unnecessary, "unrealistic" and annoying time hitting buttons on the ramp with a combination of new tools by ED and great 3rd parties.

Being able to share your MDC settings with others would also be very helpful (especially for new players).

Regarding the third person tools... I also am mostly interested in the multiplayer experience where you are dropped into a mission but you have no mission file for it. Sitting on the ramp, I would like to gather some coordinates from the F10 map and then quickly make up a data file that pretends it was made by ED's mission planning tool. This would then need to be loadable while I am sitting on the ramp (that sort of assumes they let us add files while already in the mission!) To simulate a future capability of being able to hook the F10 map clicks, I am currently doing something disgusting: I have a hook sitting on the clipboard change events and when you take a screenshot, it looks to see if there is LAT/LONG/ALT information on the screen where it would be if you were clicking on something in F10 map. Then it OCRs that information out of the bitmap. Yes, it is insane, but I wanted to see if it could work.

In the future, we would hopefully have a script hook that doesn't require changing the installed DCS files to get this information, i.e. something in Saved Games. Then we could build third party tools to create PP data by sorting these clicks into missions and finally rendering a "data cartridge" file. In a beautiful world, ED would let us have a button to browse data cartridge files in a Saved Games location while on the ramp, so we can import the stuff.

This wouldn't be simulating real processes of course, but dropping into a multiplayer mission is already not simulating reality. I think it is a quick way to pretend a DSU was previously made for you. We could call it Game-Ready Automated Mission Planning System (GRAMPS)

Edited by derammo
pun added

Regarding the third person tools... I also am mostly interested in the multiplayer experience where you are dropped into a mission but you have no mission file for it. Sitting on the ramp, I would like to gather some coordinates from the F10 map and then quickly make up a data file that pretends it was made by ED's mission planning tool. This would then need to be loadable while I am sitting on the ramp (that sort of assumes they let us add files while already in the mission!) To simulate a future capability of being able to hook the F10 map clicks, I am currently doing something disgusting: I have a hook sitting on the clipboard change events and when you take a screenshot, it looks to see if there is LAT/LONG/ALT information on the screen where it would be if you were clicking on something in F10 map. Then it OCRs that information out of the bitmap. Yes, it is insane, but I wanted to see if it could work.

In the future, we would hopefully have a script hook that doesn't require changing the installed DCS files to get this information, i.e. something in Saved Games. Then we could build third party tools to create PP data by sorting these clicks into missions and finally rendering a "data cartridge" file. In a beautiful world, ED would let us have a button to browse data cartridge files in a Saved Games location while on the ramp, so we can import the stuff.

This wouldn't be simulating real processes of course, but dropping into a multiplayer mission is already not simulating reality. I think it is a quick way to pretend a DSU was previously made for you. We could call it Game-Ready Automated Mission Planning System (GRAMPS)

Someone's gone a lot further using the method you tried, just use this instead: https://github.com/Santi871/DCSWaypointEditor/releases

It:

- Captures coordinates from the F10 map

- Lets you decide to capture them as MSN for PP mode or as waypoints (and you can set which sequence they should be in)

- Saves profiles with up to 8 MSNs or 60 waypoints

- You can import/export profiles to share them with your buddies

- Enters them all into the aircraft for you

I have installed the "Way point Editor", but can't get it to work! can some good soul direct me to a "How to?"

Old Pop,

Let me know where you are stuck and I will help you. I struggled with it at first but I figured it out. :smilewink:

I have installed the "Way point Editor", but can't get it to work! can some good soul direct me to a "How to?"

Read / go through the read me on GitHUB

https://github.com/Santi871/DCSWaypointEditor/blob/master/README.md

Make sure you have installed Google Tesseract (character recognition engine). It needs this to work.

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Read / go through the read me on GitHUB

https://github.com/Santi871/DCSWaypointEditor/blob/master/README.md

Make sure you have installed Google Tesseract (character recognition engine). It needs this to work.

I have been working with this, and think I have it setup right, I can get the waypoints added to the plane, the only thing that doesn't work is the "Capture from DCS F10 Map" it never imports the data, and says capture failed.

I have tried changes the coordinate types with no luck.

Someone's gone a lot further using the method you tried, just use this instead: https://github.com/Santi871/DCSWaypointEditor/releases

It:

- Captures coordinates from the F10 map

- Lets you decide to capture them as MSN for PP mode or as waypoints (and you can set which sequence they should be in)

- Saves profiles with up to 8 MSNs or 60 waypoints

- You can import/export profiles to share them with your buddies

- Enters them all into the aircraft for you

Thanks backspace. Saved me a lot of work right there... not all the work, but heck it was fun to experiment with ;)

I have been working with this, and think I have it setup right, I can get the waypoints added to the plane, the only thing that doesn't work is the "Capture from DCS F10 Map" it never imports the data, and says capture failed.

Do you play in VR? It doesn't work in VR as the OCR doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you play in VR? It doesn't work in VR as the OCR doesn't work.

Late update.

Also make sure you change the map to precision format DD/MM/SS.SS

Coordinate options cycled with LALT+Y from the F10 map.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It'd be nice to have the option to do a 'mission planning', using the mission editor, before flight, perhaps before commiting to an aircraft and clicking the 'fly' button, edit waypoints, add threat circles, change loadout, set cms programs, radio presets, etc with the option to save that locally, even for multiplayer games.

They did have some sort of cockpit setup thing in the works a couple of months ago. It looked pretty bare bones, but wags said it's working already and just needs an interface polish and would be implemented soon. As always, soon means takes forever.

• 1 month later...
What's going on with data cartridge and cockpit state preset functionality announced few months (or even a year?) ago?
Recent update on this is that it is still being worked on.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset